Potato Fritters

jessie981, Oct 14, 4:08am
Have cooked mashed potato & want to make fritters but find when I bind with egg, flour cheese they are too wet. Can I make them without using the egg

cgvl, Oct 14, 4:22am
I have only made potato fritters using grated uncooked potato.
When you mashed them did you add anything to the mash before the egg etc?
If not add a handful of rolled oats as they will soak up any excess moisture but you may have to leave them overnight in the fridge or freezer so that they firm up.
Hope that helps.

jessie981, Oct 14, 4:47am
They are left over mashed potato so have milk & butter added. was wondering how just flour would work, but do have rolled oats so will try them for binding. Want them for tonights tea. Thanks.

grannypam, Oct 14, 4:51am
I have never seen potato fritters made with mashed potato but in the past I have used up leftover mashed spud by adding flour , sometimes also some grated onion and or cheese ..

work in as much flour as you need to make a firmish dough and then roll it out into a sausage shape.. cut into slices and shallow fry for a few minutes each side.. you could also dip each round into egg and breadcrumbs..

jessie981, Oct 14, 4:57am
Maybe I should have called them patties. Off to try the combination of flour etc & rolled oats.

rainrain1, Oct 14, 6:07am
You might like to try these

Potato Blocks

1 egg
1 Tblsp chopped parsley
pepper and salt to taste
2 cups mashed potato
1/2 cup flour
Add egg, parsley, pepper and salt to mashed potato. Then add enough flour to make mixture firm. Press out on a floured board like scone mixture. Cut into blocks. Fry both sides till crisp

winnie231, May 29, 9:49am
x1
Potato Cakes - from Alison Holst's 'Dollars & Sense Cookbook'

1C mashed potato
1/2C self raising flour
1/2tsp celery salt
1/2tsp onion or garlic salt
milk to mix

Mix mashed potato, flour & flavoured salts together until crumbly, then add enough milk to make a dough a little firmer than a scone dough.
Tip onto a floured board, and form into 8-12 patties.
Fry in a pan with 2-3Tblspn butter or cooking fat. Turn when golden brown, after 1-2mins, adding more fat if needed while the second side cooks. Serve hot ot warm, alone or as part of a meal.

Hope this helps - I figure you can change the seasoning ... or add herbs, etc to taste.