DIY blue vein cheese

Page 5 / 5
morticia, Feb 3, 1:43am
Funnily enough, the World just keeps on turning and people will devise, create, change food things to suit themselves and what they have around them and will manage quite well without "pure" this and "unadulterated" that and input from those who say it won't work just because they haven't succeeded in making it work first.

Quite frankly, there's an officious element here in Recipes whose repetitive, OTT and utterly childish need to be the best and most knowledgeable all the time in every field is enough to put one off the whole idea of reading the recipes forum or cooking food.

Thanks for the cheese tips and recipe, it's something we will happily try at some stage, if only because we damn well can.

lindskii, Feb 3, 8:20am
Apologies for being less than complete in my description of method.I leave it in the plastic bag and also in a sealed container which stores easily in the fridge.This prevents it from drying out and also from contamination from other organisms.A lot like home brewing which I also do.

Sometimes it goes "off" in that the conversion of sugar to sharpness by the fungus goes further than suits my taste - same has happened in commercially made blue from the supermarket left in the fridge for too long.If not directly edible at this stage it can make a good blue cheese and broccoli soup.

I'll keep an eye open for further questions for the next few days.

lindylambchops1, Feb 3, 8:44am
Ah I think I get it now.Keep it in the plastic bag to mature!That is where I went wrong.I felt it wasn't quite successful for me.Will have another go real soon.Thanks!

mwood, Feb 3, 10:02pm
[quote=lindskii.A lot like home brewing which I also do.

I'll keep an eye open for further questions for the next few days.[/quote]

Home brewing, me too,yes and absolute must these days have you tried the next level - home distilling !

lindskii, Feb 4, 4:14am
I've been distilling for a few years now, aging my spirit in glass containers with wood chips - oak, red beech and manuka - some with, some without bark and some charred.

Must be seven or so years now and the very first wood I used is producing the lightest, mellowest product.