Congratulations Dame Alison Holst

Page 2 / 2
glory4, Jan 1, 12:52am
Congratulations Dame Alison - well deserved and a wonderful person

olwen, Jan 1, 12:58am
Her sister taught me (at least in part), at Kaikorai Valley HS in the 1960's

elliehen, Jan 1, 4:28am
I heard her say, when quizzed, that she hasn't heard anything about it ;)

eastie3, Jan 1, 4:46am
I used Alison's recipes more when I had a young family to feed and not a lot of money to spare.Over the years as I developed my palate and had more discretionary income, I discovered other food writers, but she introduced me and many of my friends to new foods and how to cook them.Her honour is well deserved.

However there is no reason to consider her as a potential GG,what a very strange suggestion to make.

katalin2, Jan 1, 8:12pm
I have all her 12 Kitchen Diaries- dog eared and splattered, used them all the time when feeding 3 growing children- still go back to them from time to time, and some recipes have become firm family favourites. A well deserved honour.

bedazzledjewels, Jan 1, 8:19pm
The expected answer! Maybe it'll be the Mad Butcher instead.

elliehen, Jan 2, 12:41am
Now he would be FUN!

Wouldn't the lips purse and the pinched nostrils lift in some circles - the same circles where objection was made to Helen Clark's wearing of dressy pants to entertain the Queen ;)

eastie3, Jan 2, 3:52am
elliehen wrote:

Now he would be FUN!

He certainly would !The Butch would jazz up the State Dinners where I expect he would be cooking sausages and chops on the barbie. As for Honours ceremonies,he'd likely be slapping the new Knights on the back and bellowing "good on ya mate,to be fair ya deserve the gong,you're a good bas***d".

leigh71, Jan 4, 5:06am
I dislike the titles but I have to admit that in this case it is well deserved.
My eighteen year old niece is moving into her first flat & starting her first job so I'm in the process of choosing an Alison Holst cookbook for her.
Alison Holst has made a huge contribution to NZ way of life.

lynja, Jan 4, 5:22am
I have always loved her cook books, in particular the little preambles she has for each recipe.

elliehen, Jan 3, 3:18am
I think the best cookbooks are those with 'preambles' where the chef has a friendly chat to the reader :)Julia Child did that too.