Mainland Tasty Cheese 1kg block - anyone find it

kuaka, Jan 20, 8:06am
less than tasty recently?I bought a 1kg block of Mainland tasty cheese on my last visit to the supermarket (almost 2 weeks ago) and found it to be the most "untasty" cheese I've ever encountered.Today I phoned the 0800 number and was told that the whole batch was released before it was matured, which is why the tasty cheese tastes more like Colby or Edam.So they are supposed to be sending me a voucher to replace it.Seeing as cheese is not a cheap food item these days, if you have been unlucky enough to purchase a 1kg block of Mainland Tasty Cheese bearing the batch number "BD" then phone the 0800 number on the label and complain.It will be worth your while.

korbo, Jan 20, 9:15am
rolling meadow tasty is awful. it is very crumbly, and i often wonder if there is something wrong with it, and that is whycertain yellow supermarket sells it cheaper.
AND it seems to go mouldy very quickly.
anyone else notice the cheeses go mouldy, if so, how do you store it to stop that....

kuaka, did you have to give a bar code or anything.

kuaka, Jan 20, 9:52am
No, I just phoned the 0800 number and said that I was very disappointed in my latest 1kg block of tasty cheese as it was very "untasty".She asked what was wrong with it and I said it was tasteless, more like Colby or Edam as though it had the wrong label on.She asked me for the batch number (which is right under the best before date) and in this case the batch number was "BD".She said the whole batch had been sent out before it was mature and they'd had lots of complaints.

You would have to wonder if the cheese is sub-standard, why it wasn't withdrawn, and the only conclusion I can come to is that it would cost them too much money, so if the poor consumer doesn't complain, then they just get to pay top dollar for rubbish.

juliewn, Jan 20, 11:31am
korbo wrote:
rolling meadow tasty is awful. it is very crumbly, and i often wonder if there is something wrong with it, and that is whycertain yellow supermarket sells it cheaper.
AND it seems to go mouldy very quickly.
anyone else notice the cheeses go mouldy, if so, how do you store it to stop that....

Hi Marilyn.. hope all is well there for you :-)

I think Rolling Meadow butter is from China, haven't seen their cheese, however would think it's also from there..

The butter packets show something like 'packed in Temuka' as though it's a NZ product, however when I asked a staff member, who didn't know where it was from, then a checkout supervisor, who didn't know, then they rang their head office; it turned out it was from China.. the packet I'd bought previously had a kind of furry texture.. when cut across with a knife it even looked kinda furry.. I won't buy it again..

lythande1, Jan 20, 8:24pm
I always find it un-tasty.
I stick to mainlands Epicure or failing that, Old Southern or similar.

bedazzledjewels, Jan 20, 9:23pm
Once I complained to Mainland about a block of cheese being crumbly and they said it's because the supermarkets freeze it before putting it out to customers!

kay141, Jan 20, 9:40pm
I agree. The so-called tasty cheese we buy in the supermarket is only slightly older than mild. It should be matured for at least 2 years before being sealed in plastic.

sue1955, Jan 20, 11:13pm
Thanks for that info. I was also disppointed at the quality & rang them. She said they would check the batch number out & send a voucher with a letter of explanation.

kuaka, Jan 21, 2:40am
Mine was so tasteless that I have just bought another 1kg block, without waiting for the voucher to arrive, but I notice that what I bought today is in new packaging.I checked, there were no more of the "BD" batch there, all the 1kg blocks were in the new wrapping.I will be really peeved if it's as tasteless as the previous lot - but if it is, they will be getting another phone call from me.

korbo, Jan 21, 8:58am
I have an idea that rolling meadow, make quite a lot of things. I amsure they are a nz company.

yep, hard to find a nice cheese these days.

What/how... do you all store your cheese ????
Are those muslin cloths any good.

Who buys budget cheese ???

sw20, Feb 17, 11:58am
Nothing wrong with Rolling Meadow cheese. I usually buy the Colby.

Oh to stop it going hard/mouldy over a few weeks. Keep it in a sealed plastic container in the fridge. Will last for ages.