Smoked chicken use by date

dipton, Oct 11, 3:55am
Have a smoked chicken in the fridge, best by date 14 September, is it OK to eat?Have been away looking after my sick Dad for 6 weeks and had given the family instructions to find and eat it, but not coming from a line of hunter/gatherers they didn't search for it in the back of the fridge!!!!Thanks in advance

levintofu, Oct 11, 4:13am
sniff test should prevail... being smoked (and shrink wrapped?) it should survive... but play it safe if it smells iffy at all

traceedwards, Oct 11, 4:16am
Not a month past use by imo

Treat it as you would fresh chicken.They arent 'smoked' in the preserving sense, rather just to give it flavour.

pickles7, Oct 11, 4:26am
I would bin it, wrap it in paper and bin it. If in doubt throw it out!!!

mallee, Oct 11, 5:15am
Have to agree, one has to be very careful with chicken, it's not worth getting sick for.

deus701, Oct 11, 5:20am
best before = use own judgement
use by = throw it out

cookessentials, Oct 11, 8:54am
Date marks come under different headings and there is a difference between a ‘Use By’ date and a ‘Best Before’ date.

A ‘Use By’ date shows how long your food should keep for safely if the storage instructions are followed. You shouldn’t buy or eat food if the ‘Use By’ date has passed. It’s illegal to sell food with an expired ‘Use By’ date and if a shop is found to be selling unfit food, they can be fined.

A ‘Best Before’ date is different in that it refers to the quality of the food. This date gives you an idea of when the food should be eaten if you want to eat it at its best quality. After the ‘Best Before’ date it is likely that the quality of the product may begin to change. It isn’t a safety issue and food can still be sold by shops beyond its ‘Best Before’ date as long as it’s still fit to eat.

Often, shops may have goods where the ‘Best Before’ date has expired and sell them for a reduced price.

Keep in mind that it’s not legally required to date label all food. For example, unpackaged foods such as loose fruit, or food with a shelf life of longer than two years are not required to have a date label.

nfh1, May 23, 9:56am
I am surprised it has not walked out on its own!

I would definitely not eat it, no matter what I did with it I would be thinking it would make me ill.

Just to add - I am amazed that it does not have a 'Use By' Date on - chicken is notorious for food poisoning.