Cheesecake, what did i do wrong.

cj07, Dec 13, 7:22am
i followed this recipe
http://ezinearticles.com/?Aussie-Passionfruit-Cheesecake-Delight&id=180059

the filling did not set.. i dont understand why?

winnie15, Dec 13, 7:42am
i wonder if it had anything to do with reduced fat ingredients?

245sam, Dec 13, 7:54am
cj07, exactly which type (not brand) of cream cheese did you use?It is usually recommended that the original/traditional form of cream cheese is the best option for cheesecakes - rather than the light/lite or spreadable option.
Also exactly which/what "condensed milk" did you use?My guess is that you used the light/lite version of sweetened condensed milk and that IMO would be another factor as to why your cheesecake filling did not set.Another factor could also be the type of lemons - the most common type (Meyer) is not usually recommended as being the best for setting purposes such as that cheesecake filling.

Apart from the above possible reasons for your cheesecake not setting, my only other suggestion, if you wish to try the recipe again, would be to add some gelatine to the filling mixture.

Hope these thoughts help.:-))

monkey_moos, Dec 13, 8:10am
I'd say some gelatine needs to be added.

Have you got an edmonds book?The cheesecake in there is just fantastic and I've never had it fail me....Mmmmmmmmm cheesecake

flower-child01, Dec 13, 9:53am
For detailed instructions on a never fail cheesecake with many variations http://brama-sole.co.nz/recipes/cheesecake/.

bigboy01, Dec 13, 9:56am
I never make my own cheesecake filling anymore, I just buy the ready made and add whatever always works and tastes yum and easy.

talent.scout, Dec 13, 7:43pm
Agree. dont use the light version of ingredients. They are much too soft.If you only have the light cheam cheese....add a packet of lemon jelly (passionfruit is hard to find)..... just using 1/3 of the water to dissolve the crystals, before adding to the creamcheese mix.

I use jelly crystals in most of my fruit cheesecakes.Strawberry jelly and fresh chopped strawberries in a cheesecake, are yum.

pickles7, Dec 13, 8:27pm
maybe the wronge lemons were used.

bappy, Dec 13, 8:37pm
Hey talent scout

Pls can you provide full recipe.It sounds like something I would like to try out.

winnie15, Dec 16, 12:49am
here's jo seagar's lemon cheesecake
Serves 8-10
BASE
2 cups sweet biscuit crumbs. 125 gm melted butter.
preheat oven to 180 .. make the base by combining crumbs and butter, press into the bottom and sies of a buttered 23 cm spring form tin. bake for 10 mins. cool and chill.

FILLING:
1 pkt lemon jelly crystals, 3/4 cup boiling water, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1 tsp grated lemon rind
375 g can evaporated milk, CHILLED
250 g cream cheese, softned, 1 cup castor sugar, 1 tsp van ess, whipped cream to decorate and fresh fruit.

dissolve the jelly crystals in the boiling water, add the lemon juice and rind and set asdie to cool slightly. meanwhile beat the eva milk until think. in another bowl beat the cream cheese until smooth and blend in the sugar, vanilla and beaten evap milk.
Fold in the warm jelly mixture.Pour into the prepared base and chill for several hours or over night. decorate with whipped cream and fresh fruit.

marcs, Dec 17, 2:24am
I find the jelly ones can be a hit and miss sometimes. Try this one next time. I make it every week at the restaurant

Base
1 pkt griffins arrowroot biscuit
125 butter melted
crush biscuit add butter and cover the base of a 23cm cake tin with it. Make sure you push it into the tin. Chill while making the filling.

Filling
750g cream cheese
1 & 1/4c sugar
2 cups cream
5 tsp gelatine (spinkled over some cold water and let it soak)
2 large lemons or 3 medium ones. Rind and juice of all lemon required.

Beat cream cheese and sugar till there are not lumps and is nice and smooth and fluffy. Make sure you scrape the sides of your bowl. Add cream and beat (if you want it to be lighter then whip you cream first then fold in. I don't bother with this. I just add the runny cream and beat it up with the cream cheese) Microwave your gelatin for 30 secs till dissolved. Add to the cream cheese while still beating. Add lemon juice and rind and beat it in. Pour onto the base and chill till set. This makes a deep 23 cm cheesecake.

You can change the flavour to whatever you like with this. I do mars bars with a little vanilla in it, passionfruit, chocolate swirl, berry. Just use your imagination.

buzzy110, Dec 17, 3:34am
Got it in one. Meyer lemons should not be used. You need to use Lisbon lemons.

winnie15, Dec 17, 10:08am
are they the ones u get from the supermarket? the smaller kind?

guest, Jan 26, 12:44pm
you need to add eggs or 2T cornstarch for stability