make your own vinegar

Page 18 / 19
mwood, Dec 7, 9:38am
I've given up looking for a live vinegar here and bought this online as it says it is live, has mother etc:
1 x Braggs Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (10451) = $12.50
Size 946ml
-------------------------------
------------------------
Sub-Total: $12.50
Standard Delivery ( South Island): $5.35
G.S.T. Content: $1.98
Total: $17.85

pickles7, Dec 7, 6:43pm
.That is over the top.mwood. evil.That means you will need to get it to come together at the end.I am going to get the malt and the yeast today, get that brew started.I won't be using the vinegar this year but that is not a problem .I will pasteurise the vinegar and it will last for ever.

pickles7, Dec 7, 8:49pm
It was so easy .mwood.not worth it. Mother vinegar is a wild thing , by the sounds of things , she will consume all of the raw vinegar if you don't pasteurise it. I have noticed the small bottle has got more growing as I am always opening the bottle letting in more air. I have given two Ladies here in Hastings some of my raw wine vinegar to get them started.They were keen as at the tasting, but really unless you use heaps it is not worth the effort.I would use at least 3 gallons a year, already used 10 liters.nothing wronge with what I have made with bought vinegar, it is hard to comprehend how much better both sauces would have been with my own vinegar.lol.

mwood, Dec 7, 8:56pm
OK - my call then - I'll be happy to share my "mother", when it's ready, should anybody require some. Vinegar is like wine you can never have to much of it :-)

pickles7, Dec 12, 12:21am
OK , I am on my way to making 20 liters of malt vinegar . In a large pot, I will bring 7 litres of water to a boil and add a , 1.1 liter tin of Black Rock . Dark , malt extract [ no additives at all ] . Stir , and cook uncovered for 20 minutes . Add 12 cups of unrefined whitesugar and stir to dissolve .Top up with bottled drinking water , distilled water or boiled tap water until you have 23 liters . Let it cool to blood temperature . Sprinkle in 7 grams of Black Rock beer yeast, and stir well . Fit an air lock . catch you up on progress in a couple of days .

pickles7, Dec 12, 3:14am
The cider vinegar is doing very well, it smells just like vinegar . I have transferred all of it into the black beer brewing barrel from a good height adding a lot of air as I went.That was to give vinegar mother more oxygen to help her finnish off her job.I put a double thickness of muslin over the opening and made sure there is no way fruit flies will be able to get in.

pickles7, Dec 12, 7:31am
Specific gravity is 1060 , a little more potential alcohol than the cider, same amount of liters. sounds good.six days is the time frame suggested to reach 1005. I cleaned out the beer barrel I used for the cider, even though I started some cider vinegar in it.

pickles7, Dec 16, 7:46am
The malt brew has slowed down heaps.I will take the Specific gravity tomorrow and see if it is done enough , It only needs to be down to 1005.The cider vinegar is doing well. The wine vinegar I bottled , has a lot of growth going on , I strained a bottle to use the other day , and there was very little mother vinegar , to show.I will be pasteurising the bulk of the cider , and the malt vinegar , that will stop the vinegar mother from growing as the vinegar matures.

pickles7, Dec 16, 10:21pm
Specific gravity 1020 , and stopped . tastes nice , a little sweet ,I have taken off 1 & 1/2 liters and put that in with , the mother vinegar from a small lot of cider vinegar , I had brewing for the making of the malt vinegar . I bottled one bottle of cider vinegar , and left 1 bottle of vinegar for the malt brew to mingle with . lol , All in all I am very happy with the vinegar made so far.

pickles7, Dec 17, 8:24pm
I added 1 liter of warm water to the malt brew , I thought it may have started it brewing again , but it didn't. I cannot say I have seen any black brewing barrels around , I will rack the malt into its final barrel , I hope it will be black. May use the yellow pages.mwood. has your vinegar arrived yet!I have two friends making vinegar here in Hastings now.It wouldn't be right to sell anything like that on trade me. I would think anything that could be contaminated would be a bit tricky.I would give it by hand . It was easy though just to use the raw cider vinegar.

