Mixers - Kitchen Aid vs Kenwood?

Page 1 / 5
sandra25, Dec 23, 6:56pm
Should I buy a Kitchen aid or a Kenwood? I was looking at the Kenwood one about $770. Of course I want it today, Harvey Norman LH have the Kenwood and I can't get into Wellington for Kitchen Aid. Kitchen Aid's available at Kirks, Homestore and Moore Wilsons? Should I wait until next week and get a Kitchen Aid? Anyone who has either brand I would love to know your opinion.

alimick, Dec 23, 7:02pm
My Kenwood is still going strong after 29 years.have no experience with the other.

kiwitrish, Dec 23, 7:04pm
Kenwood for me every time.

tats63, Dec 23, 7:06pm
Hi, I bought myself a Kenwood about 18 months ago.Cost $650.00 but I saw them last week at Harvey Norman down to about $450.00 I think.It's great but for some reason wish I'd paid the extra and got myself a Kitchen Aid. On nearly every cooking show on tv they seem to use a Kitchen Aid.Apparently they are quieter but to be honest I don't really notice the noise of the Kenwood anyway.I think I'm just a brand person hahaha and hence I still have ahankering for a Kitchen Aid.Mine does a great job tho.Go on 'Millys' website and you can buy the Kitchen Aid online.Happy baking

gardie, Dec 23, 7:08pm
Kenwood for me.I've had mine for 20 years and my sister has my Mums which would be at least 40 years old.Attachments are readily available for them.The only downside is that you can't get lovely colours but then, I'm a clear bench person so mine goes away anyway.

sandra25, Dec 23, 7:24pm
The Kitchen Aid has a 300w motor and the Kenwood KMX50 has a 500w. Would this make any difference?

bunny51, Dec 23, 7:43pm
I have a largekenwood chef (major) and it is great, before that I had a really old kenwood and that got used a lot too.

annie.nz, Dec 23, 7:49pm
I had a Kenwood Chef for 35 years, and the motor blew out a month ago.It was great.
I've replaced it with one of the new look Kenwoods, the KMX51, which is one of Consumer Magazine's recommended products, and is on their list of recommended Xmas presents this year.Retails around $750, but I got mine in LV Martin's last sale, just over $100 off, so the boxing day sales could be a good idea.

I've used it for Christmas baking, and Royal Icing, and it was excellent, but haven't made a pavlova in it yet.That happens tomorrow night, I can post results after that if you like.

It is heavy tho.

camper18, Dec 23, 8:42pm
My trustee old Kenwood Chef 48yrs old still doing its job and only ever had one overhaul for a blown condenser about 30 yrs ago.

cookessentials, Dec 23, 8:44pm
no, the KitchenAid works at a lower wattage which is an energy saving feature. I have customers who have had the Kenwood and moved to the KitchenAid and they cannot beleive the difference!
The Kitchenaid mixes to some 67 points in the bowl as opposed to about 11 in the Kenwood, so it gives a far more thorough mix. They are all metal construction and hand assembled in the USA. They have been around for 91 years as opposed to about 60 years.

cookessentials, Dec 23, 8:44pm
Those with the older Kenwoods have a far more reliable machine... the newer ones are nothing like their older relations.

annie.nz, Dec 23, 10:18pm
x1
I suspect they're both likely to be good machines.Consumer's test a year ago gave the Kenwood Kenwood KMX51 an overall score of 89%, with performance 97% and ease of use 7.7/10 and the KitchenAid 5KSM150PS Artisan an overall score of 87%, performance 100% and ease of use 6.8/10.

Overall score is derived as follows:
Beating egg whites (20%)
Mixing cake batter (20%)
Kneading dough (20%)
Ease of use (40%)

Their comments for the Kenwood were:
"Excellent results for beating egg whites, mixing cake batter and kneading dough. Splashguard included. Power switches off if the beaters are raised during operation. Bowl and attachments are dishwasher safe.
But expensive. Comparatively heavy. Mixer moves slightly on the bench when kneading dough."

And for the Kitchenaid:
" Excellent result for beating egg whites, mixing cake batter and kneading dough. Splashguard included. Bowl and attachments excluding whisk are dishwasher safe. The height of the beaters can be adjusted.
But expensive. Heaviest model tested. Comparatively noisy."

cookessentials, Dec 23, 11:16pm
No two KitchenAids are the same, they all sound different as they are hand assembled. I prefer gear driven as opposed to a belt driven machine.

marcs, Dec 24, 12:47am
kitchen aid definately. I think I have finally conviced hubby so I might get one one day in the future. He fell in love with all the extra attachments.

As for me I use industrial mixers at work and it is not about the size. We have a little mixer like kitchen aid and I compare it to my kenwood. The mixer at work is a lot gruntier and works a lot better than the kenwood.

seniorbones, Dec 24, 1:27am
love love love my kitchenaid..thanks cookessentials for recommending it but still getting used to how quickly it beat thinks and have to watch the cream but egg whites are done in a flash, and in the new year will get another bowl, could have done with it this morning making a ginger roll and now a pav.

duckmoon, Dec 24, 3:13am
I love my kenwood - think it is 35 years old and still going strong

cookessentials, Dec 24, 3:46am
The older ones are nothing like the new ones and it is interesting that a couple of companies such as Kenwood and Breville are tryiing to emulate the shape of the KitchenAid. Breville has even introduced lots of colours in the hope of competing, sadly thay just cant compete.

carbon_trader, Dec 24, 4:14am
spot on!this is the advice the thread author needs to consider

IMO...Kenwoods of today are NOT the same as that Kenwoods of 20+ years ago, 10 years ago even...

meme6, Dec 24, 6:07am
You really cannot pass a Kenwood cake mixer they go for years. My Mum has one and its forty years old and my sisters is still going good after thirty years. Its hard to find a great product that lasts the distance but those machines do.

nauru, Dec 25, 9:38am
I am still using my Kenwod Chef 701A model 40 years on and it is as good today as it was new.Never had a problem in all that time except to replace the Kenlite bowl which got broken with a SS one.

melinda1, Dec 25, 8:16pm
Have a kenwood and love it- about 35 yrs here but aren't they now made in China so would be a compromise in quality and performance?

pickles7, Dec 25, 8:44pm
I bought an older Kenwood With the idea I would get it serviced. I thought older, stronger. It was a good decision.

akd100, Dec 25, 8:45pm
Cookessentials, does the Kitchenaid come in black or silver??

ibcreative, Dec 25, 9:22pm

greerg, Dec 25, 10:07pm
I love my 35 year old Kenwood and will probably never replace it but having used a friend's new Kitchenaid I would get one if my Kenwood does give up the ghost.In particular I though it creamed butter and sugar much more effectively - didn't needto scrape down the edges nearly as much. And it was cherry red!