Whats a good Shortbread Recipe

Page 1 / 2
offroader1, Oct 21, 5:56am
I've been trying the Edmond cook book, and the past 6times of making it it's horrible, tastes nothing like shortbread,

so who has the best shortcake recipe?????????

rainrain1, Oct 21, 6:29am
me... I'll go get it in a minute

antoniab, Oct 21, 6:32am
7 oz butter, 3/4 c icing sugar, 3/4 c cornflour, 1 1/2 c flour. Cream butter + icing sugar. Stir in sifted flour and cornflour. Roll into sausage shape on floured board. wrap in greasproof paper + chill in the fridge. Cut into 1/2 inch thick slices + bake @ 150 for 30mins.
Yumo! Mums recipe, I made for the first time last weekend and they came out mint!

rainrain1, Oct 21, 6:34am
Here you go:-

Heathers Shortbread

Cream 1/2 lb butter, 2 ozs sugar, and 2 ozs icing sugar.
Add 2 Tblsp cornflour and 10 ozs flour.
Roll out square or into a log and slice...about 2doz pieces
Bake 160C for 20-25 minutes

markkirsty, Oct 21, 6:40am
My Mum and my Nana!!!!!

8 oz (225gm) Butter
4 oz (115gm) Icing sugar (not Budget as it is gritty as)
10 oz (285gm) Flour
4 oz (115gm) Cornflour
Cream butter and sugar until white. Add dry ingredients.Roll out to 1/4-1/2 inch (1-1 1/2 cm) thick. Cut into squares. Prick with a fork before cooking. Bake at 300deg F (150deg C) for 20-25 minutes.Don't overcook, it should be paleish and just a little coloured around the edges.

nauru, Oct 21, 7:12am
This is an old English recipe

9 oz flour, 6 oz butter, 3 oz sugar. Sorry haven't the metric measurements.
Mix flour & sugar and rub in butter.Mix together until a stiff paste is formed and chill 30 mins.Roll out and cut into fingers, bake for 15 mins @ 180C
I usually roll the paste into a sausage shape before cilling and then cut into slices & bake.Also I sometimes add 1/4 cup chopped nuts with flour.

frogz99, Oct 21, 7:48am
This is the same as mine, used it for years but once I didn't have cornflour so used custard powder instead!Surprisingly it was yummy and now my family prefer that to the original.

momma1, Oct 21, 8:22pm
its a ratio thing. try 4oz castor sugar, 8oz butter, 4oz cornflour and 8oz flour. cream butter and sugar, add dry and mix

pickles7, Oct 21, 8:28pm
x1
Shortbread .....Large lot.
cream 500 grams of butter with 250 grams of icing sugar 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp salt. add 750 grams sifted flour in 3 lots. You can roll and cut into shapes, or I prefer to make cylinders of the mix, wrap in glad wrap, chill in fridge, and slice 1cm thick. put on tray and stamp with a floured pototoe masher, leaves a nice pattern. 150 deg c, untill cooked. Nice and keeps well.

Quotepickles7 (463 )11:57 pm, Sun 21 Mar #10

mamaa, Oct 25, 6:08am
Markirsty...Mums Nanasshortbread recipe.I made it today.It is just like my Mums and Nanas...Geez it is 20 years since I made shorbread, and i had forgotton how long it takes to cream butter and icing sugar.But was sure beautiful...
thanks......

elliehen, Oct 25, 9:55am
The best Scottish shorbread has a touch of lemon juice in it - the secret ingredient ;)

elliehen, Oct 25, 10:24am
BTW a good gift idea for a neighbour is to wrap six rounds of shortbread in foil, then in Christmas paper with a tie of curling ribbon at each end to look like a Christmas cracker.

willyow, Oct 25, 10:50pm
Add the seeds from a vanilla pod and let the dough stand in the fridge overnight before baking - sensational!

smileeah, Oct 26, 12:54am
I used to have a recipe that used rice flour along with plain flour but I can't find it now. It made a really nice shortbread that didn't dissolve into a goopy mess in your mouth like some shortbread does. I don't know if that's the correct description, I just really liked it anyway. I'm sure there will be a recipe on google somewhere if you want to try it, it was my favourite shortbread recipe.

smileeah, Oct 26, 1:01am
Here's one recipe I just found http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/11609/shortbread
I remember the mixture being really really soft, def a good idea to refrigerate before working with it.

offroader1, Oct 21, 5:56am
I've been trying the Edmond cook book, and the past 6times of making it it's horrible, tastes nothing like shortbread,

so who has the best shortcake recipe!

rainrain1, Oct 21, 6:29am
me. I'll go get it in a minute

rainrain1, Oct 21, 6:34am
Here you go:-

Heathers Shortbread

Cream 1/2 lb butter, 2 ozs sugar, and 2 ozs icing sugar.
Add 2 Tblsp cornflour and 10 ozs flour.
Roll out square or into a log and slice.about 2doz pieces
Bake 160C for 20-25 minutes

markkirsty, Oct 21, 6:40am
My Mum and my Nana!

8 oz (225gm) Butter
4 oz (115gm) Icing sugar (not Budget as it is gritty as)
10 oz (285gm) Flour
4 oz (115gm) Cornflour
Cream butter and sugar until white. Add dry ingredients.Roll out to 1/4-1/2 inch (1-1 1/2 cm) thick. Cut into squares. Prick with a fork before cooking. Bake at 300deg F (150deg C) for 20-25 minutes.Don't overcook, it should be paleish and just a little coloured around the edges.

nauru, Oct 21, 7:12am
This is an old English recipe

9 oz flour, 6 oz butter, 3 oz sugar. Sorry haven't the metric measurements.
Mix flour & sugar and rub in butter.Mix together until a stiff paste is formed and chill 30 mins.Roll out and cut into fingers, bake for 15 mins @ 180C
I usually roll the paste into a sausage shape before cilling and then cut into slices & bake.Also I sometimes add 1/4 cup chopped nuts with flour.

frogz99, Oct 21, 7:48am
This is the same as mine, used it for years but once I didn't have cornflour so used custard powder instead!Surprisingly it was yummy and now my family prefer that to the original.

pickles7, Oct 21, 8:28pm
Shortbread .Large lot.
cream 500 grams of butter with 250 grams of icing sugar 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp salt. add 750 grams sifted flour in 3 lots. You can roll and cut into shapes, or I prefer to make cylinders of the mix, wrap in glad wrap, chill in fridge, and slice 1cm thick. put on tray and stamp with a floured pototoe masher, leaves a nice pattern. 150 deg c, untill cooked. Nice and keeps well.

Quotepickles7 (463 )11:57 pm, Sun 21 Mar #10

mamaa, Oct 25, 6:08am
Markirsty.Mums Nanasshortbread recipe.I made it today.It is just like my Mums and Nanas.Geez it is 20 years since I made shorbread, and i had forgotton how long it takes to cream butter and icing sugar.But was sure beautiful.
thanks.

smileeah, Oct 26, 12:54am
I used to have a recipe that used rice flour along with plain flour but I can't find it now. It made a really nice shortbread that didn't dissolve into a goopy mess in your mouth like some shortbread does. I don't know if that's the correct description, I just really liked it anyway. I'm sure there will be a recipe on google somewhere if you want to try it, it was my favourite shortbread recipe.

smileeah, Oct 26, 1:01am
Here's one recipe I just found http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/11609/shortbread I remember the mixture being really really soft, def a good idea to refrigerate before working with it. And here's another one I might try for christmas as well. http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/forum/read.php!3,36572