Red Cabbage

survivalkiwi, Aug 26, 3:27am
Bump as i want to do this. Just making pickled onions so this is next weekends job

amm5, Aug 28, 8:43am
I love the one for sweet and sour red cabbage

1/2 red cabbage shreded
2 apples grated
2 table spoons brown sugar
2 table spoons butter
1/4 cup white vinegar

throw everything into large pot, with lid, and cook on a medium heat for 30-40 mins, Keeps well int he fridge, I take out enough for my next meal, Wonderful hot or cold

novices, Sep 19, 10:19am
Have misplaced a recipe from a latish edition of Bite Magazine (I think) for preserved or picked red cabbage. Ingredients: Red cabbage, Salt, Sugar and vinegar.
Delicious and keeps well in the fridge. Almost like Sauerkraut, no cooking.

autumnwinds, Sep 19, 12:29pm
This is a quick one, from a Josh Emmett Master class.
I'll give just the pickle part, but the whole recipe link is further down.

Josh Emmett Quick Pickled Cabbage (or any baby veges)
50ml cider vinegar
50ml water
25g sugar
¼ of a small green (or red) cabbage, thinly sliced, main stalks removed
Salt
1 red chilli, finely sliced

7. To make the pickled cabbage, lightly salt the cabbage and leave for 1 hour until slightly soft. Wash off all the salt under cold water and drain well.
8. To make the pickling liquid, place the vinegar, water and sugar in a saucepan and place over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool. Add the chilli to the cabbage then pour the pickling liquid over the cabbage. Leave for 1 hour and then serve.

Tips:
1. Red cabbage may be substituted for green cabbage.
2. The same pickling method can be used for other baby vegetables such as turnips and baby carrots.
3. The pickling liquid from the cabbage can be saved and used again.

Obviously the amounts can be upscaled easily, but this is a nice amount to trial, anyway! I must say I've collected a stash of 5 exciting-looking red cabbage recipes tonight, looking for you, OP. Couldn't find it in Bite, though - maybe it was like this, part of a meal?

http://tvnz.co.nz/masterchef-new-zealand/masterclass-braised-pork-belly-5352479

tjman, Sep 20, 9:53pm
Go to the English shop. You can buy it jars. It's nice. Haywards

valentino, Jan 1, 12:53pm
I noted that you noted "No Cooking" but the following recipe is worthy of a try, my partner loves it cold as well as hot but prefers it cold.

It is not a pickled one but anyway, have a look at it.

Also only use a half as it is quite a big dish.

Braised Red Cabbage

1 kg Red Cabbage Medium size or ½ medium to large
2 Cooking apples or 1 large apple chopped
2 small to medium or 1 large onions chopped
¼ tsp nutmeg
Pinch of ground cloves
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbs red wine vinegar
2 tbs walnut oil or Avocado oil ( we use the Olivado – Organic Natural Omega oils, has olive, avocado & flaxseed oils)
Salt & ground black pepper
Chopped parsley to garnish

Preheat oven 160C.
Cut away and discard the white ribs from cabbage
then finely shred.
Peel, core and grate or finely chop the apples.

Layer shredded cabbage in a large ovenproof dish with the onions, apples, spices and salt & pepper.
Pour over the vinegar and oil.

Cover the dish with a lid and cook for about 1 ½ hours stirring a couple of times, until the cabbage is very tender. Serve with parsley.