Boysenberries - yummy but.......

Page 2 / 2
nfh1, Dec 10, 8:38am
Gave me a turn then elliehen!

falcon-hell, Dec 10, 8:44am
do you have the recipe to share cooksessential!

elliehen, Dec 10, 9:17am
This year-old thread has more whiskers than a boysenberry left out of the fridge ;)

nfh1, Dec 10, 9:21am
I just bought a Grabone voucher for our local Boysenberry farm and could not believe it when I saw the thread!

elliehen, Dec 10, 9:31am
I suspect that the poster at #21 was not so much trying to assist you with your enquiry as to poke fun - AGAIN - at the trifle.

Actually boysenberries do seem to grow fur much faster than other berries.I try to use them quickly or freeze them.

juliewn, Dec 10, 1:25pm
For frozen berries, any kind, our favourite is:

Place them, still fully frozen, in a food processor - whizz till almost smooth
Taste and add a little icing sugar to your taste, and a little milk or cream - not much - just enough that when whizzed you have the consistency of icecream.

And you're done!
Real fruit icecream. Thanks Alison Holst.

This works well with any frozen berries or with frozen banana - freeze the bananas with the skins on.
Peel off when you're ready to use them and continue as above.

cookessentials, Dec 10, 5:18pm
Yes I do falcon-hell. The original one I used to make had cherries in it along with home-made chocolate mousse ( hence the name) but I find it is far nicer with the boysenberries which have a sharper,more fruity taste.

I use a deep glass bowl to put this in as the fruit,chocolate roll and mousse showing through the sides looks great. I made a large one a couple of years ago and placed it in a beautiful footed hurricane lamp/vase.it looked fabulous. Now, you can make your ownrich chocolate mousse or cheat ( as I do when I dont have time to be making mousse!) Purchase a filled chocolate roll ( Ernest Adams or similar will do) slice and place on the bottom and up the sides of the glass bowl. Add either kirsch cherries or the cherries you can purchase in a jar from the supermarket or the frozen boysenberries,making sure that you poke them into the gaps between the slices of chocolate roll ( it is better to use them frozen as they will gently thaw before serving. You can( if you wish) sprinkle the sponge roll with a little alcohol such as brandy or kirsch.
If you have pre-made a mousse, add this to the bowl. Or you can purchase the Tararua chocolate mousse. If you are making a large one, use two pottles of the mousse. Whip as per instructions and pour into the bowl,making sure you get it into the gaps and cover the boysenberries well. Cover and place in fridge just to let it set a little. Whip cream until thick, but not buttery and spread over the top. Cover and refrigerate several hours. ( it is actually tastier the next day,so make the day before if you can) Before serving,top with generously grated choclolate .either dark energy or milk, or you even crumble flake over the top.

cookessentials, Dec 10, 5:20pm
In an emergency when I have not been able to find mousse, I have used the chocolate vigeur choc yoghurt/dessert.it is not quite as firm,but will suffice if needed.

nfh1, Dec 10, 8:34pm
We are of the same opinion, would be difficult to think otherwise!