New recipes you tried Xmas Day that were successes

Page 3 / 3
jbsouthland, Dec 27, 4:44am
Raspberry mousse.usual recipe uses strawberries.punnet drained raspberries. or strawberries.blend till pulp. in pot carefully melt packet marshmallows and 3 tablespoons milk stirring and on gentle heat. let ool.add 1/2 cup whipped cream and 1/2 cupnice berry yoghurt or just1 cup yoghurt.combine and pour into wee glass cups or dishes etc.refrigerate and decorate with mint/lemon balm leaf and raspberry/strawberry or such on top.great for kids to make and nice next day to eat.sweet and marshmallowy.

toeblister, Dec 27, 8:33am
Annabelle White's 'Trifle'.so easy and delish.

lx4000, Dec 29, 3:17am
DUTCH APPLE CAKE

125g Butter
1 Cup Sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 Cup warm smooth as apple sauce

2 Cups Flour (plain, wholemeal or a mix of)
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon cloves

2 Diced apples
1 Cup Raisins
1 Cup Macadamia nuts (or nut of choice)

Mix sugar and butter then add eggs 1 at a time.

Slowly add apple sauce and mix well.

Stir in flour and dry ingredients.

Add diced apple, raisins and nuts.

Line a baking tin and bake at 180 for approx 45 mins.

This is the most moistest cake and soft cake out! It makes a big cake and I always double it and freeze one:)

If you have it, you can replace the Cinnamon with a dutch spice mix called "Speculaas spice" and its just as Devinne!

(barloo)

vintagekitty, Dec 29, 3:41am
and that dutch apple cake looks great too!, I love macadamia's

jag5, Dec 30, 4:39am
Pannacotta for breakfast dessert.topped with green and red chopped jelly and flaked chocolate.Real winner

spongeypud, Dec 30, 9:25am
I made Gordon Ramsay's roast potatoes with turmeric and chilli flakes (made half of his and half 'normal' roast spuds), they went down a treat.

2.5kg potatoes
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1½ tsp ground turmeric
pinch of chilli flakes, to taste
4–5 tbsp olive oil (or goose or duck fat)

Preheat the oven to 200°C. Peel the potatoes, quarter lengthways and place in a large saucepan of salted cold water. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 8 minutes.
Drain the potatoes in a colander and sprinkle with the turmeric, chilli flakes and some salt and pepper. Toss in the colander to coat evenly, then drizzle with a little of the olive oil and toss again. Put the rest of the olive oil in a roasting tray and place in the oven for a few minutes to heat up. Carefully add the potatoes and toss to coat in the oil. Roast for 40–45 minutes, turning a few times, until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper and transfer to a warmed dish to serve.

bev00, Dec 31, 7:25am
gordy's fruit loaf with pineapple.
Preheat Oven 180c, line large loaf tin Ingredients, 125g butter,1 cup sugar, 1 tsp baking soda, 400g pkt mixed fruit (fruit mince, apricots & currants), 225g can of crushed pineapple (juice & all). Method:Boil above ingredients for approx 4 mins watch it doesn’t catch on the bottom and burn. LET IT COOL. Then add: 2 beaten eggs 2 cups flour (sifted with BP), 2 tsp baking powder, Mix together gently and pour into paper lined loaf tin – I use my largest loaf tin. Bake @ 180c for approx 1 hour 7 minutes. posted by lb1

last minute xmas cake worked well

molly37, Dec 31, 7:42am
Rice Salad From the boards (Not sure who posted it)
Really delicious!Made it again last night we like it so much.

2 cups cooked rice, (i used Uncle Bens), small can whole kernel corn i use the 440gm size, 1 red pepper, 1 green pepper, spring onions, celery - all diced and 1 cup raisins (i also add pine nuts diced apricots and sometimes an orange pepper)

dressing: 1/4 cup malt vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp curry, mix together and add to above ingredients.

jen69, Dec 31, 8:31am
Nigellla Lawson's ultimate christmas pudding which turned outfantastic - I think due toquite alot of Pedro Ximenez, the prunes, and the stirred in Xmas wishes! Also Nigella's festive chocolate cake which was chocolatey, fruity, squidgy and boozy. A good combo!

peaknuckle, Jan 2, 6:20am
I also did a Nigella Lawson recipe - peanutbutter cups. Really easy to make and great treats. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/chocolate-peanut-butter-cups-recipe/index.html

bev00, Jan 2, 12:16pm
Chocolate truffle cake .easy peasy

lost-in-oz, Dec 27, 4:06am
I made the cowells pav recipe.Just made one and a half times the recipe.It was so easy to make and turned out fantastic.Nice, not too crispy shell and marshmallow inner.

http://www.pavlova.co.nz/recipe.html

wildflower, Jan 2, 2:49am
Food in a Minute Southwest Salad, really good as left overs too as the flavours had developed more.My first pasta salad.

bedazzledjewels, Jan 2, 2:52am
Peter Gordon's Lamb shakshouka, Engine Room's duck confit, Monica Galetti's braised red cabbage.

karlymouse, Jan 2, 3:02am
Rowan Bishops Slow Roast Pork with Rhubarb Sauce; Annabel Langbein's Capsium Boats and her Honeyed Oranges with Silken Orange dessert - the last being the only one I would ever do again :)

mercartin, Jan 2, 3:06am
I made this amaretto and cherry cheesecake. Plus a splash of drambuie. The waiting was excruciating and at one stage was contmeplating having it before the main course. Very worth the wait(or weight)! Wouldn't cookup so many cherries next time. Makes a good size. Or use a smaller tin and have more depth to the cheesecake. Yum.

http://vanillacloudsandlemondrops.blogspot.co.nz/2011/09/cherry-amaretto-cheesecake.html

jed, Jan 2, 4:32am
Beer-can Turkey.Very moist - yum

1buzemum, Jan 2, 8:12am
I would love to try the beer can chook but I stuff my chooks (criminal if I don't)

olwen, Jan 2, 8:31am
Put the stuffing in a dish and cook it alongside

nunesy, Jan 2, 8:40am
Lemon silk - flipping amazing alternative to mousse/creme brulee/panacotta if you only have a bit of time.Took 10 minutes tops and was great - served it in shot glasses with a bit of chocolate shaved on top.

molly37, Jan 2, 8:47am
I did apricot and pine nut stuffing balls wrapped in streaky bacon and baked along side the chicken. Everyone loved them.

nfh1, Jan 2, 8:51am
Do you have a recipe for that nunesy!Sounds very interesting, especially if it only takes 10 minutes.

caitlin, Jan 3, 1:03am
I had heaps of rhubarb, so made this gorgeous (and very easy!) rhubarb and custard cake .http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/-
recipes/10500/rhubarb-and-cust-
ard-cake