Red Cabbage

Page 1 / 2
marlin9, Oct 10, 12:16am
Anybody got any great recipes for cooking this - have them ready to pick in the vege patch.Also pickled red cabbage - how is it done.

ed65, Oct 10, 12:27am
We have a favourite 'recipe' using red cabbage but it's not cooked. The only salad my fussy daughter will eat is the side salad served at our local Japanese restaurant. Equal amounts of very finely sliced red cabbage and iceberg lettuce, and grated carrot. Boring so far I know but there's a McCormick brand sesame dressing sold at Countdown (international food section) which is absolutely delicious on this salad. I've also noticed a similar but different brand of sesame dressing in Countdown's fresh vege section too.
Now I hate coleslaw but the two of us eat bowl after bowl of this sesame salad! Red cabbage is very good for you by the way.
I've got 'proper' recipes using red cabbage but I haven't tried them myself yet. Do you want me to post them anyway?

marlin9, Oct 10, 12:29am
Yes post away.i love it and Pickled Red cabbage mum used to do and preserve like pickled onions.

katalin2, Oct 10, 12:49am
I think it is the Mccormick's sesame dressing you are referring to- it is an extremely healthy dressing, the Japanese use it. I have had to post it to London to my daughter as she is quite fussy with dressings and really liked that one when she lived in Japan a few years ago.

ed65, Oct 10, 2:06am
I'd tried to replicate the restaurant dressing at home but could never get it quite right. So much easier to buy it in a bottle - and if it's extremely healthy like you say, then that's an added bonus!

ed65, Oct 10, 2:07am
Mrs McGregor's Cabbage Pickle (from the Fiordland Cook Book)

Ingredients: 1 large cabbage (it says green but red should be OK?), 4 medium sized onions, 1 litre vinegar, 1/2 cup flour, 2 cups sugar, 1 T curry powder, 1 T dry mustard, 1 T turmeric, 1/2 litre extra vinegar.

Method: Shred the cabbage and onions finely. Place into a large bowl and sprinkle the salt over the surface, leave for 24 hours. Drain. Tip into a preserving pan, add the litre of vinegar and boil slowly for 20 minutes. Mix the flour, sugar, curry powder, mustard and turmeric together. Stir in the 1/2 litre of vinegar and mix until smooth. Add to boiling cabbage stirring until thick. Boil for 5 minutes. Spoon into dry hot jars. Seal.

ed65, Oct 10, 2:17am
This is one I plan to try soon....

Russian Vegetable Pie (from 'Fresh & Natural Vegetarian Dishes for NZers')

Ingredients: 500g mushrooms, 3 cups sliced red cabbage, 75g cream cheese, cheese pastry (see below), 1/2 t marjoram, 4 hardboiled eggs, 2 sliced onions, 100g butter, 1/2 t tarragon.

Method: Line a 23cm pie dish with pastry. Saute mushrooms in 50g butter. Put into bowl. Saute cabbage, onions, herbs, salt and pepper, in remaining 50g butter. Stir constantly until softened and wilted. Spread cream cheese on bottom of pie crust. Slice eggs and arrange in a layer on top of cream cheese. Cover with cabbage and onion mixture. Cover this layer with the mushrooms. Cover with a pastry circle, flute edges and bake at 190 degrees C for 30-40 minutes or until crust is light brown.

Note: Cheese Pastry - soften 90g butter and cream with 90g (about 1 1/4 cups) of cheese. Add 1 cup of wholemeal flour and mix until the dough holds together. Knead gently, adding water if too crumbly. Chill for one hour before using.
I don't see why you couldn't use bought savoury short pastry instead? Or even puff pastry?

ed65, Oct 10, 2:21am
And finally, a recipe from the same book - Spiced Red Cabbage.

Ingredients: 1 large onion, 1 tart apple, 60g butter, 1 small red cabbage, 1/2 c vinegar, 1/2 c water, 1/2 c brown sugar, 6 whole cloves.

Method: Chop onion, apple and cabbage coarsely. Cook over medium heat with butter, stirring to ensure the butter coats everything. Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and cook overa low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Add more water during cooking if necessary. Serve hot or cold.

marlin9, Oct 10, 3:02am
ed65 - can not remember my mother using the flour etc

marree, Oct 10, 6:22am
I wish I had 'smell-a-vision' installed - takes me back to days of my nan's cooking (ed65') - I remember my nan cooking something similar.Meantime I've just steamed the red cabbage or finely shredded with a salad.I will definitely jot down your recipe & do sometime this week.

donnabeth, Oct 10, 8:54pm
My mother used to cook red cabbage with apple. Of course 50 years ago it was boiled for half an hour or more with a huge scoop of salt, so we all hated the grey mix that would be gooped on our plates.

