Organising a new pantry

vomo2, Dec 1, 3:41am
I am having a new kitchen installed. Up to waist height theres 3 large drawers. Then theres a pantry with bi fold doors and shelving. Can you please suugest what to put, where? Like canned foods, bottles tupperware etc.

davidt4, Dec 1, 3:43am
Put the things you use most often where they are easiest to reach, usually waist height and above. Only you can say what these are.

kay141, Dec 1, 3:51am
Like davidt4 says put everything you use often where it is handy. I'd put the tins etc. in the drawers, and as much as possible of my supplies, especially dry goods, in clear containers. It is much easier to know how much you have of something when you can see it and often it saves the duplicates. I mainly use jars and plastic containers.

awoftam, Dec 1, 4:33am
You'll soon find out if you put stuff in the wrong place as it will start to annoy you so you will reorganise as you go, probably, Esp if you have no idea where to put what initially.

floralsun, Dec 1, 5:01am
I've done the same as you - so much easier having big drawers below waist height, and it's easy to reach items in the back of the drawers - bi-fold doors and curving shelving above. Enjoy your new kitchen.

samanya, Dec 1, 5:32am
That's the one!
I have a walk in pantry & from the day I moved in (& that goes for the rest of the kitchen as well) . I haven't changed a thing. I don't often get things right first time.
Later on, I did change the booze cupboard, cos I had to enlarge the gap to take my larger fridge.

samanya, Dec 1, 5:34am
Enjoy, it has to be better than what you had & as others have said least used stuff up the top.

nauru, Dec 1, 6:28am
We have just added some base drawers to our kitchen and I love them, you can easily see what is in there unlike scrambling about in cupboards, especially the awful corner cupboard (the bane of my life). I reorganised my walk-in pantry at the same time, putting everything into labelled clear containers which I bought quite cheaply from Kmart. My corner cupboard now houses all my occasionally used items so no more kneeling with my head in the cupboard to find what I want.

aktow, Dec 1, 4:38pm
in my pantry on one shelf i have two cartons,, one box is for, dried herbs, spices, colouring etc,, the other box i have all the baking goods like, bags of fruit, chocolate pieces, caster sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, in general every thing for making biscuits,,

i have everything in boxes because i could never find anything i needed . it easy. when i make biscuits i just pull the box out and everything is in front of me. also i know what ingredients i have and what i need to order,,

valentino, Dec 1, 7:40pm
Just a nice tip re spices and those packets of dried herbs etc from Greggs. and similar type packages or those small masterfoods etc bottles is to have a space big enough in the pantry and put in one of those Plastic drawer units or dedicated shallow drawers, Great and very easy to access and to note what needs stocking when shopping list is being made up.

Cheers

nauru, Dec 2, 2:26am
I keep my dried herbs and spices in my top drawer, all in sealed jars and labelled on the lids for easy see. My extract and flavouring oils are kept together in a tray in the same drawer along with any small untensils etc. used for baking. The drawer can be kept open while I'm working on the bench above and keeping it all together has made baking and preparing food so much easier. As I need to replace anything I write it on a magnetic shopping list pad which I keep on my fridge door.

davidt4, May 20, 12:50am
I keep all of my Indian spices together in a big plastic box so I just have to haul it out when I make Indian food. The other herbs and spices live in the pantry. The only overlaps are powdered cumin, saffron and hot chilli flakes, and they live in the pantry because I use them in other cuisines as well as Indian.