Food to take camping - any ideas?

Page 1 / 2
dinkypinky, Jan 1, 11:31pm
Hi - I want to take some biscuits, cakes etc.. have two hungry teens!What do you take? what stores well?We will have a small fridge, but not a lot of space in it!Many thanks in anticipation.

rosielee3, Jan 2, 12:39am
hungry teens = noodles! ingredients to make damper with?

kiwibubbles, Jan 2, 1:47am
salami - some rolls of salami don't even need a fridge and keep very well, particularly venison salami which tastes quite nice

dinkypinky, Jan 2, 3:27am
hi thanks for above ideas!I was wondering about suitable foods for the "tins"- cakes loaves and biscuits that keep well.any ideas?:)

kiwibubbles, Jan 2, 5:06am
fruit loaf? i think a lot of slices and biscuits will keep very well in a tin... try chocolate slice, ginger slice... chocolate chippie biscuits

buzzy110, Jan 2, 5:46am
Weetbix, powdered milk, tins of fruit and long lasting modern day cardboard bread.

Tins of baked beans and spaghetti. Pre-cooked sausages (frozen to double as ice packs till defrosted - at least 3 or 4 packs. Mince and jars of pasta sauce. Onions.

What else do I see people eating in camp? Mmm. Tortilla chips, cans of refried beans, sour cream and bag of grated cheese. Instant noodles. Greenery = 1 small spring onion. Cool. Your boys will love that.

Don't ask me why but the toughest steak you can find, (cross cut blade is a good start) soya sauce, tomato sauce. Freeze meat to act as another ice pack.

One year an Island lady and her children turned up and she cooked absolutely yummy stuff that everyone sniggered at but here goes - Chop Suey - rice noodles, your tough steak, finely sliced vegetables and lots of soya sauce. She also taught her children how to make scone dough (flour butter, baking powder, salt, etc) and how to fry it up. They ate it with jam for dessert.Mostly they had fresh veg other times.

Eggs and bacon (the cheapest you can find). Tomatoes. Apples. Tinned fish. Cheap oil. Salt and pepper. Some rash individuals even take a lettuce but that is going too far in most camper's opinion. But you will need some sort of sugary salad dressing as well.

Masses of potato chips, dips and nuts. Chocolates and packets of biscuits. At least 2 pks of chips or similar per day.

Beer for Africa. Fellow campers take 1doz stubbies per day per adult male. **shrugs**. That is what they do and everyday 1 doz per adult male is consumed and sometimes more. Chateau de Cardboard. At least 2 per week for every adult female. Cola.

Left over Xmas ham. Marmite. Peanut butter. Sweet Thai chilli sauce is usually de rigueur?? Paper towels.

ant_sonja, Jan 2, 5:57am
that about sums it up I think ;-)

uli, Jan 2, 6:01am
Great list buzzy!
Should be copied and pasted on all the camping threads from now on.

kirinesha, Jan 2, 6:16am
Priceless Buzzy!

bedazzledjewels, Jan 2, 6:18am
She's in fine form alright!

buzzy110, Jan 2, 6:49am
Takes a bow. See the same foods coming out year after year.

cgvl, Jan 2, 10:00am
I take fruit loaves, and a mix of biscuits all home made, although this year I bought a box of biscuits for a change.

The ones I find that dont keep are things like chocolate and banana cake, and muffins will go mouldy quickly.

liamjosh, Jan 3, 12:56am
I always make a meatloaf and cook a corned beef and take that.Use it over the first 3 days for meals, sandwiches etc...and then use the frozen stuff that is thawed.

winnie231, Oct 26, 8:46pm
Bumping for the summer .

mazz1972, Oct 26, 8:57pm
If it's very warm weather, cakes, muffins, and probably even loaves, wont keep well.Uncooked slices like fudge or citris slice sort of thing wont fare well in heat either.Cooked biscuits/slices will keep much better.

Having said all that, you are gonna eat the stuff not keep it :o)

pickles7, Oct 26, 9:46pm
My Son would eat muesli for breakfast, take a dry pkt of noodles, an apple, a huge bottle of water and go fishing, for our dinner. Then one day Dad and I got to see where he went fishing.scary as, down the side of a clif, with only a no. 8 wire to hold onto. By jove that fish taste much better on his return after that.lol.

pickles7, Oct 26, 9:50pm
psssst. saves a bump .dinkypinky .how was ya camp!

pickles7, Oct 26, 9:54pm
Not if it is stored in "TIN" that will keep for ever. My family won't eat food out of "tin".yep take it all in "tin", then it should be good for many camping trips.

dinkypinky, Jan 1, 11:31pm
Hi - I want to take some biscuits, cakes etc. have two hungry teens!What do you take! what stores well!We will have a small fridge, but not a lot of space in it!Many thanks in anticipation.

rosielee3, Jan 2, 12:39am
hungry teens = noodles! ingredients to make damper with!

kiwibubbles, Jan 2, 1:47am
salami - some rolls of salami don't even need a fridge and keep very well, particularly venison salami which tastes quite nice

dinkypinky, Jan 2, 3:27am
hi thanks for above ideas!I was wondering about suitable foods for the "tins"- cakes loaves and biscuits that keep well.any ideas!:)

kiwibubbles, Jan 2, 5:06am
fruit loaf! i think a lot of slices and biscuits will keep very well in a tin. try chocolate slice, ginger slice. chocolate chippie biscuits

buzzy110, Jan 2, 5:46am
Weetbix, powdered milk, tins of fruit and long lasting modern day cardboard bread.

Tins of baked beans and spaghetti. Pre-cooked sausages (frozen to double as ice packs till defrosted - at least 3 or 4 packs. Mince and jars of pasta sauce. Onions.

What else do I see people eating in camp! Mmm. Tortilla chips, cans of refried beans, sour cream and bag of grated cheese. Instant noodles. Greenery = 1 small spring onion. Cool. Your boys will love that.

Don't ask me why but the toughest steak you can find, (cross cut blade is a good start) soya sauce, tomato sauce. Freeze meat to act as another ice pack.

One year an Island lady and her children turned up and she cooked absolutely yummy stuff that everyone sniggered at but here goes - Chop Suey - rice noodles, your tough steak, finely sliced vegetables and lots of soya sauce. She also taught her children how to make scone dough (flour butter, baking powder, salt, etc) and how to fry it up. They ate it with jam for dessert.Mostly they had fresh veg other times.

Eggs and bacon (the cheapest you can find). Tomatoes. Apples. Tinned fish. Cheap oil. Salt and pepper. Some rash individuals even take a lettuce but that is going too far in most camper's opinion. But you will need some sort of sugary salad dressing as well.

Masses of potato chips, dips and nuts. Chocolates and packets of biscuits. At least 2 pks of chips or similar per day.

Beer for Africa. Fellow campers take 1doz stubbies per day per adult male. **shrugs**. That is what they do and everyday 1 doz per adult male is consumed and sometimes more. Chateau de Cardboard. At least 2 per week for every adult female. Cola.

Left over Xmas ham. Marmite. Peanut butter. Sweet Thai chilli sauce is usually de rigueur! Paper towels.

bedazzledjewels, Jan 2, 6:18am
She's in fine form alright!