BEETROOT SALAD

madonna1, Oct 10, 10:10pm
x1
Anyone know a recipe for a nice beetroot salad? I had a recipe that had beetroot, potato and eggs in inbut I have now lost it.I was told it originated from the islands - it was delicious

indy95, Oct 10, 10:19pm
Madonna1, if you use the message board on the left of your screen you will find a number of threads on beetroot salads. There are some really great recipes in there. Just choose Anytime as the date posted option.

wildebeest, Oct 10, 10:20pm
there's a real nice looking beetroot saladrecipe in the new taste mag (must be nov's?) it should be on taste.co.nz by now! doesnt have potato and egg tho, and that sounds delish!

madonna1, Oct 10, 10:39pm
Thanks - I have just looked in the recipes and found a few I am going to try - now going to check taste.co.nz.

crystalmoon, Oct 10, 10:46pm
Hey madonna, I think the recipe you are looking for is a Rarotongan Potato Salad also called ( mai-naise)sp It has a lovely chowchow fresh mayonaise dressing.You can also get it at most wekend markets,Otara Markets sell it,usually by the island doughnuts.If you have weekend markets in your area check out the island food stalls.
Otherwise a basic recipe would be cooked,potato,boiled eggs,tin beetroot and bind together with fresh mayo with a few dollops of chowchow pickle,mix all together,seasonmound on platter,cover with layer of the mayo and sprinkle,chopped egg,pea's and chopped beetroot on top and chill before serving,goodluck.

zappi, Oct 10, 10:52pm
Beetroot Jelly Salad.One can of diced beetroot, one packet of boysenberry jelly.Drain Beetroot into bowl.Empty jelly packet into a bowl and pour over 3/4 cup hot water to dissolve.Add 3 tblspns of wine vinegar (I only have red wine so use this but I think any vinegar would be ok) mix together and pour over the beetroot.Put in fridge to set.So yummy.We just about have to fight our kids to get any.Make it at lunch time and its set by dinner.

madonna1, Oct 11, 2:23am
Thanks Crystalmoon - that is the recipe and thanks to everyone else for the yummy recipes - I going try them all.

guest, Apr 27, 2:59pm
x1
i just got the recipe for mainaise off the kiwi kooking corner website.. Making it for a special occasion YUM.. Good luck on finding it.. :)