Things our mothers cooked for us...

Page 2 / 4
wildflower, Oct 22, 2:46am
My mother died when I was a tot but I remember my nana cooking tripe for my grandfather, yuck!!!!

cookessentials, Oct 22, 2:49am
yes, an acquired taste LOL.

munrotti, Oct 22, 3:12am
comfrey

creeky1, Oct 22, 5:03am
Liver, had to cook some up for the dogs recently and dry retched the whole time. Leeks in white sauce and Broadbeans I called those yuks. My dad used to joke that the yuks were nearly ready, he only grew them for our English neighbours after that.

creeky1, Oct 22, 5:04am
Sorry, but I love tripe. Very hard to get now and expensive.

eastie3, Oct 22, 6:08am
My mother has always been a fabulous cook but she had a liking for kidneys that we never shared.In fact offal features strongly in this thread and I rather like tripe and liver/lambs fry,not so much black pudding *blerk* or broad beans in their pods,one vegetable that she did boil to buggery.I have only gone back to them recently and slip them out of their pods once (lightly) cooked.

chooky, Oct 22, 7:20am
My Mum used to cook carrots and parsnips and then mash them together - yuk. I like them both now but separate. We also had sago pudding which we use to call frogs eggs.We had a big vege garden, cabbage was an every night thing. I found out that its no good getting rid of it down the toilet as it floats!!! Times were tough so they kept on telling us (50 yrs ago) but we had a decent tea every night and also a pudding everynight. And we were made to eat it.

vintagekitty, Oct 22, 7:26am
silverbeet, cabbage- boiled, yams

elliehen, Oct 22, 7:28am
Don't be sorry, creeky1.Most people will be feeling sorry for YOU!To me the texture is like bubble wrap ;)

bedazzledjewels, Oct 22, 7:41am
Sago pudding with tinned pineapple swimming in it! It was the era of revolting milk puddings - tapioca, junket - although I liked blancmange and rice puddings.
We had a rather tragic ox tail stew once that was so tough that the bits flew all over the table. Didn't like the brains much either.
My Mum is a great baker though, hence my lifelong problems with carbs! Lol!

macandrosie, Oct 22, 8:26am
I'm a 1960 baby. Came from a family of 6 children! Mum cooked basic food, fish pie, we often went trawling in the Auckland harbour across to Waiheke Island for weekends. And Chinese Chew! I got soooo sick of it!

elliehen, Oct 22, 9:02am
macandrosie, I've updated that name to 'Ginger Oatie Slice'.In 1960s cookbooks, anything with ginger in it was Chinese.

frogz99, Oct 22, 9:09am
my mum was a terible cook but made the best vege soup. The worst thing she cooked was cabbage, she grew those crinkly ones and chopped them up and boiled them for a week, or so it seemed, then to add insult to injury she would use a star shaped 'cabbage cutter'thingy and chop the hell out of it, when she dished it up it sloshed across our plates and looked like snot!And yup, we ate it...too scared not to.

kuaka, Oct 22, 10:57am
we always called tapioca pudding "frogs spawn" but we loved it, and the sago, rice and semolina puddings mum used to make.I even love black pudding, but my dear old mil used to rave on about how delicious hearts were but she couldn't convince me 'cos my mum used to boil them up for the dog and the smell was disgusting.So one day mil cooked hearts for hubby, me and the kids.I was expecting them sliced and braised in gravy or something, but we just had a heart sitting on the plate.I could almost see it beating.I couldn't bring myself to even taste it.Mum used to boil the cabbage, sprouts or cauli until they were well and truly dead.The cauli would go pink and the sprouts went yellow.It's what is known as the "English stone method" of cooking.You put a stone in with the vegetables and boil till the stone is tender, then you throw out the veg and eat the stone.

elliehen, Oct 22, 11:06am
kuaka, there's a great children's story called 'Stone Soup' about a tramp who cons a woman into making him a delicious vegetable soup by telling her that he can make soup out of a stone.Of course, he starts with the stone, but then asks her to add this veg and that veg until he's satisfied, then he tosses out the stone and eats the soup!

lilyfield, Oct 22, 6:23pm
i still eat comfrey-

also milk left to go thick on the windowsill- yummy sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon.
We grew up without refrigerators

kuaka, Oct 22, 6:31pm
elliehen - that's very interesting.Maybe that's where the expression "English stone method" came from.Anyway, mum's sprouts and caulis were disgusting, but I enjoy them when I cook them, or when my sister does, as neither of us boil them to death.

luckyduck, Oct 22, 11:07pm
silverbeet, ugh!

norton, Oct 22, 11:23pm
LIVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mence, Oct 23, 12:41am
I think thats a very good comment.We should be thankful for what we have today.And give thanks to those who suffered so in order to help us to get it.Sorry thats a bit OT but had to put that in there.

mence, Oct 23, 12:48am
I LOVE mashed carrot and parsnip lol!Mum used to do it often.Dad had a huge garden so we always had fresh veges growing up.Broad beans were revolting, and still are.As were brussells sprouts, although I can eat them now.We had a pudding every night too.Rice puddings, instant puddings, custards with fruit.Mum is a wonderful cook.We always had lots of home baking too.On a still day we could smell it as we walked hom from school, and the last 20 or so metres were always a dash to see what mum had made today!

This was only 30 or so years ago too, so not that long ago.I remember one time mum made a silverbeet pie, that stunk.At the time I was doing farm work and we had found a cow that had died and been in the sun a while.The smells were about the same :(And she gave up cooking tripe when we were little cause it would have the dinner table in an uproar lol.Dad would eat it even though he didn't like it, and expected us to do the same.We just couldn't lol!

buzzy110, Oct 23, 12:56am
Nothing. My mother was, to my mind at the time, the most amazing producer of the most amazing food. Sure, now when I think back she was not very sophisticated about certain foods, but whatever she cooked tasted fantastic to me.

Quite frankly I think threads about food hates all a bit sad. We need food for our health and well being and for our survival. I'm sure none of our parents deliberately or conciously cooked us foods that were poisonous or bad for us and, instead tried to create meals that were within budget and healthy.

Our mothers did the absolute best they could given the times, budget and limited food choices and yet all I see in here are ungrateful children who never learned to appreciate their mother's efforts and probably made their mother's life hell at the dinner table.

So grow up the lot of you and get over it. Food is food and you should be over all this 'hate' nonsense by now and be looking instead at what will provide you with the best health outcome for the best taste.

cookessentials, Oct 23, 2:19am
Well, there goes the fun out of THIS thread. Dear oh dear, whatever next.

hezwez, Oct 23, 2:30am
Don't let her get to you cookessentials, she has an insatiable desire to post in as many threads as humanly possible. Killjoy was here!

fisher, Oct 23, 3:03am
Silverspoon huh buzzy ?.... well some of our families were hard done by and had hard times back then.. as kids we had our inherent dislikes and so it goes on nowadays with our kids....
"So grow up the lot of you and get over it. Food is food and you should be over all this 'hate' nonsense by now and be looking instead at what will provide you with the best health outcome for the best taste."
We have... its just "you" we can't get over telling us what and how to eat..its the self righteous folk like you that dont get the message...