Boysenberries - yummy but.......

Page 1 / 2
nfh1, Dec 9, 5:25am
Should they be kept in the fridge please?

noonesgirl, Dec 9, 5:34am
Yep, but how long you hoping to keep them?

uli, Dec 9, 5:40am
depends when you want to eat them. I pick my berries and eat them warm with cream straight away :)

vintagekitty, Dec 9, 5:46am
Just the same as all berries, They never last more than a couple of days here!. I just picked a huge bowl and am going to make a crumble. Mine are still a little tart for eating

tarankyle, Dec 9, 5:50am
I have a huge bag of frozen ones but am not sure what to make with them other than muffins, something that is nice & easy any ideas?

nfh1, Dec 9, 7:39am
Apologies I deviated - thanks for your replies.

I intend to eat some later on with some Creme Fraiche, some tomorrow with lunch and hopefully some on Saturday with lunch!

Are they like strawberries where you take them out of the fridge an hour before serving??

cookessentials, Dec 9, 7:43am
Use the frozen ones in Black Forest trifle.

fifie, Dec 9, 8:00am
Put some in a bowl sprinkle with icing sugar let thaw out in the fridge overnight, you get a nice thick syrup great over icecream, or make a berry slice lovely served with yoghurt.

elliehen, Dec 9, 9:12am
Love boysenberries, but they always make me think of bumblebees ;)

nfh1, Dec 9, 9:22am
They were delicious - shame the season is so short.

uli, Dec 10, 2:46am
Haha - what on earth is that?

scrapper2, Dec 10, 3:25am
Tarankyle,I put frozen berries into a serving bowl, and pour over 2 jellys (strawberry, blackberry are nice)made with a little less water and some liqueur added, when set top with whipped cream and extra berrys.a very simple delicious summer dessert.

cookessentials, Dec 10, 7:58am
what is so funny uli? I make a black forest trifle...do you have a problem with that?

falcon-hell, Dec 10, 8:44am
do you have the recipe to share cooksessential?

cookessentials, Dec 10, 5:18pm
Yes I do falcon-hell. The original one I used to make had cherries in it along with home-made chocolate mousse ( hence the name) but I find it is far nicer with the boysenberries which have a sharper,more fruity taste.

I use a deep glass bowl to put this in as the fruit,chocolate roll and mousse showing through the sides looks great. I made a large one a couple of years ago and placed it in a beautiful footed hurricane lamp/vase...it looked fabulous. Now, you can make your ownrich chocolate mousse or cheat ( as I do when I dont have time to be making mousse!) Purchase a filled chocolate roll ( Ernest Adams or similar will do) slice and place on the bottom and up the sides of the glass bowl. Add either kirsch cherries or the cherries you can purchase in a jar from the supermarket or the frozen boysenberries,making sure that you poke them into the gaps between the slices of chocolate roll ( it is better to use them frozen as they will gently thaw before serving. You can( if you wish) sprinkle the sponge roll with a little alcohol such as brandy or kirsch.
If you have pre-made a mousse, add this to the bowl. Or you can purchase the Tararua chocolate mousse. If you are making a large one, use two pottles of the mousse. Whip as per instructions and pour into the bowl,making sure you get it into the gaps and cover the boysenberries well. Cover and place in fridge just to let it set a little. Whip cream until thick, but not buttery and spread over the top. Cover and refrigerate several hours. ( it is actually tastier the next day,so make the day before if you can) Before serving,top with generously grated choclolate ..either dark energy or milk, or you even crumble flake over the top.

cookessentials, Dec 10, 5:20pm
In an emergency when I have not been able to find mousse, I have used the chocolate vigeur choc yoghurt/dessert...it is not quite as firm,but will suffice if needed.

elliehen, Dec 11, 1:15am
falcon-hell, thanks for asking, and cookessentials, thanks for answering.

Black Forest Trifle looks like a festive alternative to the old raspberry jam/vanilla custard one.

vashti, Dec 11, 4:30am
I have printed that off to make for Christmas.Thank you cookessentials

cookessentials, Dec 11, 4:37am
You are very welcome. Have a wonderful Christmas.

nfh1, Dec 9, 5:25am
Should they be kept in the fridge please!

tarankyle, Dec 9, 5:50am
I have a huge bag of frozen ones but am not sure what to make with them other than muffins, something that is nice & easy any ideas!

nfh1, Dec 9, 7:39am
Apologies I deviated - thanks for your replies.

I intend to eat some later on with some Creme Fraiche, some tomorrow with lunch and hopefully some on Saturday with lunch!

Are they like strawberries where you take them out of the fridge an hour before serving!

uli, Dec 10, 2:46am
Haha - what on earth is that!

uli, Dec 10, 7:31am
bump for cooks "black forest trifle" - whatever that might be :)

cookessentials, Dec 10, 7:58am
what is so funny uli! I make a black forest trifle.do you have a problem with that!