How to make cream cheese?

chicken-legs, Feb 1, 11:02pm
I apologise if this question has already been asked.I have done a search for "cream cheese" but there are dozens and dozens of threads coming up on using cream cheese in recipes, but not how to make it"

Can anybody help.I have 3 x 300 ml bottles of cream just past the use by date and thought maybe a crack at making a soft cheese would be a good idea.

valentino, Feb 1, 11:17pm
You will need to get hold of some mesophillic or R704 starter, plus some wholemilk.

Ratio is one tenth teaspoon starter powder to 2 litres of wholemilk and 200 mils cream.

Mix all well, bring to 20C and leave overnight at least in a warm place until curdle.

Put all into a cloth lined cloander to drain sufficient whey but not too dry, but dry enough to one's liking. Drainage can be hurried up by gathering the edges of the cloth, lifting it up and squeeze the cloth baggy part that contains the curds.

Once drained enough, add salt to taste then cover and refrigerate until ready to eat.

chicken-legs, Feb 2, 12:14am
thanks, valentino :-)

harrislucinda, Feb 2, 4:20am
oraquick waymakeupagreekyogurtthenstrainin acleanclothuntillorliquidhasdrainedawaythenaddchives,driedtomato,s

jtonkin, Feb 3, 3:02am
Ohhh there is a recipie for this in a baby book I once had! Damit I dn't have it anymore, its the Alison Holst / Simon Holst? one Baby to toddler, wee spiral bound one if anyone has it.

moggie57, Feb 3, 4:22am
make butter...homemade......yum!

chicken-legs, Mar 19, 10:52pm
oh yes! of course ... butter - durrh why didn't I think of that.