Some days you just shouldnt go near the kitchen

lynja, Nov 10, 7:54am
i had some eggs to use up so decided to bake a chocolate cake after work. opened the pantry and somehow knocked a glass jar containing cornflour which landed on the bench and smashed, glass and cornflour EVERYWHERE. cleaned it up. made the cake (lovely recipe from here which made 2 ring tin cakes and 10 muffins) put in the oven and realised 5 min later that i had not put the EGGS in!! panic! took cakes out, scraped out the mixture from all the pans, added the eggs, washed all the pans and re sprayed them, refilled them and put in the oven! thank goodness the end result PERFECT!

geldof, Nov 10, 8:12am
all worth it then!enjoy the fruits of your labour. lol

cookessentials, Nov 10, 8:56am
Phew! what do you do for an encore?

kob, Nov 10, 5:35pm
hehe i hear ya, man i have had a couple of days like that, I cooked pork steaks for tea completely burnt them, (was distracted) sp decided Id make rissolesgot them mix up started cooking those bloody burnt them too, but as i had already wasted one dinner I made a brown onion gravy and tried to reserect them, si Im thinking well ill make something nice for dessert so made a brownie 5 mins into cokking time i realised shit i didnt put baking powder in so out it came back into bowl baking powder in bake in over and that came out ok ,but what a mission, hubby couldnt believe i had burnt two teas , got ribbed about it for a few days lol

kuaka, Nov 11, 6:23am
some days really are just like that.Start off by burning the toast and it all goes downhill from there.Remember once coming home from work and my daughter (about 13 or 14 at the time) had tried to make some cup cakes, but she got the temp wrong, put them in at 200 but our oven was fahrenheit not celsius, so after the required cooking time they were still sitting there more or less the way they went into the oven.So she took them out and left them on the bench till I came home.When we realised what she'd done, she said "oh well, I'll just put them back in at the right temp and finish them off".They came up superb, one of her best efforts.Couldn't believe it.

lynja, Nov 11, 8:18am
glad i am not the only one! still finding cornflour everywhere in the pantry despite even using the vacuum cleaner to try and get it all out!!

kuaka, Nov 11, 8:54am
lynja - I know what you mean.Years ago I put an egg on to boil to make an egg sandwich for the kids lunch (they were only about 3 and 4 at the time) and went to do something at the bottom of the garden, (long narrow quarter acre section) and heard this big "boom" from inside the house.Went in to find the element on the stove had blown - there was actually a gap in the element, there was a hole in the bottom of the saucepan as though a bullet had gone through it, and there was egg and shell as far as the eye could see.It was all over the walls, floor and ceiling (high stud - 12 foot) I could not believe that one little egg could spread itself so wide.Can't remember what I gave the kids for lunch but it sure wasn't egg sandwich!

jimness, Nov 11, 6:16pm
oh this good... I don't feel so bad now.Made a pineapple shortcake (which I have made 3 times before successfully) last weekend and it tasted like glue, then the pavlova for dinner burnt - and I SWEAR the oven was on the correct temperature....dinner was an absolute disaster too.It was a weekend I should have definitely kept out of the kitchen, lol - but funny, I have never had disasters like these before all together.

purplegoanna, Nov 11, 7:47pm
tell me about it the other night i smashed a glass then cut my finger with the knife then knocked the curry powder all over the floor..all in a matter of 2hrs, hubby told me to go to bed before i did myself real harm....now ive got a constant reminder every time i turn my vacumn cleaner on all i can smell is curry!

kiwifidget, Nov 11, 7:53pm
any day is a bad day for me to be in the kitchen. I always manage to cut myself, I should take shares in Band-Aid. Worst day was when I tried my mums idiot-proof (her words) apple sponge top pudding. Mine turned into apple sponge top flambe, as idiot proof instructions did not mention the difference between bake and grill!

sue62, Nov 13, 1:50am
Oh how awful for you lynja. I can hear the swearing from here!!

darlingmole, Jul 31, 1:14pm
The other day I grated half a finger into my coleslaw, forgot to put egg in the chocolate cake - realised after 10 mins of cooking, scraped it all out, wacked beaten egg in but too late it kinda cooked a bit like scrambled eggs in the cake (yuk!), over thickened the curry-mince (pastey as), lids didn't seal on the tomato chutney then thought "sod it, I'll make a cupa tea", thought I'd boiled the jug only discover I had made stone cold tea (jug had played up and didn't turn on).Just ONE of those days!