Can l freeze cauliflower?

griffo4, Oct 19, 11:04pm
l have heaps of cauliflower all ready at once and l have made pickles etc and given heaps away but still have some left that are all ready so just wonder what l need to do to freeze them or any other ideas greatly appreciated TIA

earthangel4, Oct 19, 11:11pm
I blanch mine first,then freeze,works well for me,but others might have better ideas.
Good luck.

245sam, Oct 19, 11:38pm
Same here as for earthangel4 - we don't often freeze cauliflower but when we have done so, blanching then freezing worked well for us.
:-))

uli, Oct 20, 12:15am
I nearly cook it soft - so a bit longer than blanching. I found it cooks softer that way - if just blanched for a minute or two (to kill enzymes) I often found it goes rubbery when thawed and cooked later.

You can also roughly grate it (or process in food processor) and then freeze it. Use it to make cauliflower "rice". Very nice mixed with freshly grated coconut or fried with some coconut oil, or steamed with added coconut cream.

Goes very well with any type of curry or butter chicken.

fisher, Oct 20, 12:41am
blanche a touch longer and freeze in bags where air has been withdrawn from... I dont recook but simply place in a pot of boiling water to reheat through from frozen..

uli, Oct 20, 3:27am
*waves to fisher* - how are things shaping up your way? Family stuff getting better?

griffo4, Oct 20, 4:46am
Thanks for that l will give all those ideas a go as l have a heap left in the garden and we are a bit over cauli
lt's either feast or famine with my vegies, thanks

nik12, Jun 13, 4:14pm
Dad used to blanch it (probably for longer than out modern blanching considering what he did to all the other vege's he cooked lol).. he'd then put it on tray in the freezer overnight to free flow, sucking all the air out when packaging the next day.Very handy to just get out what you need.