Mixers - Kitchen Aid vs Kenwood?

Page 3 / 5
akd100, Dec 27, 9:24pm
Lol thanks!

mgna002, Dec 27, 10:34pm
I found a shop in Tauranga selling the KitchenAid for under $800. But they are not listed in the distributor's website. Does anyone know if the PeterMcGinnessite is current with its NZ stockists?

vmare, Dec 27, 10:55pm
Haven't used kitchenaid. But have a 4yr old Kenwood Chef that I use 4-5X/week and very happy with it. Only problem is the old attachments from our previous kenwood don't fit other then the bowl and the blender attachment is flimsy plastic so the top has broken when it was dropped. Otherwise its great and would reccomend to others.

cookessentials, Dec 28, 6:09am
Peter McInnes should be up to date. What is the name of the store?

cookessentials, Dec 28, 6:11am
You can telephone Peter McInnes and they will give you a retailer for your area. They usually have one retailer per smaller area, so in Tauranga, I would imagine they would have only one.

mgna002, Dec 28, 6:47am
Thanks Cookessentials. I have emailed Peter McInnes.Thestore is called Bel Mondo. I live in Auckland,so am looking atgetting one locally. But in my search found Bel Mondo sell theirs for about 730$. I don't want one imported from Europe/US.
http://www.belmondo.co.nz/itemdetails/Kitchenaid-mixer-Artisan-ksm150-Almond-Cream/17543.aspx

lespat, Dec 29, 3:20am
x1
This smacks of the bad old days F & P when they couldn't be discounted. Price fixing is illegal. Commerce Comm would be interested.

cookessentials, Dec 29, 6:21am
It has nothing to do with price fixing. It MAY be that Belmondo has reconditioned ones too..might pay to check.

cookessentials, Dec 29, 6:28am
If you are in Auckland, there is Milly's Kitchen in Ponsonby or Parnell.

mgna002, Dec 29, 9:48am
Bel Mondo have beenconfirmed as a stockist of KitchenAid-but now theyhave hiked the prices back uptonearly$850.Cookessentials, I amhopingto get one from Milly's.

annie.nz, Jan 13, 12:54am
Update for anyone who is later interested in this thread - I've now made 7 pavlovas with the Kenwood KX mixer, and all have been great - it does a better job even than my dear departed Kenwood Chef.

However, it mixes fast - any more than 10 mins on high speed and you risk collapsing the foam and getting a denser pavlova.Some of my kids like them dense, others in the family like them light and fluffy so I adjust the time according to who it's being made for.

annie.nz, Jan 13, 12:54am
Update for anyone who is later interested in this thread - I've now made 7 pavlovas with the Kenwood KX mixer, and all have been great - it does a better job even than my dear departed Kenwood Chef.

However, it mixes fast - any more than 10 mins on high speed and you risk collapsing the foam and getting a denser pavlova.Some of my kids like them dense, others in the family like them light and fluffy so I adjust the time according to who it's being made for.

bellyatobhs, Jan 13, 2:35am
I love my red kitchen aid mixer have been using it now for three years its fantastic, I have a mincer attachment and use that all the time I like the fact you can use it for things other than mixing, I am hoping to replace the bowl someday with a nice new clear one now that will be cool!

guest, Apr 4, 12:46am
Hi there. Just a quick note on supply and price on the Kitchenaid Artisan mixers. The only place that I have found who is still carrying any stock of the 90-Anniversary Limited Ed Candy Apple Red colour is Harvey Norman in Auckland. They have about 5 left (as of the beginning of April 2011). Also a note though on discounting of these mixers - if you can visit the actual store on the North Shore (Croftfield Ln/Link Dr) - they have an "outlet" part of the store which contains a lot of 'last model' and 'factory refurb' stock. Last week they had at least 7 different colours of the Artisan Mixer reduced to NZ$699, but with only 1-year Warranties. Also had a couple of 'less popular' colours down to about NZ800 - think they were the bright yellow and pink ones. Worth a visit.

guest, Apr 6, 10:01pm
For a lot of reviews I can recommend reading the reviews and discussions on Amazon.co.uk! They have some nice bargains as well once in a while and don't charge a lot for postage.

Everyone seems to defend their own choices, I personally think it's more about design than performance with these two great machines. Depends on the model though, I'm thinking of buying a Kenwood Major KM023 as it has a lot of accessories. Take into account the price of extra accessories when choosing!

