Ham bone soup?

uli, Jan 2, 7:46am
bump for the Xmas ham bone people!

jodi8118, Jan 3, 12:19am
Can someone give me a yummy recipe for the christmas hambone and vege soup? i've searched but no luck. TIA

dilligaf_dah, Jan 3, 2:59am
Cover bone well with water add whole peeled onoin and carrot with some bacon stock (I use maggie stock or contintetal) Bring to boil simmer for an hour take out onion and carot add mixed veges to use choice to make it as thick as you would like we add cauliflower brocali zucchini carrots, beans, peas, pumpkin kumara add tomatoes if you like season to taste we add pepper/peppers simmer for several hours remove bone take of meat and chop meat into small pieces and add again to soup.We use the big preservin pot and freeze in icecream containers. so have plenty for another day.Tastes nicer made in big lots.more added so more flavour.

dilligaf_dah, Jan 3, 3:01am
Cover bone well with water add whole peeled onoin and carrot with some bacon stock (I use maggie stock or contintetal) Bring to boil simmer for an hour take out onion and carrot (chop up into smaller piecesand add to soup) add mixed veges of your choiceto make it as thick as you would like we add cauliflower brocali zucchini carrots, beans, peas, pumpkin kumara add tomatoes if you like season to taste we add pepper/peppers simmer for several hours remove bone take of meat and chop meat into small pieces and add again to soup.We use the big preservin pot and freeze in icecream containers. so have plenty for another day.Tastes nicer made in big lots.more added so more flavour.

vintagekitty, Jan 3, 3:06am
I just use kings soup mix. Boil the bone, let cool and skim of the fat, add soup mix and all the veges I can find, usually carrot, silverbeet, grated potato, capsicim, onions, garlic, celery, grated pumpkin, peas, parsnip, leeks, fresh parsley and boil. It always tastes good

buzzy110, Jan 3, 3:32am
This is a very good recipe. But why not freeze your bone and wait till winter rolls round and lovely, thick, tasty soups of this nature are more likely to be better appreciated?

toadfish, Jan 3, 4:11am
Thats exactly what I do and its delicious.... funnily enough we had it just before Christmas in the shade on the deck with fresh bread,,, was lovely

cookessentials, Jan 3, 4:21am
Just put our ham bone with some meat still attached into a bag in the freezer for soup in Winter.

jbsouthland, Jan 3, 7:32am
We had our ham bone made in to Pea and Ham Soup...just used the split green peas,was yum.

sjc72, Jan 3, 8:06am
I also do what vintagekitty does. It freezes well. I have tried freezing the bone and cooking the soup in winter, but didn't like the taste as much. So prefer to cook the soup and freeze it instead.

pickles7, Jan 2, 9:07am
lol
more like a heave

jodi8118, Jan 3, 12:19am
Can someone give me a yummy recipe for the christmas hambone and vege soup! i've searched but no luck. TIA

buzzy110, Jan 3, 3:32am
This is a very good recipe. But why not freeze your bone and wait till winter rolls round and lovely, thick, tasty soups of this nature are more likely to be better appreciated!

toadfish, Jan 3, 4:11am
Thats exactly what I do and its delicious. funnily enough we had it just before Christmas in the shade on the deck with fresh bread,,, was lovely

jbsouthland, Jan 3, 7:32am
We had our ham bone made in to Pea and Ham Soup.just used the split green peas,was yum.

sjc72, Jan 3, 8:06am
I also do what vintagekitty does. It freezes well. I have tried freezing the bone and cooking the soup in winter, but didn't like the taste as much. So prefer to cook the soup and freeze it instead.