Rewana Bread recipe please.

4teeandkay, Oct 28, 7:01am
I have one here but I really am not sure if I am reading right.
It says the levening for the bread (raising agent) is a. Starter plant. and b. Original Starter. Then goes on to explain what you have to do. Its just that the other recipe says Rewana Paraoa... . . and asks for 5 cups of flour... . . 1 tsp salt... . . 1 tsp baking powder... . . and 'rewana'. Meaning the leven ? ? How much ? ? Is what I am not sure of... . . arnt you suppose to keep the 'plant'Help... . . or an easier bread recipe. Can you bake it in a breadmaker ? ? Thanks

beaker59, Oct 28, 8:34am
Rewana is basically a sour dough, read the sour dough thread. If you want to I will share my starter with you. I see you are out west I work there so you could pick some up from me if you like, with instructions.

uli, Oct 28, 8:40am
rewanan is a sourdough started with a cooked potato, flour, sugar and water. A normal sourdough is just water and flour.
Once you have the rewana (=the starter) then you proceed to make the bread.

elliehen, Oct 28, 9:26am
Original Plant for Potato Leaven: 1 & 1/2 pints water, 1 potato, 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon sugar. Boil the potato in 1 & 1/2 pints of unsalted water to mashing consistency, cool to lukewarm. Mix in flour and sugar, pour into quart preserving jar and leave in warm place until it begins to ferment. This could take several days. [Apologies for not doing the metric conversion]
Rewena Paraoa (Maori Bread):
6 cups flour, 3 Tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 pint leaven mixture. Mix all ingreds well and leave to prove for 8 hours in covered bowl in warm place. Then knead mixture thoroughly; more flour may be required for firm dough. Put into a warm greased camp oven and warm and grease lid as well and place on top; or put into 2 warmed & greased loaf tins and let rise again in warm place for another 1 & 1/2 hours. Bake at 220*C for 45-50 mins for camp oven bread; bake at 200*C for 45-50 mins for bread in loaf tins.
Return a piece of uncooked dough about the size of a tennis ball to the preserving jar and feed alternately with 1/2 teaspoon sugar one day and a little unsalted potato water the next, until the next baking.
[From 'Take Our Bread' by Marcelle Pilkinton 1979]

4teeandkay, Oct 28, 10:50pm
Thank you thank you. I just wasnt sure whether you took all of the 'bug - starter' for a loaf or part of it and keep going. But am I correct you use all of it and just restart another one with the dough before cooking. So looking forward to keeping on going as we LOVE the bread. So hard to find someone that bakes it... . . this is now my mission to provide bread for family. Would love to get a starter from you beaker59. If you 'list' the starter I could buy and meet you in West. Thanks. (haha need all the help I can get)

elliehen, Feb 23, 9:56am
Bumped for new thread asking for Maori bread

elliehen, Feb 23, 8:04pm
For catlover28

crystalmoon, Apr 13, 6:47pm
cool, have been wanting to try this for ages, will start today so hopefully will line up with weekend. Fingers crossed.

doreenm, May 29, 5:57am
Rewana bread. I remember as a kid my Mum made bread every other, & I often had to take my turn kneading for at least 10-20mins !! long time for a kid who only wanted to play. Anyway, my Mum used raw potato to make up the leavening at the beginning. When the actual bread was to be made, she poured what she needed into the measured flour, to make the bread, left the raw potatoes in the jar added flour, warm water & a teaspoon sugar to it for the next loaf. After the first round of kneading, the dough was placed in a large bowl, & left to rise in a warm place to twice the size. A sprinkling of flour was added to the bowl, the dough kneaded again for 10 or so mins, then placed in a buttered camp oven, left to rise again to the top of the camp oven, then baked for 45mins-1hr or till golden brown.