Vogels bread recipe

trading_gibsons, Oct 17, 9:35pm
Has anyone got a recipe for handmade (not breadmaker as I don't have one) similar to vogels?
Would love try experiment with some.

michelle_09, Oct 18, 6:35am
ooo bumping, I would love something like this!

lilyfield, Oct 18, 8:43am
this has been designed for machines, but no reason not to make it by hand.:

This is a grain loaf I make.
1/2 cup kibbled grain
3 tsp Surebake yeast
2 TBS oil { I use canola }
1TB sugar
1,1/2 tsp salt
1 cup wholemeal flour
2.1/2 cups high grade flour
1.1/4 cup tepid water
Before making,put kibble grain in small pot & cover with 2-3 cups cold water,bring to boil & simmer 1-2 minutes,take from heat & drain well in sieve, when cool .make bread,add grain.
I have a Panasonic & just use the rapid bake 1hr, 55min mode & it cooks prefectly.
Have seen recipes that don't cook the kibble grain first.just add it ,as is. but have never tried it myself, kibble grain is in bulk bins at Pak N Save

trading_gibsons, Oct 18, 7:58pm
Great thanks lilyfield! Really appreciate you taking the time to give me this, I'd just about given up.
I'll get the ingredients & try this recipe, I looked on the net but didn't find much.

janny3, Mar 31, 1:44pm
Thanks for this tip about this bread.I also found it on foodlovers but glad for your recommendation.I am going to try its as I can use in the breadmachine.Thanks again,
http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/forum/read.php!3,122573,122584,quote=1

jacqueline, Apr 1, 8:36am
This my version of handmade Vogels-like Bread that i have adapted from Jim Lahey

jacqueline, Apr 1, 8:42am
Here is my latest version of the Vogels-like Bread Adapted from Jim Lahey

peterbk, Apr 1, 9:14am
I have long searched for a recipe for a Vogels-like bread and recently adapted Jim Lahey’s no knead white bread to come up with a loaf that is just like vogels, moist and chewy with a great crust and toasts great too. It is baked in a pre heated cast iron dutch oven with a lid, but a pyrex or ceramic container can also be used. No kneading, just mix up ingredients and let time do the kneading for you. only requires a few minutes hands on time, but requires forward planning as can take up to 24 to 36 hours before ready to bake.
Jacquelines slow-rise vogels bread recipe:
Place the following dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well, (seeds all optional)
½ cup kibbled wheat
¼ cup kibbled rye
4 cups high grade bread flour
1 cup whole meal flour
¼ cup rolled oats
½ cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
2 Tbsp Quinoa
3 tbsp flax seed
3 Tbsp chia seeds
3 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp gluten
2 Tbsp skim milk powder
1/3 teaspoon instant yeast
2 3/4 teaspoons salt
3 1/4 cups fridge cold water
1 tsp wine vinegar
Add the water and vinegar to the soaked kibbled grain mixture and then pour into the mixed dry ingredients.
Mix well until a shaggy dough forms.
Cover bowl and dough with a plastic bag and leave in fridge for 3 to 12 hours.
Take out of fridge and place on bench for 12 -18 hours to rise. Leave for longer if cold weather, it needs to have bubbles forming on the top of the dough when ready
When dough is bubbly on top, stir and fold dough over on itself once or twice, using a silicone spatula.
Cover and let rest about 15 minutes.
1. Using a spatula, gently shape dough into a ball, folding it over on itself, no kneading necessary.
2. Dust flour over the bottom of the bowl and place the dough seam side down into the bowl. Cover and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.
3. Half an hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 220 deg C and place the 4 1/2 litre cast iron dutch oven and lid in to heat also.
4. Tip dough gently into hot dutch oven container, seam side up. Sprinkle quickly with water and put lid on pot and place back in oven. (I use a silicone spatula to ease the dough from the sides of the bowl cleanly as I tip it into the bowl. I try to prevent any strands of dough from breaking)
5. Bake 35 minutes then remove lid and bake a further 15 minutes to brown top. Remove from oven, tip bread onto a rack, cover with a tea towel and leave to cool. Do not slice until cool..
The quinoa and all the seeds can be omitted to make a loaf like the "Original Vogels loaf" , costs a lot less but still gives a great textured and chewy bread. I still like to add sunflower seeds if i have them though, they do make it very tasty.

