Shortbread - how long does it keep for?

dibble35, Dec 18, 5:01am
Have a hankering for shortbread, how many days will it keep for?. if I make some I want to take the rest into work next week for morning tea, thanks

cgvl, Dec 18, 5:15am
Mine usually last 2-3 weeks, thats how long it takes us to eat it.

samanya, Dec 18, 5:45am
The batch I made last night will have trouble getting to the people I want to give it to! It won't last long at the rate I'm chomping on it!
It should last a week or more . like home made biscuits, I reckon.

lilyfield, Dec 18, 5:50am
2-3 month in an airtight tin, cellotaped for sticky fingers.

dibble35, Dec 18, 6:01am
excellent. now I need some help. making a batch from a recipe on here. Titled Connies shortbread old scottish recipe. It says to roll it into a long log and put in fridge for 10 mins. well it wont roll into a log, starts to pull apart from the middle out - where im rolling gently with my hands. what do i do? can I roll it out flat and cut into shapes?

lilyfield, Dec 18, 6:08am
Of course you can

dibble35, Dec 18, 6:18am
thanks, after a bit of mucking around i got 1 to roll really well, 2nd roll not so flash but we will see. I'll have to taste test. see if theyre any good, and make another batch I think. want something homemade to give as small presents to everyone at work. Theres a few of us now, around 14 i think, so will have a bit of baking to do. But all good, they enjoy it when I take in some baking. I've been cutting down on sugar lately and so not much has been done.

samanya, Dec 18, 6:19am
That's the exact recipe that I had such success with yesterday.
You have to be gentle with it & if you fail, start again.
I rolled it wrapped loosely in glad wrap, before putting in the fridge & I left it there for longer than 10mins (got busy)
I'm sure if you popped it onto baking paper on an oven tray, that you could pat it out & then gently roll, with a rolling pin, under another piece of baking paper, to a square & then gently cut, it would be fine. I sliced pieces from the roll, but some were thicker than others but after following the cooking directions to a 'T' they all turned out blardy well when they were cold.
Good luck, it's a great recipe & for the first time I've been able to make crispy, buttery delicious shortbread.

dibble35, Dec 18, 6:28am
thanks guys, well they are just in the oven, they sliced up quite well. Can anyone tell me why shortbread gets pricked with a fork?, is it just to look pretty, or does it allow for more even baking into the middle. just curious

samanya, Dec 18, 6:39am
Don't know, dibble.
I stamped mine with the potato masher & the next batch i do, I'll try a glass with a sort of bubbly bottom . I suspect it's decoration, as I'm sure I've seen shortbread stamp gadgets for sale, somewhere.

nauru, Dec 18, 7:06am
Yes dibble, it's just for decoration, I do that if I make shortbread fingers. Otherwise I cut into shapes or rounds and press a pattern on with the bottom of a glass same as samanya. This year I cut star shapes and used my holly cake fondant punch to stamp a holly pattern in the middle.

dibble35, Dec 18, 7:07am
cool, yes was wondering what I could do to make them look more festive. Im sure I can fashion a stamp out of something.
That has to be the most watched baking i've ever done. checked at 1 min intervals after the initial 10mins. Took I think 16 mins before I saw a faint bit of colour on the sides. But the bottoms had more colour so im glad I pulled them out when I did. they look pretty awesome!

nauru, Dec 18, 7:15am
That's great dibble, and yes, you have to watch shortbread like a hawk as it's easy to overcook it. My last tray got a bit too brown for my liking so was rejected and sampled with our coffee, still tasted good but not good enough to give as presents.

samanya, Mar 30, 7:52am
I followed the cooking directions/temps in Connie's shortbread recipe & even in my manky old oven & it worked out just fine, watching like a hawk, though.