Nowadays I cook the same recipe minus the salt for just a few minutes and serve it colourful and delicious.

marree, Oct 10, 11:37pm
Donnabeth, what is the ratio of cabbage & apple i.e. if half a cabbage would I use half / one apple & which way is best to cut apple (sliced / diced) - I want to try!

fisher, Oct 11, 12:30am
slice up a third of a large red cabbage and place in a saucepan with about 4 cm of water.. tsp of salt and gently cook for about 5 mins with lid on stirring occasionally... add two med peeled, cored and sliced apples.. 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and a tbsp of brown sugar.. mix all well to coat and dissolve sugar.. cook another 3-4 mins, drain off water and add a good knob of real butter and mix through... serve..

marree, Oct 11, 1:10am
Fisher - that sounds good- will try.Thank you.

beaker59, Oct 11, 7:17am
Tried that tonight Fisher was nice will do it again for sure red cabbages were cheap and excellent quality at out greengrocer at the moment.

Served it with chips (agria spuds done in the oven) and John Dory fillet pieces crumbed and fried in butter.

Fishing was very average yesterday only a couple of snapper and a huge John Dory I got on a live bait set in the hope of a Kingie. The fish was very very nice one of the best I have eaten in quite a while interestingly it had a massive liver when I gutted it barely fitted in the palm of my hand.

donnabeth, Oct 11, 8:10pm
marree, mine is very basic.

Half a red cabbage finely sliced with half an apple finely diced. Put the apple on the bottom. Cook in a little water or butter.The apple pulps to coat the cabbage and give it a little tang. My mother used to add cloves, but to this day I hate the smell of cloves so i always omit that bit.

marree, Oct 11, 8:19pm
So 'donnabeth' do I boil, rather than steam? I want to get it right.I won't go the cloves way either!! haha!

fisher, Oct 11, 10:12pm
beaker59 cheers... I have 5 med sized red cabbage left in my garden from the winter harvest.. Like it done that way...
Good ole agria... got to be the best spud about apart from jerseys, halved and boiled with butter parsley sauce all over them...(hurry up and grow lol) .. I need to use up the fish in my freezer ..snapper, gemfish, bass, kingfish, tuna, and broadbill before I can really take the boat out again.. smoked broadbill will be used when family come up for labour weekend and still have an 8kg smoked snapper as well..
John Dory, such a delicate but ugly fish :} pan fried in butter..?? We mechanical jig for kings up here.. good workout and always come home with fish.. most going back over the side regardless of size even if 20+ (only allow one small one each to take home)... where is y boat kept ??

fisher, Oct 11, 10:18pm
36°32'33.7"S, 174°56'10.5"E

beaker59, Oct 11, 11:43pm
Keep the boat at Gulf Harbour marina its a small keeler we also have been fishing workups out at the 45m mark behind Tiri but the fishing is best described as patchy at the moment Sunday it blew up so we came in close behind Tiri and fished reefs around Pidgeon Island hence the JD. last Tuesday it was very calm and we found a good workup out at the 45 and managed to get some good snapper and a big bronzie also lots of dolphins and a few whales seen. I also work as deckie on a few charter boats and the fishing has been average at best unless we get onto a good workup as you say although we do pick up some good fish in the channels getting better every week though so looking forward to next month.

fisher, Oct 12, 12:13am
Yup I'm way up north... fishing doubtless bay, rangiputa and out from Whangaroa... that mark is where the boys have been getting them..
limits using softbaits with fish of 3-4kg.. JD's on inchiku jigs out the back of the boat..

marree, Oct 12, 2:07am
Hi 'fisher' are you familiar with 'Butler's Point' (Mangonui)?My grandparents owned that property for many years before it was sold due to financial & health reasons.I was young at the time, but the main thing grandad made clear was that the property was not to be subdivided & also to be put under 'historic homes' - that was his wish & it happened.The property is worth millions now - been restored etc. I spent many school holidays etc there - so peaceful & quiet - I did not appreicate - wish I could have it now - absolute serentity.I remember walking out the front gate to beach (stony / rocky), the orchard and Maori Pa at top of hill, the smell of the tea tree bush, grandad going off deep sea fishing (Doubless Bay & was with Whangaroa Club), duck shooting, shearing sheep in the woolshed, nana cook up all sorts on the wood stove, people visiting (and in those days didn't have to lock the doors), fishing off the jetty that grandad built.I miss it so much - I just hope that kids living up there now appreciate.

marree, Oct 12, 2:12am
BTY I don't know how old you are, but my grandparents names were Bob & Mary Marchant.I guess you are young, but your older relatives would no doubt know them.

fisher, Oct 12, 3:08am
maree...if they cut down a few gum trees I could "just about" see "Butlers Point" and most of Hihi from where I'm sitting...

marree, Oct 15, 10:37am
Fisher where in Mangonui are you located - which Road?It's changed so much now I know.I miss that place so much!