Pantry sorting - tell me how u do it!

Page 1 / 2
courtney2004, Jan 1, 9:20am
We hav ea large walk in pantry and I am thinking of small honey jar size containers for Herb and Spices to be stored in racks and for things like icing sugar etc I am trying to find a stack (like 20) 2-5L containers that must be airtight as we have a weavel issue and I am thinking of starving them out! any ideas

courtney2004, Jan 1, 9:23am
Also must be plastic as I am sick of cleaning up broken items after shakes

nfh1, Jan 1, 9:24am
I use Klick Klack containers for things, have never had weevils so perhaps they do not like those.

lulu239, Jan 1, 4:48pm
I have two pantries - one for mainly baking stuff and the other for the rest. For the second one I used narrow basket type trays for bottles, dressings etc that can be slid out to reach the one at the back instead of having to remove everything. These can be purchased at the dollar shops. I also bought other shapes to take in things like packet soups, jellies etc. Doing it like that has been a bonus and much easier to keep tidy. Good luck.

toadfish, Jan 1, 4:52pm
I know Tupperware is expensive but you have it for life.I was lucky that an old neighbour brought a whole pantry worth and decided she didn't like it and I brought the lot for $100 about 16 years ago - Modular Mates of all different sizes, stack beautifully and I still get the odd lid replaced. wonder how the clik claks she replaced it with have lasted!I have also added to it over the years from Op shops and garage sales. love it, keeps out the moths and is a great use of space.

gardie, Jan 1, 5:54pm
Become a tupperware dealer, fill your pantry with the profits then give it up.My pantry looks great - everything has a container (and then some) and everyone who looks in it says Wow.Had mine for about 15years and still going strong.

I brought quite a few glad bakeware plastic containers for my daughter - they stacked well both full and empty and she said they were great.They were also cheap and lasted well.All sizes.Click clacks are good for the fridge but I find when empty, they are a royal pain.Nothing stacks.

lythande1, Jan 1, 7:14pm
I bought some containers here off TM, some from Warehouse. They don't match but who cares.
I got a brilliant spice rack here too - 18 jars with racks. I just re-arranged it again last night. It's not extremely big - and have a boarder now - his stuff doesn't fit well (pots of 2 min noodles etc). So all baking stuff right up top - don't have huge amounts of that anyway. Sugar right up top. Very bottom got the preserves and potatoes and stuff like that.
The every day items at bottom of top part. Middle of top part got the ans, teabags and so on.
If it hasn't been used in ages and ages it got evicted.
Thrown out was 1 jar of cinnamon (used once), some sesame seeds that had been weevilled andsome stale pickling spice.
When I shop, new things go at back, and the old ones go and front so they get used in order of age.
Annoying things in smaller containers or jars got put into a photo box I'd had for a while - it has a lid, so no random things floating about getting lost in there.

cgvl, Jan 1, 7:42pm
I have mainly Tupperware becuase it stacks better but do have some other containers from either warehouse or plastic box that are similar. For spices, herbs etc I just use empty ice cream containers, also use them for packet soups and other idividual packets of things. but if you want lidded for the herbs and spices I suggest looking in the likes of plastic box for small containers with lids, that you can fit a tsp into.

suzannelg, Jan 1, 7:54pm
Klip it boxes! So many different sizes and shapes, made from plastic, stack really well, and are quite cheap to buy.
An option for herbs and spices is to keep them in the containers they come in and put them in a rectangular container which is about 2-3L in size.

rainrain1, Jan 1, 8:21pm
i just leave all my herbs and spices in their packets and keep them in plastic see through click clack type containers with see through lids. I find that works very well

cookessentials, Jan 1, 8:29pm
http://www.sistema.co.nz/I use glass clip top jars with the rubber seal but I also do have some Sistema containers with clip on lids which are very good.

horizons_, Jan 1, 9:23pm
I'm a cheapskate. Got some Baking Powder (2 ltr) buckets from our local chippie for free. Works for me and I know they are foodsafe. Use them for all sorts of things.Bakeries buy margarine etc in square white tubs (5kg approx) and throw out their excess tubs.

valentino, Jan 1, 10:02pm
Hmmm, found at Pak'n'Savethat "Pams" plastic containers are great for stacking on top of each other, comes in various sizes and are at a very economical price. Easy to put labels on them and can see the volume in them. Also ideal to hold an assortment of (for example) those Greggs spices and herbs packets etc.

