Pork crackling

Page 1 / 2
karrac07, Dec 4, 6:21am
How do you make the rind of pork turn into really good crackling? Whever I try it turns into a rubbery mess?

*whenever* sorry

hootenanny, Dec 4, 6:25am
I asked my local butcher last year and he said to heat oven really high, put pork in for a while (maybe 30 mins) and then turn it down, the intense heat at teh begining I think makes it crunchy- yum! maybe glaze it with something too- I can't remember, sure you could google it anyways.

karrac07, Dec 4, 6:27am
Thanks for that! I actually never thought of asking the butcher. I'll try that method anyway

wahinetoa62, Dec 4, 8:16am
i buy the packets of crackling...then for a nice and yummy snack i turn the oven on high....salt and very lightly brush oil both sides of the crackling...skin side down cook it for about 20mins then turn it over with the high heat cook till bubbly and hard and golden..then take out and cut up into pieces and so yummy.....good snacks with a few drinks as everyone loves crackling...

bigboy01, Dec 4, 12:27pm
This works a treat.

Slice the crackle off when the pork is cooked.

Rub salt over the crackle.

Turn on the grill and presto............gorgeous crackling works every time.

kiwibubbles, Dec 4, 8:41pm
this was something i always failed at until i did it the annabel langbein way.. turn the oven really hot, i think 240 degs. Take pork out and dry it out very thoroughly. Score it at 1cms, rub salt in the scores very well, then leave it at room temperature for 30 mins - you will see the salt starting to dry out the skin.Then pop it in the oven at the high temp for about 25 mins until the crackling is crisp then turn oven down to finish cooking the pork. At the end of the cooking time, if the crackling is not to your satisfaction, carefully take it off the pork and put it back in the oven to finish off but be careful it doesn't burn

skydancing, Dec 4, 10:34pm
there is a secret to it!!!Make sure the meat has been out of the fridge for about 2 hours before hand, pat dry, sprinkle with salt & vinegar, hot heat at first then cook as normal. The important bit is the room temperature and drying.

skydancing, Dec 4, 11:44pm
oops meant salt and oil!!!! not vinegar.. where did that come from!!!

sunshine9, Dec 7, 8:37am
you can just put the crackling in the microwave and nuke it, its great

How do you make the rind of pork turn into really good crackling! Whever I try it turns into a rubbery mess!

hootenanny, Dec 4, 6:25am
I asked my local butcher last year and he said to heat oven really high, put pork in for a while (maybe 30 mins) and then turn it down, the intense heat at teh begining I think makes it crunchy- yum! maybe glaze it with something too- I can't remember, sure you could google it anyways.

karrac07, Dec 4, 6:27am
Thanks for that! I actually never thought of asking the butcher. I'll try that method anyway

wahinetoa62, Dec 4, 8:16am
i buy the packets of crackling.then for a nice and yummy snack i turn the oven on high.salt and very lightly brush oil both sides of the crackling.skin side down cook it for about 20mins then turn it over with the high heat cook till bubbly and hard and golden.then take out and cut up into pieces and so yummy.good snacks with a few drinks as everyone loves crackling.

bigboy01, Dec 4, 12:27pm
This works a treat.

Slice the crackle off when the pork is cooked.

Rub salt over the crackle.

Turn on the grill and presto.gorgeous crackling works every time.

kiwibubbles, Dec 4, 8:41pm
this was something i always failed at until i did it the annabel langbein way. turn the oven really hot, i think 240 degs. Take pork out and dry it out very thoroughly. Score it at 1cms, rub salt in the scores very well, then leave it at room temperature for 30 mins - you will see the salt starting to dry out the skin.Then pop it in the oven at the high temp for about 25 mins until the crackling is crisp then turn oven down to finish cooking the pork. At the end of the cooking time, if the crackling is not to your satisfaction, carefully take it off the pork and put it back in the oven to finish off but be careful it doesn't burn

skydancing, Dec 4, 10:34pm
there is a secret to it!Make sure the meat has been out of the fridge for about 2 hours before hand, pat dry, sprinkle with salt & vinegar, hot heat at first then cook as normal. The important bit is the room temperature and drying.

skydancing, Dec 4, 11:44pm
oops meant salt and oil! not vinegar. where did that come from!

uli, Dec 7, 1:18am
bump for those cracklers.

t.rose, Dec 7, 1:20am
i just cook my roast on 150º and we always get good crackling

les6, Dec 7, 6:39am
I remove it and spreadout evenly as possible on a rack.Turnup the heat to 220c and watch it like a hawk!

lythande1, Dec 7, 6:50am
Avoid moisture. Cut it off the meat and put it on a rack above the meat. No need for any special anything, that's it.

kinna54, Dec 7, 7:33am
#1. Make sure the rind is well scored, narrow cuts, right around the pork, and to a good depth.
You should be able to see the layer of meat underneath
So many cuts of porkthese days (especially supermarket meat) are not correctly scored., and you always need to score it yourself, If it is not correctly scored you will not achieve the same results.
#2. Rub the entire rind with butter or marg, (or cholestrol free spread)rubbing well in and leaving a thick layer on the outside of the rind, then sprinkle all over with salt and rub it in, again leaving crystals on the outer of the rind.
#3. Preheat oven to 220C, then cook pork rind side up for around 20-25mins, you should see the rind spitting and turning golden.
#4. Remove pork from oven, and allow oven to cool down to around 180deg, then place pork back into the oven to cook for desired amount of time *25-30mins per 500gms*. Allow the meat to rest 10mins beforecarving.
This method I was taught many years ago, and used constantly in my catering days, to perfection, from roasting whole loins, shouder cuts and whole pigs on a rotisserie spit.
Also the favoured method of Gordon Ramsay, Jo Seagar, Annabelle White.
Enjoy.

quarterpasttwo, Dec 7, 10:53am
with a large pork roast think 5kg+ that has been rolled with string and skin scored coat in salt thickly bake in 180 oven till pork is cooked on thermometer them bang off all salt u will find that all the skin is crackled if it works right

nzl99, Dec 7, 5:51pm
I've acheived great cracklling, once.Otherwise I burn it and it's still rubbery. or it's just still rubbery.

I think I am just not good at crackling and will stick to other things. :P