peterbk, Apr 2, 10:14am
I have long searched for a recipe for a Vogels-like bread and recently adapted Jim Lahey’s no knead white bread to come up with a loaf that is just like vogels, moist and chewy with a great crust and toasts great too. It is baked in a pre heated cast iron dutch oven with a lid, but a pyrex or ceramic container can also be used. No kneading, just mix up ingredients and let time do the kneading for you. only requires a few minutes hands on time, but requires forward planning as can take up to 24 to 36 hours before ready to bake.
Jacquelines slow-rise vogels bread recipe:
Place the following dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well, (seeds all optional)
½ cup kibbled wheat
¼ cup kibbled rye
4 cups high grade bread flour
1 cup whole meal flour
¼ cup rolled oats
½ cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
2 Tbsp Quinoa
3 tbsp flax seed
3 Tbsp chia seeds
3 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp gluten
2 Tbsp skim milk powder
1/3 teaspoon instant yeast
2 3/4 teaspoons salt
3 1/4 cups fridge cold water
1 tsp wine vinegar
Add the water and vinegar to the soaked kibbled grain mixture and then pour into the mixed dry ingredients.
Mix well until a shaggy dough forms.
Cover bowl and dough with a plastic bag and leave in fridge for 3 to 12 hours.
Take out of fridge and place on bench for 12 -18 hours to rise. Leave for longer if cold weather, it needs to have bubbles forming on the top of the dough when ready
When dough is bubbly on top, stir and fold dough over on itself once or twice, using a silicone spatula.
Cover and let rest about 15 minutes.
1. Using a spatula, gently shape dough into a ball, folding it over on itself, no kneading necessary.
2. Dust flour over the bottom of the bowl and place the dough seam side down into the bowl. Cover and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.
3. Half an hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 220 deg C and place the 4 1/2 litre cast iron dutch oven and lid in to heat also.
4. Tip dough gently into hot dutch oven container, seam side up. Sprinkle quickly with water and put lid on pot and place back in oven. (I use a silicone spatula to ease the dough from the sides of the bowl cleanly as I tip it into the bowl. I try to prevent any strands of dough from breaking)
5. Bake 35 minutes then remove lid and bake a further 15 minutes to brown top. Remove from oven, tip bread onto a rack, cover with a tea towel and leave to cool. Do not slice until cool.
The quinoa and all the seeds can be omitted to make a loaf like the "Original Vogels loaf" , costs a lot less but still gives a great textured and chewy bread. I still like to add sunflower seeds if i have them though, they do make it very tasty.

trading_gibsons, Oct 18, 9:35pm
Has anyone got a recipe for handmade (not breadmaker as I don't have one) similar to vogels!
Would love try experiment with some.

lilyfield, Oct 19, 8:43am
this has been designed for machines, but no reason not to make it by hand.:

This is a grain loaf I make.
1/2 cup kibbled grain
3 tsp Surebake yeast
2 TBS oil { I use canola }
1TB sugar
1,1/2 tsp salt
1 cup wholemeal flour
2.1/2 cups high grade flour
1.1/4 cup tepid water
Before making,put kibble grain in small pot & cover with 2-3 cups cold water,bring to boil & simmer 1-2 minutes,take from heat & drain well in sieve, when cool .make bread,add grain.
I have a Panasonic & just use the rapid bake 1hr, 55min mode & it cooks prefectly.
Have seen recipes that don't cook the kibble grain first.just add it ,as is. but have never tried it myself, kibble grain is in bulk bins at Pak N Save

trading_gibsons, Oct 19, 7:58pm
Great thanks lilyfield! Really appreciate you taking the time to give me this, I'd just about given up.
I'll get the ingredients & try this recipe, I looked on the net but didn't find much.