Flavored shortbread

Page 1 / 3
iriegirl, Nov 20, 2:05am
Hi all, want to do this for xmas, years ago I tried orange flavored and maybe lemon flavored shortbread and was really good. Problem is that I lost recipe and now can't remember how much flavoring to use or if it was zest and juice or essence that was used, but I do remember that the recipe had icing sugar in it. Any ideas/suggestions and maybe some other flavorings?

littleblackhen, Nov 20, 2:16am
Lemon Shortbread250g butter,1 cup of icing sugar,2 cups of flour,grated rind of 1 lemon.Beat butter and lemon till creamy then add icing sugar.Roll a tsp of mixture into a ball and place on a tray and press down with a fork. Bake in moderate oven (180) for 10-12 mins.

iriegirl, Nov 20, 2:20am
Thank you littleblackhen :)

findit1, Nov 20, 3:40am
xmas cranberry shortbread.
made some last year and went down a treat

cgvl, Nov 20, 6:47am
ginger shortbread is nice too. I add chopped crystalised ginger to recipe.

dbab, Nov 20, 9:43pm
Finely chopped lavender leaves is nice too. Make sure it's an edible lavender.

fee1965, Nov 21, 1:47am
OMG - pistachio shortbread with a lemon glaze is divine!

juliewn, Nov 21, 2:00pm
A little almond essence added is nice too..

iriegirl, Nov 22, 12:28am
Yumm...pistachio with lemon glaze can I please have the recipe fee1965? Please?

auntlb, Nov 22, 1:10am
mixing in slivered almonds is yummy too

crystalmoon, Nov 22, 1:31am
bump for the pistachio recipe sounds very yum:)

alessia, Nov 22, 1:34am
My Mother use to crush 2 Weetbix and add to shortbread mixture.

letto, Nov 22, 2:41am
finely grind some tea leaves, earl grey is nice and add to mix, I use about 3tsps per batch, must be very fine.

fee1965, Nov 22, 2:49am
I just use a normal shortbread recipe then add some roughly chopped pistachios.For the lemon glaze, just mix some lemon juice and zest and icing sugar to make into a thin glaze, paint over the cookies.

socram, Nov 22, 6:22am
This has to be a great thread to copy and keep!

juliewn, Nov 22, 9:56am
I agree Socram.. maybe shortbread will get made in this house tomorrow! :-)

iriegirl, Nov 20, 2:05am
Hi all, want to do this for xmas, years ago I tried orange flavored and maybe lemon flavored shortbread and was really good. Problem is that I lost recipe and now can't remember how much flavoring to use or if it was zest and juice or essence that was used, but I do remember that the recipe had icing sugar in it. Any ideas/suggestions and maybe some other flavorings!

dbab, Nov 20, 9:43pm
Finely chopped lavender leaves is nice too. Make sure it's an edible lavender.

juliewn, Nov 21, 2:00pm
A little almond essence added is nice too.

245sam, Nov 21, 9:30pm
some great flavour options here, whether for gifts or for with that cuppa during the festive season.:-))

iriegirl, Nov 22, 12:28am
Yumm.pistachio with lemon glaze can I please have the recipe fee1965! Please!

jenna68, Nov 22, 1:35am
I have a recipe for a shortbread that you make in the whiz and roll into logs and cut after it's been in the fridge for couple hours and to that recipe you add finely chopped red and green glace cherries and cook as normal, they come out really well and look good as gifts, let me know if anyone wants the recipe :)

nauru, Nov 22, 3:51am
Pistachio shortbread is also good with 1 teasp ground cardamom added to it

lindylambchops1, Nov 22, 4:03am
I have!I used the lavender flowers, carefully plucked them off the stems.It was yummy!I always keep some lavender flower heads in a jar of plain white sugar too!

lindylambchops1, Nov 22, 4:05am
Yes please I love quick & easy!Also smashed up candy canes are good on top of shortbread.