Some yummy to take as a plate

chrisynz, Apr 20, 10:34am
for an evening party.. nibbles that r tasty , not too expensive and different.. some thing special

schnauzer11, Apr 20, 11:00am
Lordy-just gave instructions for a great thing I do,dead easy,always a hit,and it's gone into cyber-space! Happy to relate over the phone-Kate 03 942 4056.It's so easy,but,on paper it takes ages!! Uses ready-rolled pastry and cheese.

kinna54, Apr 20, 11:24am
Angels on horseback. There are different versions of these, but they always look impressive. Assuming you are wanting savoury?the cheese ball variations are always nice, served with an assortment of crackers, or the hollowed out bread with the hot cream cheese dip.
Otherwise a nice platter of crudites and dips.

nzl99, Apr 20, 11:57am

roys351, Apr 20, 12:05pm
something easy and quick is mix up surumi and thousand island dressing and make up just like you would asparagus rolls, just dont make the mixture to wet, also if you add some shrimps and more dressing can m ake a great salad

roys351, Apr 20, 12:18pm
how do you make these things, more so the hot cream cheese dip thing and angels on horseback?

roys351, Apr 20, 12:19pm
i think we want quick and easy

rainrain1, Apr 20, 7:58pm
this is a bit hard to explain, but the end result is very tasty

Cut a french stick into quarters or thirds
Using a sharp knife carefully cut off thin layer of bottom crust
Slice open but NOT right through
Remove two 2/3rds of bread along the roll leaving the remaining third on top side.
Smother insides with plenty cream cheese
Add relish, ham slices, rocket lettuce, (any tasty filling of your choice really)
Roll TIGHTLY in tinfoil and refridgerate overnight
Unroll and cut bread on the diagonal into little tasty slices

dezzie, Apr 20, 8:01pm
I do the surimi roll thing as well, but use crab sticks, they are the same stuff, bread, lettuce leaf, mayo, crab stick, roll it up, the lettuce leaf stops the mayo getting on the bread so it doesn't go soggy.

nzl99, Apr 20, 8:37pm
Poster one said not "...not too expensive... and different..."I think I filled that brief well. :P

All are incredibly easy, mini meatballs, fish cakes, rice paper rolls, dumplings...very tasty little bites that cost sweet fanny all.

dalkemade, Apr 20, 11:29pm
Hi nz199. There always has to be a knocker doesnt there! I wanted to get the fish cake recipe and got all the pictures up but could not find the recipe there. Any suggestions please?

nzl99, Apr 21, 12:23am
Haha, I was saying it tongue in cheek. ;-)Click on each photo... it should give you the ingreds and method below the enlarged photo.

nzl99, Apr 21, 12:26am
Yep, it's all there.Just make smaller ones for finger food and serve with a dipping sauce... I'm a fan of good ol' sweet chilli... if you don't have an ingredient, just subsitute for something similar... it's a pretty 'fluid' type basic recipe... works for prawns and crab too.

bearskin, Apr 21, 12:30am
Sushi?

beaker59, Apr 21, 1:08am
Fish cakes would get my vote as incredibly easy tasty and a little diffferent not incredibly cheap if you have to buy fish though the cheap fish make excellent fish cakes so you can use Kahawai hoki trevelly or red cod rather than snapper or blue cod.

another awesome finger food I do sometimes is mussel fritters cooked in small balls.
My recipe copied from elsewhere is
There is a trick to Mussel fritters, shell them live do not steam open its actually quite easy once you get the knack. Then cut each Mussel into 3 pieces and put in a bowl for each dozen good sized mussels add a finely chopped onion, a finely chopped tomato and a handful of chopped herbs like basil and corriander. I add crushed garlic and chilli but thats optional then add 2 or 3 tablespoons of flour an egg and a 1/4 tsp of baking powder. I sometimes add a pinch or two of curry powder too. Then stir well and fry in a mix of rice bran oil and butter. small ones for finger food or a nice big fritter for a meal.

stevee6, Apr 21, 1:13am
Fruit platter never goes amiss either - seems to be the one plate people always take a piece from...

lakestar, Apr 21, 2:03am
I just did the easiest thing ever for a birthday party and kids and adults LOVED It.

Cut up watermelon into varoius shapes and thread onto small skewers alternating with marshmallows.I used 3 chunks of watermelon and 2 marshmallows for each. It was really fun, looked fantastic, a bit healthy a bit decadent an d tasted fantastic. and they all were gone before anyone touched the rest of the party LOL. I got the small skewers from woollies for a couple of dollars.