Brianmac - your muffins....

Page 1 / 4
maynard9, Jan 20, 10:50pm
I have just made your Orange and Date Muffins and they are gorgeous.I made the decision this morning I was going to make a different type but the thought of wading thru books and recipes didn't appeal.I have a folder I've printed out off here and decided I would just open the folder and if it fell on a recipe where I had all the ingreds that would be the one.It was yours that it opened at and they are now sitting warm in the tea towel waiting for hubby to come home for lunch - minus the one I tried - wink.I have already transferred the recipe into my book of favs - so thanks very much.I have a few of yours - Lemon Yoghurt Cake - in the bundt tin I bought off you recently at your lovely shop, and we love love love the pumpkin loaves.I always know if a recipe is yours it can be trusted and thank you for sharing them all so generously.I appreciate your contribution to this forum.It is people like you that we need to keep it the place I like to visit and learn from.

nzhel, Jan 21, 12:08am
Gosh
they sound delicious! Have had a very quick look on site and can't find the recipe.
If you have the time - would you mind posting it again?
Many thanks!

245sam, Jan 21, 12:17am
here you are nzhel, the following recipe is from:-

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=612

"Pam's easy peasy orange & date muffins
These are a favourite in our house & can be thrown together pretty quick. They freeze beautifully (if you dont eat them all first!! Chop 1 whole orange in food processor. 1/2 cup chopped dates;1 egg;3/4 cup c sugar;1/2 cup orange juice;120g butter;1 1/2 cup plain flour & 1 tsp each of baking powder & baking soda. I chop the orange & dates in processor then add butter & chop well,then all the other ing & lastly the flour sifted with the bp & bs.Grease muffin tins into oven at 170c until risen & firm to touch. They are also yummy with choc buttons added (the Nestle small ones) either in with the dates or omit the dates & make orange and choc chip. posted by brianmac"

cookessentials, Jan 21, 12:56am
Thanks maynard, I am glad you like them. They are also nice done with a few chocolate chips,although, I must admit, I like them just date and orange. Both the lemon yoghurt cake and the pumpkin loaves are just so easy to do aren't they? Brian and I are in the process of losing weight,so they are off our menu at the moment,but they would be my three all-time favourites. It was great to see you in the shop, I hope you were impressed LOL. We have had such great feedback so far. I hope there are some muffins left by the time your husband gets home?

maynard9, Jan 21, 7:41am
Thanks 245am for posting the recipe.I didn't have the time at the time of original posting and have just come back on in case anyone is looking for it.That's what I love about this forum - helpful people. Only 2 muffins left.............. Hiding for his lunch tomorrow.

sumstyle, Jan 21, 8:38am
ha - after reading the recipe I had to make a late night (for me) foray to the supermarket to get the ingredients and I'm only just back...hmmm, shall I start baking now....why not...

cookessentials, Jan 21, 8:48am
It WILL be worth it LOL.

245sam, Jan 21, 8:57am
exactly, and why not sumstyle?
I've always loved dates but only recently tried the very yummy combo of orange and date so I must try Pam's recipe too but first tho'.....supper's at sumstyle's tonight!! and we're both in Christchurch too but the wind probably isn't blowing the right way for me to be able to locate the very tempting baking smells that will be coming from sumstyle's kitchen.Hope you enjoy the muffins sumstyle.:-))

sumstyle, Jan 21, 9:24am
Thanks they're in the oven now so I'm opening the window so that All of Spreydon can smell em!!

245sam, Jan 21, 9:54am
It's such a nice mild night here in Halswell, Christchurch so with the windows still wide open we'll keep our noses to the wind and think of you and your late night treat sumstyle.Enjoy!:-))

alebix, Jan 21, 11:01am
May I ask a silly question, but with the whole orange, its not peeled or anything, just chopped up and chucked in the processor?????

