For Irish15 re: Christmas Pudding in a Crockpot ?

Page 3 / 3
juliewn, Dec 12, 1:30pm
Hello Rae. just online now to see your questions.

Yes. lid on the pudding bowl. make sure there's at least 2-3cm between the top of the mix in the bowl, and the top of the bowl, to allow for rising.

No need to use an oven bag as you have a lid on your pudding bowl. I leave a lid off the bowl as I prefer the pudding cooked without a lid. just seems nicer somehow.

Cook on high until boiling, then turn to low. don't take the lid off the crockpot for the full cooking time, so heat isn't let out. The water won't reduce in a crockpot as it does with a pot on the stove, as condensation keeps forming and dripping in to keep the water level as needed.

When you pour the hot water in, after putting the pudding in, have the hot water come about 1/2 way up the side of the bowl, then place the crockpot lid on.

Ask again if there's anything else you'd like to know.

Hi Bedazzled. that recipe sounds delicious with the fruit you've used. :-)

Good idea Gardie. thanks :-)

irish15, Dec 13, 8:16am
can you get grounded gloves! seen whole gloves! do I just crush them!

juliewn, Dec 13, 12:33pm
Hi Irish.

Yes, ground cloves are available. with the spices in the baking section at supermarkets. usually in packets or the little bottles.

I haven't tried crunching the whole cloves. they'd need to be a fairly fine powder though I'd think, as they're quite 'woody' sort-of.

Let us know how you get on. and keep asking questions if there's anything else we can help with.

timturtle, Dec 14, 7:55pm
I made one last night and it was good, but i used spray oil to grease the bowl and it stuck. I will do another one this time using butter paper, the question I have it do you leave it to clool before turning out ! or do it straight away ! Last night one tastes good

juliewn, Dec 15, 1:41am
Hi. I use butter or margarine to grease the inside of the bowl. and before turning the pudding out, I run a knife around the inside of the bowl, pressing close to the bowl surface, - like you do when running a knife around the inside of a cake tin to turn a cake out. it helps loosen the pudding from the bowl before turning it out onto a serving plate. hope this helps.

Once you've turned the pudding out, as it's usually left upside down to serve, place the bowl upside down and back over the pudding on the plate, so it keeps the pudding hot till you're ready for it. enjoy :-)

bedazzledjewels, Dec 15, 7:10am
Mm Tim I can almost smell that.
Made mine today and now I'll keep topping it up with brandy!
Smells amazing. Usually I insert some really old coins into it, but we can't find the coins anywhere! Not sure yet if I'll have a tiny piece on THE day.

juliewn, Dec 15, 1:20pm
ps. this would be a good one if you're wanting coins.

Listing #: 340791095

bedazzledjewels, Dec 15, 10:20pm
Thanks Julie - I've passed on the info to 'he who lost our coins'!