New recipes you tried Xmas Day that were successes

Page 1 / 3
jimness, Dec 25, 8:53pm
I will start - made the icecream posted on here (sorry, can't remember who by)..... but everyone loved it, and recipe has been passed on.

2 cups cream
can condensed milk
3 crunchie bars- chopped in small bits
1 tsp vanilla essence

whip cream till thick-add vanilla and fold in condensed milk.
fold in crunchie bars
pour into freezerproof bowl and freeze at least overnight .
Use within 10 days
Optional - use Mars or Moro bars instead of Crunchies
I have also seen a similiar recipe using Cherry Ripes

(I made it with 2 moro bars, and 1 crunchie)

jimness, Dec 25, 8:56pm
I also made a sorbet (first time ever) and again, it got raves and seconds all around.

500g fruit - eg grapes, boysenberries, plums, strawberries, blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 egg whites

Puree fruit to be used.Strain and discard the skins and seeds.In a pot combine sugar and water.Cook over a low heat, stirring constantly until sugar has dissolved.Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.Combine sugar syrup, fruit puree and lemon juice.Pour into a shallow container.Put in freezer until mixture starts to freeze on top.Transfer mixture to a bowl.Add egg whites and beat until combined.Refreeze until set.

This was delicious - I used strawberries and didn't bother straining them, etc.

juliewn, Dec 26, 1:09pm
They sound truly delicious.. thanks for sharing the recipes.. :-)

ruby19, Dec 26, 6:59pm
I made mushroom wellingtons.Very good, basically seasoned spinach portabella mushrooms, blue cheese. and for the non mushroom eating people popped in some roasted pumpkin.

hestia, Dec 27, 12:55am
White Chocolate Cheesecake with Blueberry Sauce.

90g butter, melted
200g digestive biscuits, crushed
400g cream cheese
250g white chocolate
375ml cream

1) Mix together the crushed biscuits and melted butter and press into the base of a loose-bottomed cake tin. Chill until set.
2) Melt the white chocolate, allow it to cool slightly, blend in the cream cheese.
3) Whip the cream, fold into the chocolate and cheese mixture.
4) Pour onto the biscuit base, chill for at least 2 hours.

Blueberry Sauce

200 g blueberries
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp water

Heat all the ingredients in a pot on medium heat until the blueberries have broken down, and the liquid has reduced to the required consistency.

Slice the cheesecake, and serve with the blueberry sauce. Serves 12.

seniorbones, Dec 27, 2:13am
i made a ginger roll with cinnamon cream it dissapeared and only ended up with a small peice left which I ate when I got home.

nickyd, Dec 27, 2:26am
I made the big Pavlova as seen on TV3 about 14th Dec - t'was lovely! Lots of oohs and aahs

evorotorua, Dec 27, 3:50am
Brownie Truffles. I saw this recipe in a magazine. You make a chocolate brownie and then once it is cool, pop it into the kitchen whizz with a third of a cup of rum, whizz it up, roll into balls, freeze ten minutes and then coat with chocolate. I am a bit fussy with truffles and these were very nice. I used Baileys in place of rum.

cookessentials, Dec 27, 3:55am
Annabel Langbeins mixed green salad with walnuts and blue cheese and a diijon viniagrette dressing.

wildflower, Dec 27, 4:05am
The Bread Books dinner rolls, no knead that used a starter, easy to make and so light and yum.

And cous cous salad, first time I've used the stuff, very nice but it goes everywhere!

lost-in-oz, Dec 27, 4:06am
I made the cowells pav recipe...Just made one and a half times the recipe.It was so easy to make and turned out fantastic.Nice, not too crispy shell and marshmallow inner...

http://www.pavlova.co.nz/recipe.html

jbsouthland, Dec 27, 4:44am
Raspberry mousse...usual recipe uses strawberries....punnet drained raspberries. or strawberries..blend till pulp...... in pot carefully melt packet marshmallows and 3 tablespoons milk stirring and on gentle heat... let ool...add 1/2 cup whipped cream and 1/2 cupnice berry yoghurt or just1 cup yoghurt...combine and pour into wee glass cups or dishes etc...refrigerate and decorate with mint/lemon balm leaf and raspberry/strawberry or such on top...great for kids to make and nice next day to eat...sweet and marshmallowy....

jimness, Dec 27, 6:02am
these sound good.... when you have time, can you please post both recipes.Thanks

rainrain1, Dec 27, 6:28am
Tried a new bottle of bubbly which was very good called Yellow Tail

toeblister, Dec 27, 8:33am
Annabelle White's 'Trifle'.......so easy and delish.

elliehen, Dec 27, 12:14pm
Not a recipe, but a product - dark chocolate covered Goji berries.

kob, Dec 27, 5:23pm
made a strawberry & tomato salad drizzled with reduced balsamic vinegar and honey just those 4 ingredients and it was lovely

maximus44, Dec 27, 10:02pm
Strawberry Cloud Cake and Icecream as per the first poster.

uli, Dec 29, 12:07am
bump for another year - maybe someone even has jimness first two recipes somewhere on the computer!

craig04, Dec 29, 12:11am
Pumpkin Pie! It was utterly delish too - I blended two recipes together to get it just right, served with maple cream.

Next year, panforte instead of Christmas cake

iriegirl, Dec 29, 12:36am
Raspberrry & vodka terrine, very, very good!

lx4000, Dec 29, 3:17am
DUTCH APPLE CAKE

125g Butter
1 Cup Sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 Cup warm smooth as apple sauce

2 Cups Flour (plain, wholemeal or a mix of)
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon cloves

2 Diced apples
1 Cup Raisins
1 Cup Macadamia nuts (or nut of choice)

Mix sugar and butter then add eggs 1 at a time.

Slowly add apple sauce and mix well.

Stir in flour and dry ingredients.

Add diced apple, raisins and nuts.

Line a baking tin and bake at 180 for approx 45 mins.

This is the most moistest cake and soft cake out!! It makes a big cake and I always double it and freeze one:)

If you have it, you can replace the Cinnamon with a dutch spice mix called "Speculaas spice" and its just as Devinne!!

(barloo)

buzzy110, Dec 29, 3:33am
I made something really special with mango and was amazed at how something that took me less than a minute to do could turn out so wonderful.

holly-rocks, Dec 29, 3:37am
We had that also, was yum but i was expecting more of a kick i must admit.

vintagekitty, Dec 29, 3:40am
jimness, im going to try that icecream, looks easy