Shortbread

caroline66, Dec 10, 8:21pm
I don't suppose by any stroke of luck that someone has an old Kenwood recipe book with a shortbread recipe in it?I can't find mine and it was the best shortbread I've ever made.

paghan, Dec 10, 8:46pm
is this the one?
300g Butter
1 cup icing sugar
3 cups flour

1.Cream the butter and icing sugar in your K Mixer on full speed. Start out slowly but increase the speed as the mixture blends together to avoid mixture flying out from the bowl. Mix in the flour. Form the mixture into a ball in a large piece of plastic wrap, chill to rest for a minimum of 30 minutes. Then roll out on the wrap and shape as follows; either roll out the mixture and cut the shapes out with a scone or biscuit cutter to achieve a perfect edge, or form the mixture into a large sausage and cut into 1 cm slices with a sharp knife.
2.Place on a lightly greased tray and prick with a fork.
3.Bake in a preheated 180°C oven for 20 minutes for large 8 cm biscuits or less time for smaller shapes. The shortbread does want some colour – that adds the flavour!
4.When cool, store in an airtight container.

ange164, Dec 10, 8:51pm
I still love the edmonds one, but with 50 g less butter, and 1/2 t of vanilla added in.

caroline66, Dec 11, 12:06am
Thanks for that.The original recipe didn't have icing sugar but I will try this one as its the closest so far!

elliehen, Dec 11, 1:24am
Old Scottish recipes add one teaspoon of lemon juice.

hilt_dwane, Dec 11, 1:51am
My Canadian aunt always made one with Edmonds custard powder in it... very yummy

turtlet, Apr 25, 5:16am
Shortbread - Kenwood Recipe
4 oz plain flour and
2 oz rice flour or
6 oz plain flour
2 oz sugar
4 oz butter
Place all ingredients in the bowl and mix on minimum speed increasing to 2 as the fat breaks up until mixture has bound together.Press the mixture into a ball and shape into a round cake about 1/2 an inch thick etc.
Crimp the edges and with a fork, prick a design on the shortbread.
Bake in a slow oven 300 degrees F until it is firm and a light brown colour. (approxomately 1 hour)
Allow to cool before removing from the tray.

elliehen, Apr 25, 5:23am
I'm reading a Yukon cookbook at the moment, produced by the PIonner Women of the Yukon, and there's an interesting recipe called 'Whipped Shortbread'.

WHIPPED SHORTBREAD
1 cup very soft butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch (cornflour)
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt

Beat all the ingredients together until they look like whipped cream (the longer the better).

Pipe through an icing bag onto ungreased cookie sheets.Bake at 325* Fahrenheit for 8 minutes.Lower heat to 300*F.Bake 4 minutes longer or until done.Cool about 5 minutes on pan for easier handling.Makes approximately 3 dozen.

elliehen, Apr 26, 5:23am
I'm reading a Yukon cookbook at the moment, produced by the PIonner Women of the Yukon, and there's an interesting recipe called 'Whipped Shortbread'.

WHIPPED SHORTBREAD
1 cup very soft butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch (cornflour)
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt

Beat all the ingredients together until they look like whipped cream (the longer the better).

Pipe through an icing bag onto ungreased cookie sheets.Bake at 325* Fahrenheit for 8 minutes.Lower heat to 300*F.Bake 4 minutes longer or until done.Cool about 5 minutes on pan for easier handling.Makes approximately 3 dozen.

paghan, Dec 11, 8:46pm
is this the one!
300g Butter
1 cup icing sugar
3 cups flour

1.Cream the butter and icing sugar in your K Mixer on full speed. Start out slowly but increase the speed as the mixture blends together to avoid mixture flying out from the bowl. Mix in the flour. Form the mixture into a ball in a large piece of plastic wrap, chill to rest for a minimum of 30 minutes. Then roll out on the wrap and shape as follows; either roll out the mixture and cut the shapes out with a scone or biscuit cutter to achieve a perfect edge, or form the mixture into a large sausage and cut into 1 cm slices with a sharp knife.
2.Place on a lightly greased tray and prick with a fork.
3.Bake in a preheated 180°C oven for 20 minutes for large 8 cm biscuits or less time for smaller shapes. The shortbread does want some colour – that adds the flavour!
4.When cool, store in an airtight container.

hilt_dwane, Dec 12, 1:51am
My Canadian aunt always made one with Edmonds custard powder in it. very yummy