245sam, Jan 21, 11:06am
alebix, I haven't yet tried making those muffins but that's how I read the recipei.e."its not peeled or anything, just chopped up and chucked in the processor" - just the same as the whole orange is used in the same way for the Magical Orange Cake.:-))

maynard9, Jan 21, 7:32pm
Yep - whole orange

chrisynz, Jan 21, 7:34pm
would love the pumpkin loaf recipe as well thankyou

doug57, Jan 21, 7:44pm
orange and date scones are yum TOO!..I made some last year for the kids and they must have inhaled them!..One minute they were cooling on the bench, next time I looked they were crumbs!

griffo4, Jan 21, 8:03pm
orange and date scones yum does anyone have a recipe they would share l am off to make those muffins now. The whole orange cake is soo nice

245sam, Jan 21, 8:31pm
for you chrisynz,
http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=613

"Pam's Pumpkin Loaves
3 cups sugar;1 cup sunflower oil;4 eggs,lightly beaten;500g cooked,mashed pumpkin;3 1/2 cups plain flour;2tsp baking soda;1 tsp salt;1 tsp baking powder;1 tsp (not level) of nutmeg,allspice,cinnamon and ground cloves;2/3 cup of water. Cream sugar and oil, add eggs,mix well. Sift dry ingredients and add alternatively with water. Grease & flour TWO med loaf tins.Fill tins and bake at 170c for 1 1/2 hours. Test with skewer. Stand to cool 10 mins before turning out. Serve sliced with or without butter. Freeze and keep beautifully. posted by cookessentials"

for those who don't already know cookessentials is aka brianmac/Pam.:-))

245sam, Jan 21, 8:37pm
for you griffo4,

"Date Scone Recipe
2 cups all-purpose flour 2 tablespoons granulated sugar 2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/3 cup butter, softened 1/2 cup buttermilk 1 large egg 1/2 cup chopped and pitted dates 1 teaspoon grated orange peel Icing: 4 tablespoons granulated sugar 2 tablespoons orange juice 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour a baking sheet. 2. In a medium bowl blend together flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda; mix well. Add chopped butter and using a pastry blender or two knives scissor-fashion, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. 3. Add chopped dates and orange peel in the flour/butter mixture. Make sure you separate and blend dates well, as they have a tendency 'to stick together'. 4. In a small bowl mix the buttermilk and egg together, add to the flour/butter/date mixture. 5. Turn dough onto a floured surface. Add flour as you knead the dough, if necessary. Knead 12 to 15 strokes or until nearly smooth. 6. Use preferred method: 1) SCONE :Shape into an 8-inch dome. Using a serrated knife , score the dough into 8 wedges ( do not cut all the way through the dough). 7. 2) BISCUITS: Shape into a circle maintaining a thickness of about 1/2-inch. Cut into dough with a biscuit cutter, cut dough into 2-inch circles, reworking the scrapings as you go. 8. Place scones/biscuits on cookie sheet; bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until they reach a golden brown color. Remove from oven, place on cooling rack and drizzle with icing while still warm. 9. Icing: In a small bowl mix sugar with orange juice. Mix until sugar has dissolved. Brush over scones using a pastry brush. posted by lilangel19"

For lots more scone recipes (various flavours/types) have a look at:-

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=616

spot20, Jan 21, 8:46pm
I want to start making muffins for husbands lunches but get put off by gettin them out of the tins etc - some tips please from the experts - mine always stick!!

245sam, Jan 21, 8:56pm
spot20, I do not claim to be an "expert" but do you have non-stick muffin pans and do you lightly grease them even tho' they're non-stick?
It can help too, to leave the muffins to sit, in the tins, for 5 minutes or so - that allows them to firm-up a little making it easier to give them a gentle twist and so release them from the pan; however if the muffins are the type where a syrup (e.g. lemon juice and sugar) is poured over the cooked muffins do NOT allow them to get too cool in the tins as they will then definitely stick because of the sugar.

Hope that helps.:-))

sumstyle, Jan 21, 8:57pm
I make mine in silicone tins and have no problems getting my usual cheese muffin batch out...

valentino, Jan 21, 8:58pm
One can also get the paper muffin cups as an insert into the muffin trays.

Could be worthy to look at.

sumstyle, Jan 21, 9:01pm
But having said that, last night's attempt of the orange and date ones *did* stick...I put it down to being in a new house and not getting the hang of a temperamental oven yet!

elliehen, Jan 21, 9:27pm
I endorse valentino's suggestion.Those crinkled paper cups are not expensive, lots in a packet, and it means your muffin is ready-wrapped for a pick-up-and-go lunch.

245sam, Jan 21, 9:30pm
Although I haven't done this myself, I do know that as an alternative to the purchased muffin baking paper cups, squares of baking paper can also be used - personally I prefer to just lightly grease the tins and by doing that I very very rarely ever have any 'sticking' problems with muffins.:-))