Mince, cabbage, curry powder, chicken noodle soup,

ksr, Oct 17, 12:57am
x3
and sultanas.Can I have your version please?

motorbo, Oct 17, 12:59am
i used to put a bit of rice in too and other veges didnt put sultanas in it

cap, Oct 17, 1:31am
Mum used to make it the same as motorbo - rice and no sultanas.Haven't had it since I left home and I don't miss it at all!

gardie, Oct 17, 2:59am
Kai Sing Ming - my mother called it.I've never made it since I've left home - and have no intention of doing so either.It was all the rage back then late 60's early 70's.

motorbo, Oct 17, 4:47am
yup thats what it was called, to be honest i dont have it now, but i have made it since the 70`s and its a tasty filling meal!!

fee1965, Oct 17, 5:45am
x1
500g mince, 1 chopped onion, 1 tsp curry powder, 1/4 c long grain rice, 1 beef or chicken oxo cube, 1 cups water, 1 packet chicken noodle soup, shredded cabbage.
1. Brown mince and onion, add curry and rice cook on high for 2 -3 mins.
2. Stir in noodle soup and water - simmer 10 mins.
3. Add shredded cabbage.Cover and cook slowly.Is ready when all water is absorbed.

fee1965, Oct 17, 5:46am
I have it called Kai Si Ming or One Pot Maggi Mince.

nik12, Oct 17, 5:49am
We made that at 'cooking' in intermediate.. if I didn't move so often I'd be able to find the old book :-).It's only, um 21 years old!

missmuppett, Oct 17, 6:30am
Oh gawwwd not ki si ming.... eeek, never ate it, never will! hahah

melp6, Oct 17, 6:38am
x1
Mince, rice, chicken noodle soup, cabbage,curry powder, water, onion

uli, Oct 17, 8:10am
x1
KAI MIN SING
This recipe is briliant for feeding a crowd without going to much trouble or expense.

1lb mince
1 onion (chopped)
1 tbsp oil
5 cups water
3 Tbsp rice
1 dsp curry powder
1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1 Tbsp tomato sauce
salt & pepper
2 cups frozen mixed veges
2 - 3 stalks celery
1/2 a cabbage
2Tbsp chicken stock powder
Noodles

Brown mince and onion in oil. Add water, rice and seasonings. Simmer 45 mins. Add veges (shredded cabbage included) and stock, and boil quickly till cooked. Add pre-cooked noodles.

http://www.grownups.co.nz/discuss/show/id/2010

I wonder what "KAI MIN SING" actually means?
Maybe "Chinese Food"?

charlieb2, Oct 17, 8:24am
Yep, we cooked it in Form one Home Ec.It had the thrilling title of: Beef Chow Mein.

Hmm, do you REALLY want me to go get the actual recipe?

maycey, Oct 17, 11:57pm

ksr, Oct 20, 5:33am
Thanks everyone.We had it as kids and I am keen to try it again - yum!

somethingsexy, Oct 20, 7:43am
Carrots, cabbage, a TBSP of rice, but you hace to add the sultanas to make the curry powder sweet not hot

quiz3, Oct 20, 8:24am
x2
I make the dish now and then but it never tastes like how Mum used tomake it. We used to call it "Poor Mans Chowmein"

rere_huia, Feb 3, 2:29am
x1
I think the Asian name for it is Ki Si Min, WITHOUT tomato sauce or worchestershire ERK. But I do put a tin of tomato's, fresh grated ginger, garlic, a dash of chilli, and 1 tlbsp of oyster sauce with it.
Kai (Maori for food) si min is our kiwi name for it. Anyway, my whole family love it, its a easy as 1 pot wonder and inexpensive. Yum Kai pai