Beetroot salad .

sarahb5, Dec 1, 10:09pm
I have a recipe for carrot and beetroot salad but could I use tinned beetroot!I have one in my pantry that I picked up for something but once I'd got it I couldn't remember why .

lilyfield, Dec 1, 11:10pm
does it say use cooked beetroot! then you certainly can use a tin.

sarahb5, Dec 2, 12:13am
No it doesn't - it just says to grate the beetroot so I assumed it wasn't cooked but I think just the combination of ingredients should still be OK, just that the texture won't be the same

fisher, Dec 2, 12:26am
True. grate suggests raw beetroot.maybe blitz/pulse it lightly in a processor

davidt4, Dec 2, 12:30am
I'd use another recipe if I were you.Grated raw beetroot has a lot of body, whereas cooked beetroot is soft.I think tinned beetroot would go pasty and the flavour would be different as well.

I'd keep the tinned beetroot for home made hamburgers!

sarahb5, Dec 2, 12:53am
No thanks .

pickles7, Dec 2, 2:38am
I made a carrot and beetroot salad, recipe years ago, was not popular at all. raw grated carrot on a platter with raw grates beetroot in the center, looked smashing, but was a definite once only salad. Raw beetroot tastes a little earthy, no matter how well you scrub and peel it.

sarahb5, Dec 2, 2:45am
Yeah that's what I was thinking too - I know I quite like that earthy flavour when it's roasted but not sure about when it's raw.Might try the flavour combo with the tinned beetroot and see whether it works or not - I love the upbeet salad they used to sell at Countdown but they don't seem to have it anymore

uli, Dec 2, 2:56am
If you want to make a good raw beetroot salad then use my old recipe:

grate raw, peeled beetroot very fine (but not to a mush),
grate peeled apples a bit coarser,
mix with yoghurt/mayo/vinegar dressing and add lots of pepper and a bit of salt.

Everybody will love it!

sarahb5, Dec 2, 8:33am
I'm the only one in our house who likes beetroot and I don't like salads with yoghurt/mayo-type dressings - the recipe I found was grated beetroot, carrot, raisins or currants and that was about it - a spoonful of brown sugar and some seasoning I think and all done

korbo, Dec 2, 8:48am
sarahd, that sounds nice. except i would use apple cider vinegar or even white or malt instead of mayo.
i am sure i have bought this at a supermarket years ago.
i grate cooked beetroot, chop up red onion, grated carrot, and cider vinegar, just a little. we eat it as a **bit of a clean up ** in the gut.

mchatchell, Dec 2, 11:19pm
I make a beetroot salad (tinned) with orzo pasta, chopped beetroot, lots of chopped mint, cucumber and feta cheese. You can add a dressing if you like (french!) but I prefer it without.

sarahb5, Dec 3, 12:46am
That's so funny - I found a recipe just like that on the Healthy Food Guide website yesterday and thought it would be great for lunch so long as I wasn't wearing anything white!I am going to try the one I found today - will let you know how it goes .

sarahb5, Dec 3, 4:49am
I used the canned beetroot and I thought it was yum - 1 can of diced beetroot drained, 1 large grated carrot, 2 Tbsps of lemon juice, 1 tsp of ground coriander, 1 Tbsp of brown sugar and 40g of dried cranberries - different but not weird

bev00, Dec 2, 10:17am
Beetroot, broadbeans and feta with dressing makes a lovely salad

carlosjackal, Dec 2, 6:52pm
Beetroot, Pear and Feta Salad with Orange Balsamic Reduction

Ingredients:
Beetroot - 3 medium
Pear - 1 ripe - firm variety
Feta Cheese crumbled - 1/2 cup (about 100 gm)
Walnuts - 1/2 cup (toasted and lightly rubbed to remove the peel)
Coriander leaves - 2-3 tbsp - optional

Dressing:
Orange juice - 4 tbsp
Balsamic vinegar - 1/2 cup
Olive oil - 2tbsp
Lemon juice - 2 tsp
Grated giner - 1/2 tsp
Grated garlic - 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Freshly crushed black pepper - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste

1. Put the beets into a roasting dish and drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and some soft brown sugar until beets are cooked through.

2. Meanwhile, heat the balsamic vinegar and orange juice together on a medium heat till it reduces to half (about 4-5 minutes), stirring occasionally.

3. Whisk in all the other ingredients of the dressing along with the orange juice reduction and keep aside to allow the flavours to meld.

4. Cut baby beets in half (or larger beets into bite size pieces).Place in a bowl and toss with the dressing.

5.Cut the pears into very thin slices and place in a separate bowl to the beets – to avoid any staining from the beetroot. Add the crumbled feta cheese, toasted walnuts, beetroot leaves and coriander.

When ready to serve plate the salador gently combine all salad ingredients together.

willyow, Dec 2, 7:17pm
We eat raw beetroot a lot - large chunky grated version - with a cider vinegarand olive oil dressing - greatdished up alongsidesalad-type meals - doesn't taste earthy due to the dressing - tastes quite zingy and refreshing

sarahb5, Dec 2, 7:35pm
I will try this then - the one I actually made from the HFG website was also yum and I have now converted hubby and 2 of my children to liking beetroot as well!