Easy yummy ciabatta bread

Page 6 / 6
kiwigoldie, Jun 21, 11:11am
ditto, for the ciabatta loaf can i use the Edmonds sure bake as i dont have the yeast only dried yeast! I use the surebake when i make other types of breads.

beaker59, Jun 21, 12:02pm
Probably a bit late now Griffo but what stage are you at if you are at the sponge stage then yes its very wet almost liquid in the morning when you add the rest of the flour it will turn into a nice dough.

The dough stage is still a little moist I sometimes add a little extra flour to get the consistency I like but also when kneading use lots of flour to keep it handlable.

Ciabatta is a 2/1 mix whereas the sourdough is a 3 to two mix so significantly heavier :)

fisher, Jun 21, 3:50pm
another ciabatta with my home made bacon bone soup. layers of real butter and devour. so scrummy.a nice evening meal on a chilly night, lunch the following day and the rest into ice cream tubs destined for the freezer for another cold rainy night or an easy weekend lunch.
I whizz up sunflower and pumpkin seeds coarsely.and add to the mix. 1.5 wholemeal and 2.5 std flour.I have a cast Iron bowl i put it in. spray with oil, light dusting of flour and flop the ciabatta mix in.Into oven and let sit for an hour.it rises about 2 inches. for a great high loaf.
Fire up 200c for 40 mins. beautiful brown top, sides and bottom and the seeds look quite effective in the top.

griffo4, Jun 21, 9:28pm
Thanks beaker l was at the dough stage when l asked
l made the sponge yesterday morning, l got a bit out of sync so l let it sit 9hrs then added the other flour and did what the recipe said and when l got to the last lot of kneading l found it moist but after adding some flour while kneading l got it to a nice stage but l didn't get to knead it enough to my liking (got called away) and l baked it late last night and cut it this morning and l am very happy about the results a nice crust and soft inside, l was expecting a brick,lol
l thought the adding flour and water to the starter was the sponge part then realised it wasn't, l know now it was the proofing
l am very happy with my first attempt and love it

my starter it is very active, l have put it in the fridge now and will pull it out and proof it in the morning then make the sponge that night and bread next day
Thanks to beaker and buzzy for all their advice l will carry on trying different recipes and reading heaps but l will be back for advice from you
Great to have people available who are happy to share their advice

Fisher l made the ciabatta bread using beakers recipe yesterday and we have been munching on that and yes fresh bread is always at its best with real butter plastered on top
Do you add yeast to your mix!

kaddiew, Jun 21, 9:46pm
I made beaker's ciabatta bread for the first time yesterday, and it's justdelicious. Chewy and holey, and so easy to make. Cheers.

beaker59, Jun 22, 12:07am
You are welcome Griffo re the sourdough .

It is a nice Ciabatta EH! not my recipe though sadly :) its from foodwishes.com

rozke, Jun 22, 10:34am
rubbed olive oil on slices of bread and put in the oven to toast with a stew was lovely

elliehen, Jun 22, 11:04am
I can't imagine how anyone who has given up bread (for whatever reason) isn't craving it right at this moment ;)

fisher, Jun 22, 1:56pm
Hey ellie. I have mentioned many times about adding the sunflower and pumpkin seed when coarselyground up but no one has every replied about adding them. :{oh well. maybe one day someone will try it.
Kathy suffers from heart burn when eating white bread and I rarely have it now. We have taken up Vogel type breads. frayas.etc.and of course this recipe as it is so easy to do.
Bulk chicken soup next made from 6 skinned chicken thighs .and naturally with this bread (seeds added lol) and another nice freezer stash for when one is lazy.:}

griffo4, Jun 22, 9:10pm
fisher how much yeast do you add!
l have looked at your recipe and will try it when l am next making bread as l have pumpkin and sunflower seeds so will let you know

fisher, Jun 22, 11:32pm
Thank you griffo. think you will like it.:}
1.5 cupswholemeal flour
2.5 white flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 tsp yeast
Stir this up well in your metal mixing bowl
add drizzle of olive oiland 2 cups WARM water .mix it all well add a little more water if needed.
Tea towel over the top and leave for 18 hours.
Cast Iron camp oven base sprayed with cooking oil and then lightly dusted with flour. warm this in your oven for a few mins and flop (all) your bread mix into it. leave it alone. dont prod it.can add some whole seeds to the top by pressing in and make a couple of slits with a sharp knife.light dusting of flour over the top and leave in pre-heated warm oven for 1 hour.
1.5 hours before dinner is ready. fire the oven up to 200c and set timer for 40 mins.Oven off, leave door ajar.for 30 mins. remove and place on rack for last 20 mins . slice when nice and warm and lay lashings of real butter over the top.Looks like a professional bought loaf as perfectly formed and browned crust all over, the thickness of vogels bread.
It rises again before you turn the oven on so have a "high" slice.
Enjoy. we love doing it this way after having flopped it on an oven tray before and be nice to see what you think.:}

griffo4, Jun 23, 12:07am
l do have a 3 1/2 ltr cast iron glazed oval casserole dish and l have a pizza stone

Also what temp is the oven for the preheat for 1hr!

