Things our mothers cooked for us...

Page 4 / 4
antoniab, Oct 23, 6:11am
+1 :)

antoniab, Oct 23, 6:15am
Youre so weird!!! This is a light hearted thread, not criticising our mothers, why can you not see that? Its not all doom and gloom! Strange woman.

chooky, Oct 23, 6:19am
I dont comment on these threads very often, as it alway annoys me that they can start off so normal and end up so nasty.My mum is 89, still cooks and does her own baking. We have a laugh when all us kids get together and talk about what our meals use to be like and mum is always listening. I would never put her down and if she was close enough I would get her to read this thread as Im sure she would get a giggle out of it.And dont get me started about people staving overseas,they need pills and condons sent to them not food. If you dont like the thread turn the page, dont p...... the rest of us off who have fond memories.

cookessentials, Oct 23, 6:23am
I remember thinking of tapioca as frogs eggs too! it's funny how some of the comments bring back all sorts of memories.

mbos, Oct 23, 6:32am
You're sounding a bit unbalanced there buzzy.

My mother doesn't think I'm a horrible ungrateful child because I finally got the cajones to admit that I absolutely loathe jellied oxe's tongue and will never eat it again as long as I live, we laugh about it!Perhaps my mother doesn't have quite such a thin skin as some, and perhaps we have reasonably open communication.You're assuming that people haven't had these conversations round the kitchen or dining tables with their Mums.

Equally, she doesn't think she was a horrid ungrateful child because she couldn't eat silverbeet, got served the same portion morning, noon and night, until she choked it down and promptly vomited it up again after several days (being scared that she'd be made to eat the vomit).(She really quite likes silverbeet now though. . .)

kuaka, Oct 23, 7:06am
what's with buzzy?My mother was a great cook, up to a point - doesn't mean she couldn't occasionally serve something verging on inedible.She used to make a delicious bacon pudding, using boiling bacon, onions, lots of sage and suet pastry, but if she had a problem, it was that if ever my dad commented "that was delicious" we had it so often that we got sick of it.It all changed after my dad died (I was 12) she would go days without cooking, and if it hadn't been for the fact that my gran lived two houses away, I'm sure we would have starved.Looking back, mum obviously got very depressed after my dad committed suicide, and that's quite understandable.It seems that her cooking efforts were mainly to please him, and she never really enjoyed cooking again, just found it a chore, and hasn't cooked for years now, relying on meals-on-wheels, my sister, my daughter and my cousin, and is now finally in a home.Quite sad really for someone who used to enjoy cooking.

If ever we were served something we didn't like the look of we were told to "try it" - if we tried it and ate it, all good.If we tried it and didn't like it we were told "they eat rats in Russia".Quite put me off going to Russia for a visit.

nfh1, Oct 23, 7:34am
My parents are strictly meat and two veg people - no rice, no pasta, no messed about food with sauces!

When they used to come and stay with us when we were in the UK I used to struggle for ideas to cook, I use so much rice and pasta it is difficult to come up with meals without using either.

I think this is a interesting, fun thread and do not see it as any form of criticism or dis-respect to our Mums as you do buzzy.Perhaps as you are the only one who sees it in that manner could mean it is time to look at your own agenda rather than that of everyone else.You are beginning to look a little sad with your constant carping.

cookessentials, Oct 23, 7:34am
The whole thing with the thread is the food that tasted horrible to you as a child...wouldn't matter if Gordon Ramsay cooked it, it was still horrible...its just that there is someone who has taken that and turned it into somethng totallydifferent to the original topic and is way off beam.

kuaka, Oct 23, 8:09am
mum used to make a fruit jelly for pudding - it was supposed to be a "treat" - jelly with a can of fruit in it, usually canned mandarins - I used to hate it.On one of my trips back to the UK I went to stay with my uncle, who was so proud that he had taught himself to cook after my auntie died, and he cooked a lovely roast beef, roast veg, yorkshire puds, and he followed it with a fruit jelly - canned mandarins!I'm not sure how I got it down, but I did.We had half one day and the other half the next.Third day he announced that we were having fruit jelly with peaches instead of mandarins for a change.It was just as bad.

dilligaf_dah, Oct 23, 9:21am
My worst food memory as a child was burnt custard and made to eat it as it was food......... can not eat it now didnt like chocolate flavoured custard eithereven now wont eat it.
By the way brains are quuite nice if sliced thinly and deep fired like chipsjust taste cruchee

luckyduck, Oct 23, 10:03am
The thing that stands out in my memory most is the tinned corned beef that mum put in a sandwich for my school lunch. I remember the teacher aid standing over me insisting I ate it and me sobbing that I didn't like it. LOL It wasn't as if I was a picky eater either as I was a tubby little thing. I have never touched the stuff since!

aphra1, Jun 19, 12:01pm
In my opinion anyone who has the audacity to write the above ( in the context of what had been written before) might need to consider reflecting upon their motivation.When you write "grow up" "get over it" "you should" "nonsense" etc does that make you feel better about yourself dear?