Flavored shortbread

Page 2 / 3
vinee, Nov 22, 4:55am
and my xmas favourite:
brown sugar shortbread.
125g butter, 1/3c brown sugar, 1c flour, ½ c fruit cake mix- optional
cream butter and brown sugar, fold in flour and fruit if using. bake at 160c for 15-20 min. You can shape them but I usually just blob them out all rough like.

kinna54, Nov 22, 6:49am
try these for something different. they are a sort of cross between a shortbread and a melting moment, but are lovely for xmas gifts.and being piped they are so quick to make:

Viennese orange kisses
220g butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
2 TBSPS grated orange rind
1 TBSP cornflour
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup self raising flour
Have butter at room temperature, cream with sifted icing sugar and orange rind, until soft and creamy.
Add cornflour, mix well.
Add sifted flours gradually, and beat until smooth.
Fill into piping bag fitted with a star tube.
pipe in 1 inch shapes on a lightly greased oven tray.
Bake in a moderate oven until pale golden brown.
When cold put together with orange cream:
60g butter
1 cup icing sugar
2 TBSPS orange juice.
Beat soft butter and sifted icing sugar until smooth, gradually beat in orange juice.
Sandwich biscuits together, and sieve a dusting of icing sugar over the top.

kinna54, Nov 22, 6:49am
try these for something different. they are a sort of cross between a shortbread and a melting moment, but are lovely for xmas gifts.and being piped they are so quick to make:

Viennese orange kisses
220g butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
2 TBSPS grated orange rind
1 TBSP cornflour
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup self raising flour
Have butter at room temperature, cream with sifted icing sugar and orange rind, until soft and creamy.
Add cornflour, mix well.
Add sifted flours gradually, and beat until smooth.
Fill into piping bag fitted with a star tube.
pipe in 1 inch shapes on a lightly greased oven tray.
Bake in a moderate oven until pale golden brown.
When cold put together with orange cream:
60g butter
1 cup icing sugar
2 TBSPS orange juice.
Beat soft butter and sifted icing sugar until smooth, gradually beat in orange juice.
Sandwich biscuits together, and sieve a dusting of icing sugar over the top.

PS I have also used passion fruit filling for these instead of the orange cream.and a dash of freshly squeezed lemon juice rather than the orange.

jenna68, Nov 22, 8:21am
For lindy :)

WHIZ CYLINDER SHORTBREAD

225g soft butter (don't use marge - not as good and does not hold shape)
3/4 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp ess
1 and 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cups cornflour
pinch salt

In whiz. add butter, sug, ess, whiz till smooth. In with the rest, whiz well - may need to get a spoon to dig up stuff at bottom of whiz to make sure all mixed tog. Knead into a firm ball, dust hands, grab a chunk and roll into logs. Wrap in glad wrap, in fridge at least 2 hours. 150oC, 1cm thick slices on lined tray 25 - 25 mins depending on oven. And yes, there is no BP in this recipe. At
Christmas time, add finely chopped red and green cherries AFTER mixture out of whiz and knead them in - makes pretty gifts! :)

lindylambchops1, Nov 22, 9:08am
Thanks very much Jenna.I Love Shortbread!

juliewn, Nov 22, 9:56am
I agree Socram. maybe shortbread will get made in this house tomorrow! :-)

bev00, Nov 22, 10:54am
Loving these ideas

elliehen, Nov 22, 11:16am
bev00, you're a treasure for bumping the threads that are really worth giving a second life ;)

gardie, Nov 22, 5:09pm
Kiwicakes online has these two but make a tree that is wider at the bottom - more graduation.I've recently bought one and can't wait to try it.

horizons_, Nov 22, 6:04pm
Other flavourings to try :- Rosemary-chocolate (1Tbsp cocoa powder) - anise.

carolyn20, Nov 22, 7:46pm
Has anyone made shortbread using orange blossom extract!I've got some in my cupboard was going to give it a try out with pistachios

dbab, Nov 22, 8:48pm
I made citrus shortbread the other day, with lemon flavoured icing sugar and orange zest. Yum!
Just adapt any good recipe.

dwyn5, Nov 22, 9:12pm
Any thoughts on putting passionfruit (bottled from supermarket) into the mix!Haven't made any but will try it soon.Love all the ideas so far.

dbab, Nov 22, 9:20pm
That sounds nice too.
maybe we could make a plain batch and try a small amount of all the different flavours.

indy95, Nov 23, 4:30am
How about Canadian Shortbread flavoured with maple syrup, preferably the real thing though the flavoured type will be nice too.

nauru, Nov 23, 4:32am
I add a few drops of almond flavouring and some flaked almonds to shortbread.

badams1, Nov 23, 4:35am
you ladies, are singing my song.

dreamers, Nov 23, 4:41am
Some ground coffee for coffee flavored.

indy95, Nov 23, 4:43am
Isn't this great ! I had no idea you could do so many things with good old shortbread !

rainrain1, Nov 23, 5:01am
yummies,

olwen, Nov 23, 5:10am
How long do you keep your shortbread.Had a discussion with the other half who reckons it has to be eaten quickly.I was told it should be kept at least a week before you eat it.

elliehen, Nov 23, 7:58am
Has anyone made lavender shortbread!

dbab, Nov 23, 6:40pm
Yes, I have.( after I bought a piece at a cafe on the road through Featherston)
Make sure you use the edible one. I chopped the leaves very finely and added them at the end.
It was really good.

clgodkin, Nov 23, 8:37pm
Yes this is the same. There are five different sized cutters so it starts off wider at the bottom and they progressively get smaller.

bev00, Feb 20, 10:33am
"Quince Cafe - Lemon Shortbread
300g soft butter
1 cup icing sugar
zest of 1 lemon
3 cups sifted plain flour
Preheat over to 180. Cream butter and sugar and zest. Mix in flour. Form mixture into a ball. It will look dry but that is right. Roll out mixture on lightly floured bench. Cut into shapes. Place on tray lined with baking paper. Pick the shapes and bake for about 20 minutes.
tinkagirl (40 ) 6:44 pm, Sat 7 Jan #108"