Ordering a xmas ham question

gerry64, Oct 25, 2:50am
I want to glaze the ham this year - so will it be successful if I order a boneless ham or does it need to have bone in - cheers

kcak, Oct 25, 3:19am
I glaze the boneless Champagne ham I buy every year from Countdown ( it was Foodtown last year). I order one at the beginning of Dec and pick it up a couple of days before Christmas and I ask for it unglazed (they will do it for you if you want), but it is always decorated. They are really lovely hams.

gerry64, Oct 25, 4:07am
I am in Oz - going to give a family butchery my order - have bought their ham etc since I have been here and it is really lovely so am hoping their xmas hams are just as good - thank you for your help would rather have one without a bone

timetable, Oct 25, 5:36am
you can glaze either - bone in or bone out - whatever is your choice.... just make sure that it is a ham that has not gotten too much brine in it or it will stew rather than bake nicely in the oven....

gerry64, Oct 25, 6:21am
cheers timetable

timetable, Oct 25, 7:52am
no hass gerry... if you can get one from a butcher they are a wee bit more expensive but their smoking and curing is often the best!!just make sure that it has a good layer of fat on it - but not too much, lift that rind off and then score the fat in cris-cross lines so that you get the diamond shape.then cover it all in a mix of mustard (i just make it up from the good old colmans mustard powder), brown sugar and finally marmalade, then stud with your cloves and i do glace' cherries and a piece of pinapple on a tooth pick and put then in the middle of each diamond shape, and that way when its alllovely and crusted up everyone can have a couple of the toothpick yummies to nibble as well!enjoy!

gerry64, Oct 25, 8:10am
saved that recipe thanks timetable - I have been buying ham and bacon from this family business for 6 months and it is lovely - like it used to taste -better than the supermarket I think - shouldnt say that my son owns a paknsave!!! it is dearer but it is Pork from Oz not Hungary or somewhere else - and I like supporting small business -

beebs, Oct 26, 2:41am
when you say its decorated, what do they do?

timetable, Jun 24, 8:46am
cool gerry so pleased that you have found somewhere so awesome for your ham - it does taste better by far!!enjoy!!