Happy cooking!

zoe, May 11, 1:34am
x1
I thought other people might like to know I just phoned the Commerce Commission, under sections 37 and 38 of the commerce act what Peter McInnes have been doing in fixing prices for the past 10 years or so is completely illegal. It is anti-competative behaviour and is unlawful here and in Australia where they also fix prices. They have told retail stores that they are not allowed to discount Kitchenaid mixers. They are legally allowed to offer a recommended retail price they are not allowed to dictate the price at which a retailer may sell this product. If you want fair and reasonable prices to start appearing on these Kitchenaid mixers start complaining to your retailer about their illegal practice of price fixing. Peter McInnes and the retailers could be sued in court for this practice, make the retailers aware they are also breaking the law by complying with Peter McInnes' demands.

princesunshine, Jun 9, 10:06am
i just found a website in nz selling the kitchenaid for $875 incl gst, anyone purchased from here? choice.co.nz

sandra25, Dec 24, 6:56pm
Should I buy a Kitchen aid or a Kenwood! I was looking at the Kenwood one about $770. Of course I want it today, Harvey Norman LH have the Kenwood and I can't get into Wellington for Kitchen Aid. Kitchen Aid's available at Kirks, Homestore and Moore Wilsons! Should I wait until next week and get a Kitchen Aid! Anyone who has either brand I would love to know your opinion.

tats63, Dec 24, 7:06pm
Hi, I bought myself a Kenwood about 18 months ago.Cost $650.00 but I saw them last week at Harvey Norman down to about $450.00 I think.It's great but for some reason wish I'd paid the extra and got myself a Kitchen Aid. On nearly every cooking show on tv they seem to use a Kitchen Aid.Apparently they are quieter but to be honest I don't really notice the noise of the Kenwood anyway.I think I'm just a brand person hahaha and hence I still have ahankering for a Kitchen Aid.Mine does a great job tho.Go on 'Millys' website and you can buy the Kitchen Aid online.Happy baking

gardie, Dec 24, 7:08pm
Kenwood for me.I've had mine for 20 years and my sister has my Mums which would be at least 40 years old.Attachments are readily available for them.The only downside is that you can't get lovely colours but then, I'm a clear bench person so mine goes away anyway.

sandra25, Dec 24, 7:24pm
The Kitchen Aid has a 300w motor and the Kenwood KMX50 has a 500w. Would this make any difference!

annie.nz, Dec 24, 7:49pm
I had a Kenwood Chef for 35 years, and the motor blew out a month ago.It was great.
I've replaced it with one of the new look Kenwoods, the KMX51, which is one of Consumer Magazine's recommended products, and is on their list of recommended Xmas presents this year.Retails around $750, but I got mine in LV Martin's last sale, just over $100 off, so the boxing day sales could be a good idea.

I've used it for Christmas baking, and Royal Icing, and it was excellent, but haven't made a pavlova in it yet.That happens tomorrow night, I can post results after that if you like.

It is heavy tho, so you wouldn't want to keep it on the bottom shelf.

annie.nz, Dec 24, 7:49pm
Yes, it will.

cookessentials, Dec 24, 8:44pm
Those with the older Kenwoods have a far more reliable machine. the newer ones are nothing like their older relations.

annie.nz, Dec 24, 10:18pm
I suspect they're both likely to be good machines.Consumer's test a year ago gave the Kenwood Kenwood KMX51 an overall score of 89%, with performance 97% and ease of use 7.7/10 and the KitchenAid 5KSM150PS Artisan an overall score of 87%, performance 100% and ease of use 6.8/10.

Overall score is derived as follows:
Beating egg whites (20%)
Mixing cake batter (20%)
Kneading dough (20%)
Ease of use (40%)

Their comments for the Kenwood were:
"Excellent results for beating egg whites, mixing cake batter and kneading dough. Splashguard included. Power switches off if the beaters are raised during operation. Bowl and attachments are dishwasher safe.
But expensive. Comparatively heavy. Mixer moves slightly on the bench when kneading dough."

And for the Kitchenaid:
" Excellent result for beating egg whites, mixing cake batter and kneading dough. Splashguard included. Bowl and attachments excluding whisk are dishwasher safe. The height of the beaters can be adjusted.
But expensive. Heaviest model tested. Comparatively noisy."(Note here tho that one of the user reviews said the Kenwood was noisy.I find the Kenwood less noisy than my old Kenwood Chef, but still hardly quiet).

Also, I have found Consumer's reviews much less reliable than they used to be.