To freeze: Lunch & snacking for 2 woriking males

rog.e, Nov 2, 9:25pm
I need to make some simple, tasty baking I can pre-freeze for my two family working males in their early 20's, who are coming in two weeks time to do some work for me.

I want some items for them to take home and keep in their freezer and used as needed.

I have not got cornflakes, cooking chocolate but have cocoa, and only 250g butter right now.

I can't get past thinking fruit loaves to slice and butter.. Nothing too sweet. Savoury is good.

I I thought some big cookies made with rolled oats( but no recipe) could be one item .

Recipes please, if you can help-not links if possible.

V

juliewn, Nov 3, 3:01am
Hi :-)..
Anzac Biscuits are great made as large cookies.. do you have an Edmonds book.. our favourite recipe is in there..

Or, if you have any margarine, you could add that to the butter to make a full recipe of the following, and make a variety of the options.. or you could halve the recipe:

Variety Biscuits..

Cream together 400g butter (or using margarine works well too), and 1 & 1/4 cups sugar (use brown sugar if you want the biscuits to be slightly caramel flavoured).

Beat in the contents of one tin of sweetened condensed milk.

Add 6 cups flour and 6 tsp baking powder and mix well together - a wooden spoon or your hands is easiest.

If you want to make a variety of bikkies, divide the dough into separate bowls, and add extra's to suit.

Roll into balls and press down with your fingers or a fork/bottom of a glass- either of which have been dipped lightly into flour, or use teaspoonfuls to make flattish shapes.

Place them onto cold oven trays (on baking paper is easiest) and bake at 180°C for about 10-12 minutes or till just beginning to change colour.

Variations:

Rolled Oats and Coconut
Add 1 cup rolled oats and 1 cup coconut to the dry ingredients for the full recipe, or 1/2 of each to half of the recipe.. Bake as above..

For a more caramel sort of flavour, add 2 tablespoons golden syrup and 1 tablespoon extra flour to the rolled oats & coconut mix.

Chocolate and Chocolate Chip:
1: Add 3 tablespoons of cocoa to the flour mix and make as above.
2: Add 1 cup chocolate chips too if you want. 3/ Leave the biscuits plain and add chocolate chips.
3: For coconut and either above chocolate options - add 1 cup coconut to the full recipe.

Orange Chocolate Chip:
Add the finely grated rind of 3 oranges, and the juice from the oranges to the mix. Add 3 tablespoons extra flour. Add 1 cup chocolate chips..

Coconut
Add 1 & 1/2 cups coconut to the mix and make as above.

Lemon:
Add the finely grated rind of 3 lemons, and the juice, and add 3 tablespoons of flour. Add some coconut too if you want.

Crunch:
Add 2 cups of any breakfast cereal - crushed weetbix, cornflakes, rice bubbles, bran flakes, etc.. Add 1 cup dried fruit too if you want - raisins, sultana's or currants.

Bo-Peep:
Roll the dough into balls about the size of a 50c piece.. place on the tray and use your thumb tip to press a small hollow in the centre of each ball.
Place 1/2 a tsp of jam in the hollow, and bake as above. Apricot, raspberry, plum and strawberry jams work well.. or try your favourite jam..

Nut:
Add 1/2 to 1 cup of chopped nuts to the mix.. add cocoa too if you want.

Hope these help..

darlingmole, Nov 3, 4:17am
Savoury - I'd probably make a huge roasting dish of bacon'n'egg pie and then slice up, freeze in individual portions.Same with lasagne and cottage pies and a chicken pasta (can buy cheap plastic containers for individual freezing from most $2 shops).How about making some scone dough and then rolling it out, placing pizza sauce - ham/cheese/onion etc on top then another dough layer, pressing down the sides and baking them, then freezing.How about making some of those wonderful cold summer soups and then freezing them (cucumber and beetroot come to mind)??I have a good coconut loaf recipe which is 1 C flour, 1 C sugar, 1 C coconut, 2 tsp baking powder and 1 C milk (thrown in 1/3 C cocoa if you want) put in greased loaf tin and bake 180 deg C 40 mins - couldn't be easier!

rog.e, Nov 3, 6:27am
juliewn and darling mole....

These are really helpful.

I am making BIG Anzac type buscuits right now with the oats and soconut option.
I have got Edmonds books
Bacon and egg pie is ione's fav. so I will make a tray of that when I get more eggs and groceries in.

I have until Sunday week to make a few items.So can spread out my efforts..

Kindest regards to you both.

darlingmole, Nov 3, 8:22am
My pleasure rog.e ... have a large family of 9 (numbers dropped 2 months ago from 10 to 9 and soon will drop a further 2 if my 2 eldest will unhinge themselves from my apron strings ha!) so it always feels like feeding time at the trough.I love one pot cooking and try to make even more so I can freeze what's left for the hungry tribe.Chop suey is a great meal ... fry up your marinated meat and vegetables and serve with those vermicilli noodles ($1.40 last time I checked) the ones you just pour boiling water over and let sit for a few mins then drain.I feel for your position of feeding hungry young people - they seem to have hollow legs eh?!

mackenzie2, Nov 3, 8:05pm
You could also do homemade pizza, cut into slices, and freeze, Savoury muffins, piklets freeze really well, I marg and jam them then wrap and put into freezer, I also always have a batch of cheese rolls in my freezer... I precook meatballs and freeze them, and in winter I always have soup in small 1 person containers, ready to go.
I have a really nice loaf receipe if you would like it, it has no butter or eggs.

rog.e, Nov 3, 9:16pm
Thank you for these suggestions mackenzie2

I'd like ro have your loaf recipe if you have time sometime.

Made the biscuits last night. Got all ingredients out ready on the bench and had to wait until beef casserole had cooked. Then was easy to get it done.

They have turned out really well.

Ahem!..... I ate four! :-)
V

mackenzie2, Nov 4, 5:17am
Warm 300mls of milk & 1 TBSP golden syrup, add 1 tsp of baking soda, add to the following...
1.5 cups of both bran and white flour, 3/4 cup sugar and whatever you fancy sultanas, dried fruit, fresh fruit, banana's I use a toffee apple mixture I buy at Barkers and it is lovely.
Into sprayed and lined loaf tin, bake 1 hr for 175 degrees

rog.e, Nov 11, 1:39am
I have a good coconut loaf recipe which is 1 C flour, 1 C sugar, 1 C coconut, 2 tsp baking powder and 1 C milk (thrown in 1/3 C cocoa if you want) put in greased loaf tin and bake 180 deg C 40 mins - couldn't be easier![/quote]

I have just made rge above loaf darlingmole
I made it with Cocoa and a drop or three of Vanuilla.
So thats another one naked.
Smells lovely and coco-nutty.
V

rog.e, Nov 13, 9:41am
Along with the niscuts -Three loaves - one with prubes & apricots, one chocolate rnd coconut, one mixed cake fruit. Sliced and buttered into pairs and frozen. Rhubarb spinges, Cottage Pies.Scone sqyares with centre filled with red capsicum, red onion, cheese, ham shunks and parsley.

That's it. I have had my fill of baking for the mioment.

Thanks for all help. Not sure if people like to have feedback but I do it anyway.
V

edited to say i find those little Glad snaplock bags very helpful for packing the food.

greerg, Aug 3, 5:11pm
Wow - they'll never leave!