Whats a good Shortbread Recipe

Page 2 / 2
bev00, Oct 26, 9:53am
so many to try.shortbread makes great Chrissie pressies

seaturtle, Oct 26, 5:30pm
To add to the yummyness!
I like to make my own butter to make shortbread with. Fresh butter seems to have a diffrent taste, we think it is much nicer. With electric beaters butter is really easy to make and price wise it works out to aprox the price of a pound of butter not on special .

korbo, Oct 26, 6:55pm
i love the gritty taste in shortbread. It is one of the best things about xmas. The potatoe masher to make a pattern sounds great. I have some wooden things that you can stamp on the shortbread as well.
Tradition xmas baking is shortbread, peanut brownies, booze slice and rum balls in our house.

horizons_, Oct 26, 7:41pm
Normal sugar = crunchy/gritty shortbread
Castor sugar = finer texture/crunch
Icing sugar = smooth melt in the mouth biscuit
Cornflour = smoother texture to biscuit
Have fun.

davidt4, Oct 26, 7:57pm
Here's my favourite - from Elizabeth David.I love the name (although it's referring to fruit fools, not idiots).The rice flour gives it that slightly gritty texture.

Almond Shortbread for Fools

3 oz unsalted butter
1 ½ oz caster sugar
3 oz flour
1 oz ground almonds
½ oz rice flour

Cream butter & sugar.Sift dry ingredients and beat in.Don’t overwork.

Press into 6” square tin (or make 6” circle on baking sheet).Prick.Bake 160C 75 min until pale gold.

Cut while tepid.

bev00, Oct 26, 12:13pm
baking for christmas gifts

aasha, Oct 27, 8:47am
My children's great- grandmother made the best shortbread I have ever tried. She used icing sugar,cornflour, flour, butter like other recipes postedbut her secret ingredient was a dessertspoon of malted milkor horlicks added to the dry ingredients - flavour is too die for.

vampiriousmist, Oct 28, 3:01am
I have got a beautiful lemon shortbread one that I got off here - I even made it gluten free using g/f flour :)

300g soft butter
1 cup icing sugar
zest of 1 lemon
3 cups sifted plain flour

Preheat over to 180. Cream butter and sugar and zest. Mix in flour. Form mixture into a ball. It will look dry but that is right. Roll out mixture on lightly floured bench. Cut into shapes. Place on tray lined with baking paper. Pick the shapes and bake for about 20 minutes.

makerealbany, Oct 28, 9:58am
I am going to try that tomorrow vampiriousmist, I love lemons.
Gritty Shortbread that the guys in my family love.
250g/8oz Butter
2 cups Flour
170g/ 6oz Sugar
Half tspn Baking Powder

Cream butter and sugar, add dry ingredients.Mix and knead well. Form into a role and slice. I put it in the fridge for 10 mins. Prick pieces with a fork. Bake in cool to moderate oven 10 to 15 mins depending on your oven.

jenna68, Oct 28, 8:19pm
Whiz recipe - quick and easy, can make it, roll it in logs and cook later or next day so prep work is done when you need them.

WHIZ CYLINDER SHORTBREAD

225g soft butter (don't use marge - not as good and does not hold shape)
3/4 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp ess
1 and 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cups cornflour
pinch salt

In whiz. add butter, sug, ess, whiz till smooth.In with the rest, whiz well - may need to get a spoon to dig up stuff at bottom of whiz to make sure all mixed tog.Knead into a firm ball, dust hands, grab a chunk and roll into logs.Wrap in glad wrap, in fridge at least 2 hours.150oC, 1cm thick slices on lined tray 25 - 25 mins depending on oven. And yes, there is no BP in this recipe.At
Christmas time, add finely chopped red and green cherries AFTER mixture out of whiz and knead them in - makes pretty gifts! :)