New oven, any tips on keeping it nice, I can't

white_elephant, Nov 3, 7:17pm
cook everything in an oven bag can I?

greerg, Nov 3, 7:24pm
Can cook quite a few things in an oven bag but I always find it's easier to wipe out the oven straight away if I cook splattery things than to have to do frequent major cleaning because I HATE oven cleaning.Once a week when I do the kitchen I wipe the door and bottom out thoroughly and if I feel any small bits of of stuck-on food I remove it then with a non-scratch scourer. I cook a lot and rarely do the full-scale clean with spray-oven cleaner but my oven always looks clean.

daisyk, Nov 3, 7:56pm
Wow, Greerg, this sounds like the best idea yet.I will be getting a new oven soon, so am happy to read this advice.And cleaning ovens is not my idea of fun either.thanks and to the poster for asking the question

valentino, Nov 3, 8:59pm
Also have a large flat tray that can sit near the very bottom of oven just above the bottom of oven, with enough space all around for heat flow throughout oven.

Saves a lot of cleaning especially with any splatters and spill-overs.

sally174, Nov 3, 11:03pm
We got a fantastic degreaser cleaner called Thwart. It was amazing. Cleaned the oven racks and oven with only a little elbow grease. Donig it reasonably often if your style of cooking requires it also the key I think

levintofu, Nov 3, 11:41pm
i also have a large flat tray near the bottom of my oven which i cover with foil... i replace as soon as there is a spill on it (frequent lol)

my oven has a self clean cycle it just locks the door and goes up to 500c(?) and you have to take all racks and trays and cookware out of the oven before doing the self clean... it sounds better than in reality.... i still go in with a oven spray once or twice a year

white_elephant, Nov 4, 2:50am
Thanks alot for the advice, I will follow all the steps above, I'm a 'messy' and was very embrassed at the state of my old stove when it was taken away. Never again.

cookessentials, Nov 4, 3:01am
I do the same as greerg. I always wipe it out while it is still hot/warm and cean any spills straight away.

dorothy_vdh, Nov 4, 3:09am
sometimes though if you have a covered bottom element (like I do) you cannot put those tinfoil trays down

kob, Nov 4, 5:37pm
thats the only thing i dont like about a fan oven you cant put the tin foil liner at the bottom, it would make life so much easier

cookessentials, Nov 4, 6:08pm
I dont have the tray in the bottom, as our element is also integrated, however, a quick wipe while hot and it's done.

white_elephant, Nov 4, 6:46pm
Why can't use use a foil tray thing if the element is intergrated or a fan oven? Also what product is best to clean the glass door?

nfh1, Nov 4, 8:41pm
Mine is a fan oven and has instructions advising you not to put anything on the bottom.

I cover with foil, wipe out after use and have never had to clean an oven yet. The one I have now is 7 years old and looks like new.

buzzy110, Nov 4, 11:43pm
Because the tray or tinfoil should go beneath the element so as not to impede heat flow, etc. In newer ovens, the element is hidden away beneath the stove base.

marlin9, Nov 4, 11:57pm
If free standing, remove knobs and cover the area with gladwrap and replace knobs - makes so easy for cleaning- just remove knobs and change gladwrap as required.

marlin9, Nov 4, 11:59pm
If ceramic top - I always cover mine with a cloth when it is cold then you can use it as bench extension (we always put the toaster on top of the cloth) and then crumbs can be got rid of easily as well

ingies, Nov 5, 12:51am
I know you have bought one already, but buying a pyrolytic oven is great, just turn the heat up and it burns all the dirt to a crisp (ie ash).

And for stove top i find induction the easiest to clean, wouldn't buy anything else.

demo9, Jul 17, 1:52am
i cleaned my oven trays the other day with baking soda and vinegar and i let it sit for a few minutes and they cleaned up a treat lol, i even done the window of oven door and it did the same! i havent yet tried it in the whole oven but am going to! no harsh smells of chemicals doing it this way!!