Pork crackling

walker18, Dec 23, 11:37pm
What is the best way to make nice crackling on the pork please

nzmu, Dec 23, 11:40pm
salt, pepper and oil the crackling after making nice close 'parallel line cuts', then just slow cook for several hours on lower temp.

ant_sonja, Dec 23, 11:55pm
Before cooking, I place the pork roast, skin side down in a dish with a little water overnight in the fridge and let the skin 'soak' (just enough so the water level doesn't reach the meat) - the crackling always turns out a lot better after this. Before putting the roast in the oven - score the skin well with diagonal crossing lines, and baste with a mix of oil & salt. Brown off in a hot pan on all sides and briefly on the skin side as well. Roast meat at a hight oven temp (220-230) for 30minutes, then lower temp to around 130-140. Keep basting the skin throughout the cooking time, every half hour or so. For the crackling to 'pop' once your meat is cooked, I turn the oven onto grill and raise the heat to 220 - keep an eye on it as the skin will start to pop and crackle very quickly! Make sure the meat isn't too close to the top of your oven element. As soon as its all popped, take roast out of oven and leave to rest before cutting & serving. I have found that by soaking the skin overnight the crackling comes out a lot more even, light and puffy - rather than chewy. Hope this helps :-)

lythande1, Dec 24, 1:24am
Cut it off the meat which eliminates moisture - which is why it fails. No need to do anything else, remove it and place ona rack above the pan.

malcovy, Dec 24, 5:41am
The other night I wiped dried the the skin dry and rubbed oil and salt onto it.Put it in a preheated oven to 240C for 25 mins until it started to crackle and then turned down the oven to 160C, added liquid to pan and cooked the pork for the required time.The crackling was perfect and melted in our mouths.I was very pleased.

hoonguek, Dec 24, 5:48am
the way i do it, i score the skin and rub salt (pre-mix with cinnamon which i like but u can just use salt) all over the meat. a little more salt on the skin so that the crackle comes out superb. skin side up roast on high (220) and when the skin is nicely crackled as you like it, i turned the meat over and lower temp to about 170 to cook meat. push a skewer thru the centre of the meat and if you dont see red, its cooked.

davejulz, Dec 26, 2:45am
Cut crackle off when pork is cooked and put on a plate covered with a tissue in the microwave for 2 minutes, do longer if required but keep an eye on it. Takes all the fat out and is crunchy.

bookmasters, Dec 28, 7:17am
yuk, microwave pork crackle is gross....my method is to crank up your oven full power, salt and score the crackle put roast in oven and cook on high until meat is sealed and crackle has crackled.. then turn down and cook slowly

bookmasters, Dec 28, 7:19am
p.s smoke alarm may go off while cooking on high, don't worry it's just cheering you on...enjoy

bookmasters, Dec 20, 6:13pm
oh yeah, i put half inch of water in bottom of pan, stops the base of roast from sticking/burning, water will evaporate and be replaced by meat juices for gravy