Did have those Klick-Klack ones but those side clips were a pain especially with the more everyday items.

Still have some older Tupperware ones of different sizes, still going good but now prefer those "Pams". Also great for freezers along with those ice cream containers.

Cheers

pickles7, Jan 2, 9:57am
The problem with sistema is that it dose crack if dropped.
I feel the problem is just that, in Christchurch.
I am not keen on Tupperware, but that is the sort of container you need. someone mentioned ice cream containers, great for keeping small things grouped.Another idea would be to put curtain hooks on the sides of the shelves at a lowish point, and stretch curtain wire across to stop things from being shaken right off. Draws and cupboards can be stopped by using small brass hooks.

tich50, Jan 2, 10:42am
kimkat1,lovelytidypantry.iusetupperwarebutreallylikethewayyoustoresmalleramountsinthesistemacontainers.ihave allbakingingredientsintupperware - varioussizesandihavelittleglassjarsforspices - neckwideenoughtoinsertateaspoon,etc.keepallmycurryspicesinicecreamcontainerandallherbsinanother, etcinanothercontainer,worksforme.sojusttakeicecreamcontaineroutandhaveitalltogetheronbench.

thanxforsharingyourlovelypantrypicswithus.

seniorbones, Jan 2, 10:54am
I too use all of these with the blue clips in my pantry the one litre is the perfect size for all the packets of breadcrumbs, coconut, brown sugar etc and I made my own labels and they all sit beautifully in alphabetic order in my small pantry.I use these for everything first aide kit craft items picture hooks batteries, I like everything uniform and tidy! but dont look in my spice cupboard.thats next!

seniorbones, Jan 2, 10:57am
Yours almost looks like mine and about the same size, didnt think of the small ones for spices I just use the bigger ones and put all the packets in them but I think it will be changing :-0)

bill241, Jan 2, 11:15am
Mine is kitted out with Sistema Klip-its. They're New Zealand-made and the range is really good, I mostly have the Bakery ones in the pantry. I've got a Brabantia spice rack for my herbs and spices now but I used to have them all in Klip-Its too.I went kind of crazy with them when I moved into my new place, and the labelmaker got a heavy amount of usage too

lythande1, Jan 2, 7:02pm
Eggs go off a lot quicker when not in a fridge you know. You should get them out and let them come to room temperature just before using, not keep them like that.

korbo, Jan 2, 7:02pm
love the arrangement in kimkats pantry.after 30 odd years, have got rid of tupperware and replaced with sistema. so easyt to see things. I have a big pantry, but it never seems big enough.

vashti, Jan 2, 7:16pm
Great pantry storageideas,
Does anyone know which containers hold just 10 kg! I have a new breadmaker and will have to find a couple to hold flour.

valentino, Jan 2, 9:24pm
Hmmm, wondering if pre-weigh or measure each bread batch into containers will help if no 10kg ideal containers although some plastic centres may be worth visiting.

Cheers.

cgvl, Jan 2, 9:43pm
I have a large round Tupperware container holds the equivalent to 1 gallon (4.5lts approx). this holds a 5kg bag of flour.
I like the sistema but unfortunately find them hard to open when my fingers don't want to work (arthritis).

vashti, Jan 2, 11:52pm
That's a great idea,why didnt I think of it, thats what I will do, measure and store ingrediants first.

alebix, Jan 3, 12:08am
I use the other type of plastci containers they sell at the warehouse. Sorry cant think of brand as I have ripped off all the labels. I re-did my pantry when the warehouse had a half price sale on these.
I love sistema as well, but these were cheaper and have done extremely well.

Have you tried using a non slip mat as well as the curtain wire to stop the slipping! I do hope that stops for you guys down there.

Good Luck.