EXPLODED sending glass shrapnel through the pantry

sven38, Nov 26, 9:22pm
The last 2 weeks we have been making elderflower champagne. Yesterday I had a very funny thing happen the jars we had stored in the pantry went BOOM they exploded sending glass shrapnel through out the pantry. I thought it was the funniest thing until it was clean up time.
Does anyone know how to prevent this happening?

accroul, Nov 26, 9:34pm
it was still fermenting!
did you use jars instead of wine bottles? if you used jars, they wouldn't have been strong enough to contain the pressure that was still building from the continued fermentation. You would have been better to use soft drink bottles than glass - these take A LOT more pressure than glass before they explode.

storm3, Nov 26, 9:43pm
Your pantry might be too warm? It needs to be in a cool place. Ours went all through the garage *sigh* too warm there.

uli, Nov 26, 9:54pm
Pretty normal occurrence if you do not use actual champagne bottles (=thicker glass) for bottling - and of course the cork and wires to tie them down.

Better luck next time.

kate113, Nov 27, 3:00am
Oh dear! I just bottled mine then decided to see if there were any threads about it!I didn't have enough plastic bottles so used one screw top wine bottle, will that be strong enough?Have you tasted yours yet sven? how was it?

feris04, Nov 27, 4:15am
Not surprising have seen homemade Gingerbeer take out a few plastic bottles, jars would have had a weak spot.

amiri1, Sep 10, 10:55am
Hehe, gingerbeer, spare fridge, kaboom! No more spare fridge (blew the door right off!) and a few more kabooms as my father carefully threw about another dozen plastic bottles of it outside! Sigh! Lol, I think that might've been 1 of 2 attempts! :)