Afternoon tea for EIGHTY...

duckmoon, Dec 19, 6:26am
yes, I have biten off more than I can chew...
I have invited some people from church around for afternoon tea - the plan is that people will drop in and stay for a while, and then go - ... i think that I might have eighty people through the house over the space of the afternoon...

Can you please me plan the menu... also many of the folks invited are Asian, so not super-sweet...
Maximum impact, balanced with minimum effort...
Also, I will be a church in the morning - so won't be able to bake on the day... Happy to put things in the freezer

Ideas invited...

gardie, Dec 19, 6:44am
There's a finger food thread on here somewhere - it may be useful to you.

noonesgirl, Dec 19, 7:00am
Sounds like a nightmare duckmoon. Good luck with your venture. Go into l/h message board & key finger food. In date posted key anytime. Heaps of ideas there.

uli, Dec 19, 7:57am
Does, doesn't it?
Especially since poster#1 will "be a church in the morning" too.
Good luck!

tehenga288, Dec 19, 8:04am
A lot of Asiansweets/desserts are very sweet even their bread is sweet. Muffins freeze well & cheese straws made from bought pastry for quickness are easy & store well as do other sweet & savoury biscuits. Asparagus rolls made the day before using Best Foods mayonnaise instead of butter or margarine & covered with a damp paper towel are always sucessful.

uli, Dec 19, 8:20am

iamkat, Dec 19, 8:59am
Pikeletes, served with bowls of cream and jam so they can jam and cream themselves. Can you heat on the day? ?
Pate, dips ,with fresh vege, crackers & crusty bread.Several cakes - thee is an awesome mudcake recipe on here some placemade with coke - and there is also the magical orangecake - they are both so easy and go a long way if cut like wedding cake !Fruit cake - the 3 ingredient one 1kg cake fruit mix - 2 cups orange and soak fruit overnight then add 2 cups of self raising flour and bake as for a regular fruit cake - very moist very yum!
If you can heat the big packs of savouries that you can get atreasonable price from couplands - I would cut the sausage rolls in 2 on a diagonal as they can be quite large - well I think so any way!

duckmoon, Dec 19, 9:45am
I did think that some people might be away because it is summer time - but the response when I mentioned it was really positive...
This is my plan:
* Christmas Cake (can make it now, and if doesn't get eaten on the day, hubby will eat it).
* either brownies or truffles (into the freezer)
* savoury (from the wholesaler)

and maybe asparagus rolls (I made four loaves for a school event a couple of weeks ago - and could churn them out in the morning before church)...

Thanks for your help folks!!!

mackenzie2, Dec 19, 7:02pm
That sounds perfect, Maybe the only other thing I would add, would be some club sandwiches, you get 28 out of a sandwich loaf, my favourite fillings are ham, tomato, lettuce or cornbeef, egg and sprouts. They keep really well covered with a damp teatowel in a cool place

uli, Nov 20, 9:14am
While I would make these fresh - rather than leave them for 24 hours to breed germs under a wet towel - another question is where do you get the asparagus from? I would hope that you make the most of the fresh lovely asparugua we still have this time of year.