pickles7, Dec 18, 9:26pm
That will be great . mwood . cool as a pickled gherkin . I hope that commercial vinegar is nice .We are using the wine vinegar I made,for everything now , in fact I gave the last little bit of DYC I had , away .

pickles7, Dec 20, 12:30am
The white vinegar, I found a bit of fluffy stuff floating in, is a little odd, the fluffy stuff has thickened in places , I have feed it three times now with 1/2 and 1/2 gin and water.It tastes a bit like ordinary vinegar , not at all like the white D.Y.C. vinegar. I will push on with it. We don't drink gin , so it will be more use made into vinegar any way#### I did an acid test on my wine vinegar , all good 5% acidity is all good#### I expect on storage for it to increase a little , I will retest it , and post the results.

mwood, Dec 20, 10:00am
Pickles - that gin can't be good - gin is normally about 40% alcohol and is also distilled alcohol so no residual nutrients. Most vinegar recipes I have read to date suggest about 5 % Alcohol - like beer or 50/50 wine and water. The "mother" eats the alcohol and turns it into vinegar - so too much alcohol would no doubt make Mother too drunk to perform !

pickles7, Dec 20, 9:26pm
mmmmm.residual nutrients! I will look and see if I have yeast food from making my wine last year , thanks for that.mwood. the gin is rubbish stuff.13.9 % ALC/VOL.lol. I thought it may take on the flavour of the white vinegar I got the fluff out of. but it is taking on an ordinary vinegar flavour.My "mother" did get drunk on this gin most every night.lol.

pickles7, Dec 21, 8:35am
Something rather odd has happened. #143 .It has taken five days for mother vinegar to cover the entire top of the malt brew.The best looking mother , to have grown so far.I must say . mwood .residual nutrients , could have something to do with it.I will add 1 tsp of sugar dissolved in a little boiled water to the white vinegar, see what that dose.

pickles7, Dec 23, 2:57am
mmmm got all that .mwood.The gin and water is weak enough, I wasn't trying to produce alcohol because there is no yeast in the jar , I am disappointed with the resulting vinegar. It is not very nice , sort of sour, tasteless, no body. The sugar has not done anything , I taste again , now. BBS

pickles7, Dec 23, 3:52am
I just took some pics but they are no good. shame as I am confused as to what it is that was floating in the white vinegar.sort of looks like a mother of vinegar, having feed it twice , it has not done anything.The flavour is reminding me of lemons lol sort of like gin, isn't it.sour.mmm just like gin. I thought vinegar mother only needed alcohol.Notdistilled alcohol , going on the fact nothing has happened.The alcohol would be the same as it was for the wine vinegar , so I cannot see that as the problem. Do you think if I put some wine into the gin jar, that may get it moving.I am not going to put too much more into that jar, but will be prepared to leave it to itself.I took a pic of the malt , that came out well. I will post that later.

pickles7, Dec 26, 4:28am

pickles7, Feb 7, 7:04am
I finally got a pic of the vinegar eels up ,in my blog. They have gone now, they did a good job had fun and passed on. Some will find them repulsive but when you make vinegar they have a job to do. The vinegar is tasting real nice and that is what matters.

mwood, Feb 7, 7:44am
nope I just cannot get a malt vinegar mother to start - just tasted it - tastes like flat beer with a hint of vinegar. Maybe I'll buy some live cider vinegar and try a cross clone - but I want a malt mother for my beer that doesn't make the grade (not a lot) - no eels either although I have got it to that stage in the past.

pickles7, Feb 7, 8:04am
Just open a bottle of beer and let the fruit flies help you out then.

mwood, Feb 7, 10:56am
nope does not work at my location - the point of my posts

pickles7, Apr 14, 10:42pm
You would be half way to making "cider vinegar" after you made this recipe up.
I have not bought vinegar from the day my first lot had been made. I try and squirrel away some bottles from each brew to let it mature.
http://makingvinegar.blogspot.co.nz/

pickles7, Oct 8, 8:04pm
ellymat, found this site , re, your probable potheen,

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/117869194/abstract!CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

pickles7, Oct 9, 8:37am
My Vinegar eels, pity the picture from the side of the jar wasn't any good. http://www.vinegarman.com/zoo_vinegar_eel.shtml