Last ! how much seeds!
l will mix this up tomorrow night if l am not too tired
l will get the stuff ready today l know it will be good as l never have a fail with your recipes
Thanks

beaker59, Jun 23, 12:47am
I have been a ground pumkin seed fan for years and use it as a substitute for breadcrumbs when crumbing Viener schnitzel etc I do use it in my Sourdough sometimes too quite succesfully. Have to admit I haven't tried it in the Ciabatta recipe though not sure why I will try it next time :)

Certainly Pumkin seeds have good effects as stress modulators and many other benifits.
http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-health-benefits-of-pumpkin-seeds.html

griffo4, Jun 23, 1:10am
Oh beaker thanks for those ideas l can imagine it on schnitzel and l was thinking of adding grains to my sourdough once l get more familiar with it

fisher, Jun 23, 4:10am
just 50c. its only to warm the oven environment for the loaf to rise.
I just "flop/push"the mix into the floured camp oven and dont do anything else.One point NO LID. leave open.when baking.dont need the pizza stone.2-3 tbsp of sunflower and 4-5 of pumpkin.pumpkin are cheaper so go for it if you want. .remember we are leaving them quite coarse and just broken up. then when its ready to go, I just sink a few whole ones of each.into the top for show.looks great. tastes even better.

griffo4, Jun 23, 5:13am
Thanks fisher l knew not to use the lid and thanks for the temp and seeds
l will crush some up but not too much and will remember to do the tops
Will let you know how it goes but l know it will be good

beaker59, Jun 23, 5:24am
Personally I am a bit neutral over adding grains, however I do like to try other flours I have made sourdough with rye, and Spelt which are great. I saw a video on Youtube on sprouted wheat bread which I am going to do next.

Edit to add, yes Fisher is quite right the Pumkin seeds are very cheap I get them in 500g packets and throw the lot into the food processor which reduces them to breadcrumb size very quickly then keep them in the fridge in a Jar, for broken ones for salads I use a rolling pin.

fisher, Jun 23, 5:27pm
Beaker59.I am blessed to have a great vege garden and now a glasshouse.already getting tomatoes and the lettuce grow so well when applied with worm pee.this allows us to have salads even tho it is winter and with my capsicums still producing (go figure) and radish and spring onions galore. these all make for a fantastic fresh vege salad.
.I toast the pumpkin , sunflower , sesame.and on occasion pine nuts and then crush coarsely in a mortar and pestle.balsamic vinegar is the simple dressing usedand the seeds are sprinkled on just before serving.
they add a great lift to a basic green salad. served beside a marinated chunk of steak and mushrooms in butter garlic,parsley and periperi sauce

griffo4, Jun 23, 7:26pm
My capsicums were producing until the last frost which caught me on the hop but l have beans growing and peas so looking forward to eating them soon l don't have a glass house just an area fenced off with tin and clearlite but it produces so much
Thanks for the ideas about the seeds on top of salads

kiwigoldie, Jun 24, 12:33am
YUMMO!.we just had this ciabatta for lunch with soup today. absolutely wonderful and I used half a teaspoon of Edmonds surebake as I didnt have any pure yeast.

beaker59, Jun 24, 2:16am
Yes fisher it must be great to garden in the north. unfortunately no real room for a glasshouse here but still grow my salad garden through winter currently cos, baby spinach and corriander some radishes and shallot greens(just like spring onion but year round if you rotationally plant) never been able to grow the capsicums as big house on tiny section so nowhere gets full sun all day. Still we manage to grow at least 50% of our veg year round.

buzzy110, Jun 24, 4:31am
Same here. I just gather a selection of seeds and wander out side and sow them in ground I prepared much earlier on for that purpose. My salad garden is thriving. Also I buy spinach seedlings and plant them as well. No need to wait for everything to get big, I just pick bowls full of leaves when needed.

But back to bread. I have just 'reconstituted' one of my frozen starter balls by defrosting it and mixing it into a standard starter mix - 1 cup of water, 1 cup of flour, and it is working nicely, even though it is much slower at present. I'll probably have to refresh it one more time and then it will be ready for breadmaking. I am getting low on frozen bread.

griffo4, Jun 26, 8:02am
l made fishers bread last night and it is very nice as l knew it would be
l only had one glitch in that l forgot to dust the base of dish with flour and of course it stuck to the bottom even though l had oiled it well and the bottom of the bread stayed in the dish but we pulled it out and ate it hot with lashings of butter so it was no lose but my waistline will have gained,lol
Thanks for sharing