Baked Alaska - can I do this ahead ...

gardie, Oct 23, 7:58pm
including popping the meringue on then stick it all in the freezer until I'm ready to put it in the oven?Will the meringue stand up to the freezing?I'm putting on a surprise birthday dinner for hubby - he's out fishing till 4 and I'd love to have everything ready before hand.TIA.

seniorbones, Oct 23, 8:38pm
I think you can, I have only made up to the stage of putting the meringue on and back in the freezer but beat the whites etc just before cooking but I'm sure I have read where you can get the whole thing prepared and freeze until ready to cook as you are only cooking the meringue not the icecream!

gardie, Oct 23, 9:13pm
I'm currently thinking that i'll get it all ready and make up the meringue, just putting it into the fridge for a last minute put together - unless someone can tell me for sure that it is OK to freeze the uncooked meringue too.I know that egg whites freeze well - its the other stuff I'm not so sure about.
Thanks seniorbones.

bluebell42, Oct 23, 9:29pm
Yep, I've put the whole thing in the freezer for a few hours - just cook till meringue is nicely coloured.Use a metal tray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gardie, Oct 24, 1:37am
Thankyou bluebell.I just made the meringue and thought I'd have one last look on here before decided what to do.You've saved my day.And yes - its on metal, I just popped it on the springform pan base that I cooked the sponge in.Will put an oven tray under it just in case though.

gardie, Jun 21, 11:54am
This worked out really well and all my dinner guests were suitably impressed.It was in the freezer for a couple of hours longer than I planned but was still absolutely beautiful.Would recommend anyone to give it a go.