Brianmac - your muffins....

Page 2 / 4
greerg, Jan 21, 9:53pm
I used to make muffins by the score for lunches and competitive swimmers -hardly ever make them now although Pam's date and orange are still an occasional treat (as are the lemon cake and pumpkin loaves).I find that spraying the tins with a non-stick spray is more reliable than rubbing with oil or butter. The paper cases aren't so good on muffins from the freezer, or so the kids used to say.

valentino, Jan 21, 10:13pm
I personally have not used those paper cups yet (have seen them though) but was thinking like similar lines with baking paper as in general baking where one greases and-or flour them.

The use of Baking paper makes things in general baking a lot easier to remove from tins....

Another thought also, recently with Masterchef Australia, one of the entrants-cooks gave an example of putting a batter into such mould-tins, not to let the batter touch the sides when filling moulds, (trying to remember what he was doing re type of recipe), of course eventually it will touch the sides but would depend how much one puts into them.

Just floating extra thoughts.

Myself, usually a good fine oil spray and sometines a very fine light dusting with flour, and on the real sticky ones, put in circular greased paper bases the size of the bottom of the muffin moulds.....

Cheers.

Cheers.

cookessentials, Jan 21, 11:17pm
I use a non stick pand and ALWAYS give it a light spray of oil and have never had a problem I always wash the pans while they are hot and use a plastic brush to clean,then dry and pop back in the hot oven to dry thoroughly.

nzhel, Jan 22, 12:31am
Thanks so much 245sam
for posting the recipe and the link.
I have just been scolling thru all the muffin recipes posted and I'm sure I have put on weight just by reading all the delicious choices!

spot20, Jan 22, 5:23am
Thanks heaps guys - I think I am ready to try anew!! New tins would be a good start - any suggestions as to quality etc???

sumstyle, Jan 22, 5:41am
Actually, I use an old crappy muffin tin that at one time claimed to be non-stick but never was, and then I plop my individual silicone muffin things into each hole.Works a treat, muffins always brown up on the outsides...

Forgive me Pam/Brianmac/cookessentials - I know you abhore silicone!

cookessentials, Jan 22, 7:39am
Each to their own, I am just a bit of a purist and like my cakes golden instead of pale and pasty. Some people swear by silicone. Hey, use what ever works for you.

davidt4, Jan 22, 7:40am
Silicone moulds give you steamed muffins... not nice.

sumstyle, Jan 22, 7:50am
Of course I was teasing, I was impressed that you were prepared to hunt out mini loaf pans in silicone for me before Christmas, cookessentials.

I know what you mean by steamed muffins, davidt4, but I don't mind the sides of the muffins being soft given that the tops are crunchy - still tastes the same.

I don't find my muffins pale and pasty, they still brown up nicely on the sides.

snapit, Jan 22, 9:37pm
I was reluctant to try the silicone muffin pans but found some on special so thought I could afford if they didn't work, was pleasantly surprised and have since purchased indivudual ones in different sizes. Still use my metal ones and use all as I usually have a baking blitz . I also use them for making other things such as quiches savoury and dessert baking ,sticky daty being a favourite. That way I don't get tempted as I wrap and freeze and just take out enough for Mr.
I use the crinkle muffin cases at times and at other times I take the trays outside and spray with a cooking spray, taking it outside to spray alows the excess spray to drift away and reduce the amount that may be inhaled or settle on kitchen surfaces.
The muffins that I find worst for sticking are usually the bran type and ones that don't have much butter or oil in but letting them stand also helps, no major problems.
I use the Allyson Gofton recipe for the orange and date muffins and they are lovely, one day I will get around to trying these ones to see if they differ much.

ps have just looked at both recipes and they are different in the quantities of the various ingreds so will have a baking trial next baking day .

timturtle, Jan 22, 9:48pm
Hi Snapit can you please post your sticky daty recipe ? is it a pudd one made as muffin or as individual puds in a muffin tin ? I like any sticky date goodies, lol TIA

cookessentials, Jan 22, 11:13pm
no worries sumstyle LOL

snapit, Jan 23, 12:57am
timturtle I will look it out and post it sometime later as it is not already on my computer files. It is meant to be one cooked in a tin but I do it in the muffin tins as it suits me for later use.

timturtle, Jan 23, 1:01am
Thanks Snapit, crappy day here today, going to make those orange and date muffins and your comment about sticky date has me salivating for some of those as well ! lol dam the cold weather not good for the diet

unknowndisorder, Jan 3, 6:19pm
some of these recipes sound tasty :)

cookessentials, Jan 4, 12:47am
The orange and date muffins are so easy to make.

elliehen, Jan 4, 1:00am
Anything with dates for me :)

griffo4, Jan 4, 7:44am
l was just looking at this and see that 245sam posted the recipe for me
Thank you very much 245sam it has only taken me nearly a year to see it but l am off to make some now

cookessentials, Jan 4, 8:11am
LOL griffo4

cookessentials, Jan 7, 2:39am
How did they turn out griffo4?

griffo4, Jan 18, 8:35pm
Sorry cooks for not getting back sooner but they came out lovely and l will use the recipe again thanks
The muffins are just so nice as well l am off to make some now

maynard9, Jan 20, 10:50pm
I have just made your Orange and Date Muffins and they are gorgeous.I made the decision this morning I was going to make a different type but the thought of wading thru books and recipes didn't appeal.I have a folder I've printed out off here and decided I would just open the folder and if it fell on a recipe where I had all the ingreds that would be the one.It was yours that it opened at and they are now sitting warm in the tea towel waiting for hubby to come home for lunch - minus the one I tried - wink.I have already transferred the recipe into my book of favs - so thanks very much.I have a few of yours - Lemon Yoghurt Cake - in the bundt tin I bought off you recently at your lovely shop, and we love love love the pumpkin loaves.I always know if a recipe is yours it can be trusted and thank you for sharing them all so generously.I appreciate your contribution to this forum.It is people like you that we need to keep it the place I like to visit and learn from.

nzhel, Jan 21, 12:08am
Gosh
they sound delicious! Have had a very quick look on site and can't find the recipe.
If you have the time - would you mind posting it again!
Many thanks!

245sam, Jan 21, 12:17am
here you are nzhel, the following recipe is from:-

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic.php!f=15&t=612

"Pam's easy peasy orange & date muffins
These are a favourite in our house & can be thrown together pretty quick. They freeze beautifully (if you dont eat them all first! Chop 1 whole orange in food processor. 1/2 cup chopped dates;1 egg;3/4 cup c sugar;1/2 cup orange juice;120g butter;1 1/2 cup plain flour & 1 tsp each of baking powder & baking soda. I chop the orange & dates in processor then add butter & chop well,then all the other ing & lastly the flour sifted with the bp & bs.Grease muffin tins into oven at 170c until risen & firm to touch. They are also yummy with choc buttons added (the Nestle small ones) either in with the dates or omit the dates & make orange and choc chip. posted by brianmac"

cookessentials, Jan 21, 12:56am
Thanks maynard, I am glad you like them. They are also nice done with a few chocolate chips,although, I must admit, I like them just date and orange. Both the lemon yoghurt cake and the pumpkin loaves are just so easy to do aren't they! Brian and I are in the process of losing weight,so they are off our menu at the moment,but they would be my three all-time favourites. It was great to see you in the shop, I hope you were impressed LOL. We have had such great feedback so far. I hope there are some muffins left by the time your husband gets home!