Semi-posh afternoon tea... need some glutten free

duckmoon, Nov 21, 11:31pm
greetings wise MBers...
I am organising an afternoon tea for a staff member who is leaving - we are going have around 100-120 people there;
so every thing needs to be easy to prep in large quanities.
Our budget is also modest (sufficient, but modest).

So this is what I have some far:
Asparagus rolls
Chicken rolls
Club Sandwiches (three different pairs of fillings)

Chocolate Cake (at the request of the guest of honour)
Truffles
Lemon Slice (a no-cook slice).

the vegetarians have been catered for - but what about glutten free...

Needs to be simple to prep and cost effect...

Ideas please

245sam, Nov 21, 11:42pm
duckmoon, I'm not sure whether you'll consider this suggestion to be "semi-posh" but I'm recalling a party that a close friend catered for and how she overcame the need for something GF - amongst other options (mainly hot/reheated) she offered sushi - maybe the nicest option would be somewhat smaller/daintier pieces than those that are normally available.Our friend had a friend whose business custom-made the sushi for her so that they were easily managed as finger food.

Hope that helps.:-))

uli, Nov 21, 11:51pm
Gluten free:

Big platter with
devilled eggs
cheese and ham/salami
olives,
tomatoes
cucumbers

smoked salmon with cream cheese on cucumber slices (toothpicked)

celery sticks filled with nut butter

tuna and/or egg salad in lettuce (rollups)

slices of vege frittata topped with tomatoes and cheese

eggs stufed with shrimp or tuna and mayo

gaspodetwd, Nov 22, 5:09am
The easiest gluten free would be amaretto biscuits. Mushroom pate goes down in my house on corn thins. Cheap? Not really. But very good!

kiwibubbles, Nov 22, 7:16am
what about macaroons? are they gluten free?

duckmoon, Nov 22, 7:20am
good idea - do you know if you can make them in advance - are they merginues with coconut....

In fact, what about merginues??? (I ask myself)

rosathemad, Aug 26, 10:05pm
Macaroons are a mixture of coconut, egg white and sugar, easy to make and are gluten free. Macarons (only one o) are the ones that are popular at the moment, and are delicious but much trickier to make, with almond meal, egg white, sugar and whatever filling you use, and are also GF. :-) As are meringues - but if you buy them sometimes they contain traces (e.g. the Ernest Adams, had to buy some for a coeliac the other day) but whether that matters depends on how sensitive your GF people are.