FREE RANGE eggs, bacon, chicken...HELP please

Page 2 / 2
tortenz, Nov 26, 11:31pm
Agreed :)We just all have to do what we're comfortable with I guess, whether you buy free range or not.

feris04, Nov 27, 12:18am
The overseas feed pads are also due to the 'cheap' feed being maize and corn which can increase growth rates and marbling of the meat.

I totally agree on the farrowing crates and the fact that once they are gone people will go 'damn they were actually helping'. The biggest problem is a lack of education on these things.

feris04, Nov 27, 12:21am
It does make sense when you think that physically there is no difference between the chickens so taste and quality doesn't come into the decision, it is an ethical choice but people will ignore proper science when emotive words and stories are used.

wayneandjudith, Nov 27, 12:35am
storm3 wrote:
Actually, in NZ, grass farming is the cheapest way of producing sheep and beef. Farming in barns is because our overseas customers think grass fed meat 'tastes funny' because they are not used toit.

Is all New Zealand beef grass-fed?
I am very interested in this as i have been reading about the ill effects of eating grain-fed beef.

feris04, Nov 27, 12:40am
Yes, there is some beef that comes from the dairy industry but this will also have been on a majority pasture Diet. There are a few feedlot beef farms here but they are export.

The Australian beef that turns up in progressive stores occasionally may have been grain-fed.

storm3, Nov 27, 4:43am
Definitely!! Hear hear!!I'm wondering if there will be consumer resistance to the price of eggs going up and down depending on the season, if they are all free-range.I already find that the urban consumer is completely oblivious to things like droughts and heavy rainfall having an impact on the vege supply and pricing. Egg supplyresponds to daylight hours, so no matter how well the pullet supply is managed/manipulated there is going to be a shortage over the winter months. Unless there is a move to culling the older birds earlier, I guess, so there is more room for younger birds. Viscous cycle aye:(

feris04, Nov 27, 5:31am
I guess when the only half decent program is country calander only shows organics and free-range going well not the problems with these. Need better education at school in this area, should know some of the countries largest industries.

kiwibubbles, Sep 9, 10:03pm
you can buy free range bacon at New World I'm sure of it.. called Freedom